• Other

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
.. .- -. -... ..- - .-..
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be shipping a bike from TX to MA

Been debating how i want to ship it back home.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Please inform me of any past experiences, methods, company's, building/strapping techinques.

THANKS!

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
id like to know myself.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Go the cheapest route and take lots of before pics and get the insurance. If not crated, it stands a really good chance to get damaged. Even "crated" bikes are usually not fully enclosed. I've had 2 bikes shipped, my r6 and Harley, neither were crated and the r6 arrived damaged and the Harley was undamaged. I got new fairings out of the insurance company of the shippers, but like dealing with any insurance company, it was a hassle.

Also consider selling it in TX and buying another when u get to MA.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
Go the cheapest route and take lots of before pics and get the insurance. If not crated, it stands a really good chance to get damaged. Even "crated" bikes are usually not fully enclosed. I've had 2 bikes shipped, my r6 and Harley, neither were crated and the r6 arrived damaged and the Harley was undamaged. I got new fairings out of the insurance company of the shippers, but like dealing with any insurance company, it was a hassle.

Also consider selling it in TX and buying another when u get to MA.
Damn saying a 50/50 shot of no **** up's is a generous number?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Forwardair.

They have their own crates.
It was the cheapest way to ship a bike the last time I had to ship one.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sadly, yes. Also, there is more to scrstch on a sport bike so more chances of them damaging it. I'd just expect them to damage it and be pleasantly surprised if they don't.

If I was moving, I'd either drive it (tow) myself or sell it and buy another one when I got there. So much depends on the "specialness" of the bike and where I was going, like what the markets are in each place for buying/selling.

·
Registered
5,244 Posts
I shipped a bike from N.Dakota on the back of a car trailer. It got alil dirty but nothing that couldnt be cleaned. If it were a show bike... Forward Air or an enclosed trailer shipper will be more expensive. I paid $500 for an 1800 mile transport.

You can also post an auction on Uship. (ebay for shipping large things)

·
.. .- -. -... ..- - .-..
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deal for the bike was worth buying it here & shipping it back home would still be lower than if i bought it back at home lol.

Ya i placed it up on you ship just to see.

I have access to build a crate and a fork truck at both pick up and drop off locations.
So just trying to see what the best avenue would be

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
I've shipped mine several times, whenever I moved, from MA to CA, TX to CO and back, TX to CA :laugh

I've used enclosed trailer and open trailer. No issues either ways. Crate is just too expensive but depends on your preference.

The times I used open trailer, the bike was in track skinz and all the street fairings were in a box, the shipper charged $50 more to haul the big box as well.

U-Ship is what I've used all the time with no issues.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Do NOT use AirVan. Worst fcuking company in the world. Honestly, I would use a trailer so you can ensure that no one else fcuks it up. I know I treat my stuff better than anyone else will and I dont mind stopping every so often to check my tie downs and such.

·
tall fcukin mutha fcuker
2,751 Posts
i bought a bike off the internet that was in Jacksonville FL, posted up on Uship.com an see what the lowest bid is

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
I shipped my a cbr from TX to MD on an 18-wheeler, car hauler style. Bike was exposed and arrived stupid filthy and a good rub on left fairing. All the dirt covered the scratch so I signed off 'un-damaged'. Oh well, +1 on USHIP.

I've only received quotes from them, but each shipper did a good job of explaining how they would transport. All of them said enclosed trailers and well-covered, but that's the typical sales pitch.

·
.. .- -. -... ..- - .-..
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well she was finally picked up in TX and getting ready to be shipped back to MA

·
.. .- -. -... ..- - .-..
504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Really, no comment? i would have almost been willing to bet someone would say something about this method...

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
It seems like that would be the preferred method if you had the extra dough to pay. They are specialized in bikes so know how to treat them as opposed to any other hauler.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,925 Posts
I crated both my r1 and my r6 when I moved from the US to Belgium . Asked to tie them down myself, and they let me do it no questions asked.

Only damages were rubs on the outside of each fork.

When i ship them again i will have the crates built around my Pitbull trailer restraint system plates.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts
Really, no comment? i would have almost been willing to bet someone would say something about this method...
Everyone's mind is blown from the awesomeness of those levers...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts