Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to do the shorty exhaust conversion on my 2004 R6 with a stock exhaust from a 2009 r6. I wanted to paint mine black and would like to know if this would be cool. I'm looking for a matt finish.

This is all I have at home right now, however if its not suitable then I can pick up some hycote high temperature black paint and lacquer which is for this exact purpose. The crystal clear says matt finish at the bottom of the can.

Thanks

·
190rwhp......:eek5
10,295 Posts
That should work...I rattle canned mine with high temp engine paint (basically the same as what youre going to use) with no clear finish...came out pretty damn good and its holding up flawlessly...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really? I was thinking of avoiding the clear because I dont think its suitable for high temp purposes.

·
10,295 Posts
that should work...i rattle canned mine with high temp engine paint (basically the same as what youre going to use) with no clear finish...came out pretty damn good and its holding up flawlessly...
really? I was thinking of avoiding the clear because i dont think its suitable for high temp purposes.
:d ...

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL either im mistaken or you obviously said you didn't use a clear. :sleeping

·
10,295 Posts
Its all good...Im pretty hung over and just woke up too...:lmao

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Its all good...Im pretty hung over and just woke up too...:lmao
So hold up....is that what you did to your exhaust that you have on your bike now? Simply rattle canned it with black grill spray paint???

If that's the case, could I potentially do that to my hotbodies megaphone exhaust? I was going to just get it ceramic coated because I was worrying that powder coating would eventually just chip off from the heat and vibration.

Thanks!

·
10,295 Posts
So hold up....is that what you did to your exhaust that you have on your bike now? Simply rattle canned it with black grill spray paint???

If that's the case, could I potentially do that to my hotbodies megaphone exhaust? I was going to just get it ceramic coated because I was worrying that powder coating would eventually just chip off from the heat and vibration.

Thanks!
Yeah, you could probably get away with it, but Id say the only difference between mine and you HB megaphone is that I have packing in mine so the outside doesnt get as hot as the megaphone would...but, like I said, you could probably get away with it...

Theres only one way to find out...

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts
Yeah, you could probably get away with it, but Id say the only difference between mine and you HB megaphone is that I have packing in mine so the outside doesnt get as hot as the megaphone would...but, like I said, you could probably get away with it...

Theres only one way to find out...
Haha true! I just put on gold rearsets and that silver exhaust had to go bad. Gotta get it in black, but rather ten buying a new one I think the safest bet is to ceramic coat it due to the heat.

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
rustoleum 1500º paint is the best. Why fool with doing it multiple times when you can do it once, right?

-Ant.

·
2008 R6
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is a primer necessary before I get the high temp on there?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Is a primer necessary before I get the high temp on there?
nope.. just scuff it up a bit with some light sandpaper or whatever, and then just start with a very light coat, and let that dry first.. the other coats will stick right on..

i used some reg rustoleum high temp engine paint, worked like a charm... its been painted since may, and it hasnt chiped or anything..:flex:

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man. Your bike is looking good!

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Haha true! I just put on gold rearsets and that silver exhaust had to go bad. Gotta get it in black, but rather ten buying a new one I think the safest bet is to ceramic coat it due to the heat.
I got a black Hot bodies Megaphone for sale!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
OK got the exhaust on there and it sounds good!

One thing I found though. I can feel a leak from the exhaust near the heat shield. Its like a tiny round hole or something. Is that meant to be there? Its pointing directly towards the ground.

The actual pipe area is completely clamped down and no leakage at all.

EDIT: After doing some searching around on here it seems its a moisture drip.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Any answers?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts