Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wassup Fellow Riders!

It’s time for a little mod on the exhaust of the R6. So I thought I’d post the progress and results. Excuse some of the fuzzy pics, those were taken on an iPhone while the clear pics were taken on real camera. So here goes...

First the before photo:

Then the obvious, I did some measurements and removed the exhaust can:

The objective was to preserve the Yosh plate & reduce the overall length of the exhaust can:

After all the measurements and markings were made, we made the first cut. This part took a little longer than expected. We first used a dremel with cutting disks for metal, but it wasn’t getting anywhere….hmmm.. maybe because the can was made of Titanium!? :D In the end we used a reciprocating saw and it worked out ok.

We had to reuse the front end cap of the exhaust can. So, we drilled out the rivets on the front band:

At this point, we were able to pull the front end cap off. Notice all the exhaust packing at the top of the picture that came out. Also notice the remaining center core that had to be dealt with.

I couldn’t reattach the front end cap with the core being so long. Otherwise, it would run in to the rest of the core from the other end and prevent from installing it. So, I had to do a little more trimming:

After that some clean up of the ends was in order:

Now the hard part; reassembly. Doing this alone, I could see why it would be difficult, but since I had extra hands, it didn’t take too long to do some prying and finagling:

Time to redrill holes for new rivets. I used the exhaust band as a template to mark where I need to drill the holes for the rivets.

What time is it? Rivet time!

Rebuild complete:

“Lemme get my polish on”

VOALLA...Fin:

With the right tools and extra set of hands this mod took about 2hrs. The sound is a little louder but not ridiculously loud and it looks DAMN good!

-Ikaika

·
I heart my R6
464 Posts
looks soooooo much better!!!!..Great job and great pics

this mod has been around for awhile, ive always wanted to try it on some of my other bikes, but im too chicken haha

·
Registered
375 Posts
thats gotta take some balls to cut up ur can! looks a lot better, good job

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
i have been wanting to do that to my CF can for a while, just afraid to screw it up and i dont have the money for a new can

·
I'll do my best.
35 Posts
Nice. I can see myself right now, totally jacking that up, and getting mad at you for putting that idea in my head. Its OK though, cause mine already has a midge on it.

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
did lose/gain any power? or was this for looks

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i have been wanting to do that to my CF can for a while, just afraid to screw it up and i dont have the money for a new can
Nice. I can see myself right now, totally jacking that up, and getting mad at you for putting that idea in my head. Its OK though, cause mine already has a midge on it.
Really...when you have the right tools and the right measurements I don't see how you can screw it up!

did lose/gain any power? or was this for looks
No loss or gain in power just for looks but it did infact get louder.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nah...it looks good the way it is and besides I wasn't trying for the 06 look.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The original rivet size on the can is 3/8" I used 1/4".

·
sv corners faster than R6
124 Posts
Been thinking of doing this but more for crash protection (I race). The current exhaust on my 05 (TI) just hangs out there and in a flipping crash would get torn off including the subframe/tail.

I am concerned about the performance aspects. We all know that the pressure pulse reduces efficiency of the 4 stroke engine and I believe that the shorter exhaust would have less damping effect and may actually drop horsepower. I'd love to see a dyno run before and after the swap. For the street this is probably not an issue - you tend to ride the midrange vs top end most of the time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts