• Other

Votes: 1 12.5%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
.. .- -. -... ..- - .-..
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be shipping a bike from TX to MA

Been debating how i want to ship it back home.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Please inform me of any past experiences, methods, company's, building/strapping techinques.

THANKS!

·
Dangerously Irish
9,506 Posts
id like to know myself.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Go the cheapest route and take lots of before pics and get the insurance. If not crated, it stands a really good chance to get damaged. Even "crated" bikes are usually not fully enclosed. I've had 2 bikes shipped, my r6 and Harley, neither were crated and the r6 arrived damaged and the Harley was undamaged. I got new fairings out of the insurance company of the shippers, but like dealing with any insurance company, it was a hassle.

Also consider selling it in TX and buying another when u get to MA.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,506 Posts
Go the cheapest route and take lots of before pics and get the insurance. If not crated, it stands a really good chance to get damaged. Even "crated" bikes are usually not fully enclosed. I've had 2 bikes shipped, my r6 and Harley, neither were crated and the r6 arrived damaged and the Harley was undamaged. I got new fairings out of the insurance company of the shippers, but like dealing with any insurance company, it was a hassle.

Also consider selling it in TX and buying another when u get to MA.
Damn saying a 50/50 shot of no **** up's is a generous number?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Sadly, yes. Also, there is more to scrstch on a sport bike so more chances of them damaging it. I'd just expect them to damage it and be pleasantly surprised if they don't.

If I was moving, I'd either drive it (tow) myself or sell it and buy another one when I got there. So much depends on the "specialness" of the bike and where I was going, like what the markets are in each place for buying/selling.

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I shipped a bike from N.Dakota on the back of a car trailer. It got alil dirty but nothing that couldnt be cleaned. If it were a show bike... Forward Air or an enclosed trailer shipper will be more expensive. I paid $500 for an 1800 mile transport.

You can also post an auction on Uship. (ebay for shipping large things)

·
.. .- -. -... ..- - .-..
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Deal for the bike was worth buying it here & shipping it back home would still be lower than if i bought it back at home lol.

Ya i placed it up on you ship just to see.

I have access to build a crate and a fork truck at both pick up and drop off locations.
So just trying to see what the best avenue would be

·
AFM #327
15,146 Posts
I've shipped mine several times, whenever I moved, from MA to CA, TX to CO and back, TX to CA :laugh

I've used enclosed trailer and open trailer. No issues either ways. Crate is just too expensive but depends on your preference.

The times I used open trailer, the bike was in track skinz and all the street fairings were in a box, the shipper charged $50 more to haul the big box as well.

U-Ship is what I've used all the time with no issues.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,797 Posts
Do NOT use AirVan. Worst fcuking company in the world. Honestly, I would use a trailer so you can ensure that no one else fcuks it up. I know I treat my stuff better than anyone else will and I dont mind stopping every so often to check my tie downs and such.

·
tall fcukin mutha fcuker
2,745 Posts
i bought a bike off the internet that was in Jacksonville FL, posted up on Uship.com an see what the lowest bid is

·
My R6 loves me
321 Posts
I shipped my a cbr from TX to MD on an 18-wheeler, car hauler style. Bike was exposed and arrived stupid filthy and a good rub on left fairing. All the dirt covered the scratch so I signed off 'un-damaged'. Oh well, +1 on USHIP.

I've only received quotes from them, but each shipper did a good job of explaining how they would transport. All of them said enclosed trailers and well-covered, but that's the typical sales pitch.

·
Shiney up Rubber down
4,830 Posts
I crated both my r1 and my r6 when I moved from the US to Belgium . Asked to tie them down myself, and they let me do it no questions asked.

Only damages were rubs on the outside of each fork.

When i ship them again i will have the crates built around my Pitbull trailer restraint system plates.

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
Really, no comment? i would have almost been willing to bet someone would say something about this method...
Everyone's mind is blown from the awesomeness of those levers...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.