Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I don't know if this is allowed in this forum or not since some forums frown on VS. threads, but my situation is thus:

I recently received some Vortex frame sliders for my birthday for my 06 R6. Now, these are the CUT type where you have to make a decent sized hole in the mid fairings on either side.

Unfortunately I am not so sure I like the idea of having frame sliders sticking out the sides of some big ass holes on the sides of my fairings....

My other option would be to re-sell the Vortex sliders and get some Shogun no-cut frame sliders.

What is everyones experience with these two types?
Which is more reliable? CUT or NO CUT
Any other considerations I should take into account?

I am not planning on doing the fairing cutting myself since I don't have the tools nor the inclination to do so myself. I will probably just take it to a local Yamaha dealer, if I decide to go that route....

Hope to get some help on this topic. Thanks in Advance.

-Rob

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
I have the shogun no cut crash kit on my bike and it all installed in a snap and was very easy, everything feels good and sturdy and from what I've heard will always do it's job, you may have to replace the mounting bracket for the one on the left side but hey, that's what it's there for, to ABSORB the force of the impact.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Absolutely stay with the cut type, much stronger. Trust me I 've "tested" :dunce:a bunch of sliders on the R6's. The no cuts always bend with any decent crash. Its worth notching the farings a little bit.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I had no cut shoguns put on on my 07 when I bought it. After 4 months, the side with the bracket just fell off. I just happened to notice that the bracket was still there, but there was no spool. I was like WTF???

After doing some research on the forum and internet, I came to the conclusion that this is not uncommon. Although most people don't experience it, I did find a few other examples of the same thing. In addition, the bracket could bend on impact and cause more damage to the engine and frame than had it not been installed in the first place.

I purchased some woodcraft cuts (excellent quality-people seem to recommend woodcraft or vortex) and installed them myself. It took about 2 hours and installed very nicely. They are a TON sturdier than the Shoguns and I feel like I have protected my investment as much as I can.

Bottom line, Shoguns and cheap and worthless as framesliders-I do not recommend them at all. The votex you have right now are some of the best on the market-right next to woodcraft.

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
I had no cut shoguns put on on my 07 when I bought it. After 4 months, the side with the bracket just fell off. I just happened to notice that the bracket was still there, but there was no spool. I was like WTF???

After doing some research on the forum and internet, I came to the conclusion that this is not uncommon. Although most people don't experience it, I did find a few other examples of the same thing. In addition, the bracket could bend on impact and cause more damage to the engine and frame than had it not been installed in the first place.

I purchased some woodcraft cuts (excellent quality-people seem to recommend woodcraft or vortex) and installed them myself. It took about 2 hours and installed very nicely. They are a TON sturdier than the Shoguns and I feel like I have protected my investment as much as I can.

Bottom line, Shoguns and cheap and worthless as framesliders-I do not recommend them at all. The votex you have right now are some of the best on the market-right next to woodcraft.
+1 I have Woodcrafts on mine they hold up the best out of any i've tried Woodcraft FTW

·
Atom Smasher
861 Posts
I have tested the shogun no cuts, they work very well.

·
VVVVVVRRRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMMM
221 Posts
I am not sure about my brand of frame sliders ( dealer ordered them for me when I bought the bike as part of the deal ) but they are the no cut kind.. Been down on both sides and slid.. One side slid roughly... 50 feet in the dirt off the side of the road. Surprisingly the slider didn't bend or rip off. Still on there today! :p

·
i follow the speed limit
149 Posts
i got shogun cut sliders. fit good, good quality. (thankfully didnt test them yet).
but from all the research i got it says to stay away from no cut and those brackets.
better safe than sorry, and i dont care to cut that piece off, if u want to go back i guess u can buy one of those fairings cheap on ebay.

·
Jonesing for track
442 Posts
I have Shogun No-Cuts and went down and the bike slid a good 40+ feet, ground a 1/2 inch off the slider and held up amazingly. I'll stick to Shogun the rest of my riding days.

·
Zoom
377 Posts
Hmm. I went with the Motovation no cuts. They seem to have more steel when it comes to the bracket holding them to the frame. Not been down yet. Knock on wood.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the Shogun's but haven't "tested" them out, I figured it was a lot better than nothing and I still am not quite ready to start cutting things yet although from what I have read the cut ones will protect better.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
100% go with the cut...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts