Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I bought a shoei rf-1000, cool looking helmet. Take it home and the thing fogs up so bad I can't see a thing out of it. I have to practically ride with the visor up so I dont run into anything! Any advice/tips to help with the fog? Good looking helmet and feel but....seems like performance = junk. I hope thats not the case.

·
Registered
318 Posts
you can get some fog stuff from the autoparts store. WHen i ride i leave my visor down and try and breath down towards my neck so it doesnt fog and then when I come up to stop lights i just flip it up. You can also just flip it up one notch and it leaves like a 1/4 inch opening which will keep it from fogging.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, does anyone elses' helmet fog up like crazy if they keep the visor all the way down? Its pretty lame that you would pay like 400 bucks for a helmet and then have to "treat" the visor with a fog spray/wipe to keep it from fogging up.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I got a KBC helmet now that has a breath deflector built in but my little brother has the same helmet you do and the same problem. He used to have to wear a ski mask, and then he bought this velcro like deflector that slipped inside his helmet and he said it helped out...my only other suggestions would be to buy a breath deflector of some type from shoei. Good Luck.

·
Registered
527 Posts
You should be able to add a breath deflector like on the rf-900. If not just spit on the shield and that will stop the fog. I didn't beleive it but it works.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Yah mine usually fogs up quite quickly.

But that's only after I had a dozen Corona's at the local pub! :drink

Seriously, I just pop it up a little to let the airflow clear the condensation. After every ride (not to sound anal) I usually try to clean the shield off with the cleaner. It makes it less prone to fogging up

·
Registered
170 Posts
Here's something that I've tried that works.

Take some shaving cream (foam), and apply a thin layer over the entire inner side of the visor. Let it sit for about 15-20 seconds, then wipe it off.

You can do the same for your bathroom mirrors to prevent them from fogging up.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've got the X-Eleven by Shoei which has the breath deflector and it doesn't help very much. When I'm stopped at lights the visor fogs up unless I control my breathing. At spead the front vents in the helmet do a decent job of defogging the visor. I spit on the visor and it helped a little. I'm going to grab some anti-fog solution and see if it helps at lights. I'll let you know if it helps more than shooting saliva on it. :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
For some reason Shoei's seem to fog worse than a lot of the other helmets.

I used to ride with an RF, and that thing would fog on a nice day.

One of my new racing buddies crashed during the race on Sat because his shield fogged going into a turn and he ran wide.

Even with my Arai, I find that I have to leave the shield cracked a bit... but I NEVER get that blinding fog like I used to get with my Shoei.

·
Registered
836 Posts
For some reason Shoei's seem to fog worse than a lot of the other helmets.

I used to ride with an RF, and that thing would fog on a nice day.

One of my new racing buddies crashed during the race on Sat because his shield fogged going into a turn and he ran wide.

Even with my Arai, I find that I have to leave the shield cracked a bit... but I NEVER get that blinding fog like I used to get with my Shoei.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I'm on my second Shoei, this one an X-11. I absolutely love the thing. The trick I've found is to clean the shield once a week and apply new Anti-Fog and Rain-X. I have to do it that often anyway since most of my riding during the week is at night when the bugs seem to aim for my bike and shield. Especially if I just washed the bike, they seem to notice that and just go splat! I usually crack my shield all the time except for highway riding. The fresh air helps the fogging, and I like to get some cool air in the helmet to help vent the nasty exhaust from those civics with melon shooter exhaust systems.

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
963 Posts
I've had the RF-1000 for a while now, and alls I had to do was pull down on the latch to open the visor just a crack, and it's never fogged up on me again. Yeah, keeping the visor all the way down fogs it up a bit, but by opening the crack, it gets clear again.

·
Registered
995 Posts
yo lads why not add a "fog city". i stuck one on my lid and have never had to crack it open since

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the RF-900 and have the 1000 now. The 1000 does seem to fog up as much as the 900 did although it was supposed to have better airflow. I haven't been able to get a deflector specifically for the 1000 since I bought it in October since everyone's always got it on backorder, but the one for the 900 fits perfectly. It still fogs a little bit when stopped but never while riding. And you don't have to ride with the visor cracked open. Besides, that totally defeats the purpose of having the crazy cool visor!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
ive never had a problem with my shoei fogging up, my model is the rf-900 and i just open the vent in the front and i never have a problem, of course if your breathing hard right onto the visor its going to fog, when it does fog when im riding i angle my head downward and with the vent in the front open it de-fogs right away, i dunno just my $0.02

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright just bought some of the anti fog stuff from the bike shop, gonna give it a try and see how it works out. I'm just a little disappointed with how badly the visor fogs up. I mean...it is a $400 helmet, I would expect them to do something to help with the fog. I'm not talking about a little fog where you can just ignore it. I'm talking about the ENTIRE visor fogged up to the point where you can't see anything out of it at all.

My friends got that 2nd visor thingy that fits on the inside of the visor and that seems to work wonders.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My older helmet was a Shoei RF-900 which would fog up also, and the trick is just have the shield cracked a bit and that should resolve your problem.

My new helmet is the Arai Quantam 2 and I dont have that problem at all anymore. Good Luck !

:hump

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
well my vega helmet i have for backup fogged up pretty easy but my new agv xr-2 has no prob stayin clear. also a good trick to keep it from foggin up is to do like scuba guys do before they dive, spit on the inside of the shield and rub it around. works great for me :mrgreen:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok tried the anti fog spray crude. Doesn't work. Gonna have to give Bravo's "fog city" an email and see what they can do about my fogging issue.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts