Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hoi.

Soooo...

I'm getting serious now (somewhat) about actually moving over to LA and need to think about the expense involved with the move.

I'm in no way interested in driving the six across the country, so I need to think about shipping the filthy little whore (thats my pet name for my bike) :hump

Anyone know an estimated price? Any recomendations?

I don't need to have the bike over there ASAP. And since I am relocating, money is of an issue with me. And no, I don't even want to rent a uhaul and drive across the country. I would definatly go insane then.

Thanks in advance for any help.
-e

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yeah, I drove across country from VA to CA, and it was the worst drive of my life. It's too bad that I'll probably have to do that drive again two more times next year. I hate that shit.

At any rate, my friend shipped his bike from NY to CA, and it cost about a 1,000 bucks. He had to prep is bike by taking out the gas and battery. They also put a shipping sticker on his windscreen that was a bitch to get off with all the residue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am in the middle of a move from FL to CA. I have two bikes (the wife's and mine) to transport. The 2nd bike really throws a kink into things, but with one bike you have some better options. What kind of vehicle do you own? If it's a truck with at least a moderate V6 your best bet is to tow the motorcycle on a trailer. Now, the bad news, Uhaul doesn't rent open trailers for one way moves, they are for in-town only. A closed trailer is a good option (5'x8') will work, but they are heavier, so be careful if your vehicle is a marginal tower. Right now CA is starved for moving equipment, so you can get incredible deals. A 5'x8' enclosed trailer from Uhaul from FL to CA is $74. The other good option is to just buy a small open trailer. They can be had for around $500 and you get to keep it. Bike shipping is very expensive. After looking into it initially, I decided it wasn't an option. Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I relocated from Buffalo, NY to Southern California a few months ago in April. If you are not goign to drive how are you getting all of your other belongings there? I reneted an 18' box truck from Penske, they are way cheaper than UHaul and a lot nicer trucks. I strapped down by 6, my track bike (F3) and a dirt bike and had more than half the truck left to fill with the rest of my ish. Oh yeah I also put my car on a car dolly and dragged it across the country. It was fun, stopped at the grand canyon while I was at it. Not that I want to do it again anytime soon.
Anyway, if your just going to sell off all your stuff and fly out there, ship your bike Forward Air in one of their motorcycle containers. https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp Probably cost about $500

·
Registered
26 Posts
I relocated from Buffalo, NY to Southern California a few months ago in April. If you are not goign to drive how are you getting all of your other belongings there? I reneted an 18' box truck from Penske, they are way cheaper than UHaul and a lot nicer trucks. I strapped down by 6, my track bike (F3) and a dirt bike and had more than half the truck left to fill with the rest of my ish. Oh yeah I also put my car on a car dolly and dragged it across the country. It was fun, stopped at the grand canyon while I was at it. Not that I want to do it again anytime soon.
Anyway, if your just going to sell off all your stuff and fly out there, ship your bike Forward Air in one of their motorcycle containers. https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp Probably cost about $500

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few months ago, I moved back to America from Japan... so I only have my motorcycle, surfboard, camera and laptop ... oh and a suitcase of clothes.

I only need to ship one box of my "stuff" for now. Otherwise it's all checked baggage. The motorcycle is my only issue.

I don't even own a car (haven't had one in 4 years) so driving across the country in it... isn't possible if I don't have one. hehe.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be checking this container thing.

ed, who did your friend use? was it some local shipper?

·
Registered
347 Posts
if you have the money, sell your bike and buy one here.

if you dont' want to do that. throw your bike in to a river, file for insurance and buy one here.

:stupic just kidding.

i'm not a expert on moving stuff. but good luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
Pick up a Walnecks classic bike trader. There are all kinds of shippers in there. I had several shipped from the east coast to Seattle for $500-$700 depending on the distance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts