Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have an 05 with a yoshimura setup currently.

I love the look of the shorty cans (GYTR). But apparently on the 05 the can has to be so big to work as a sort of catalytic converter. I've been told if I were to just bolt on a shorty muffler that it would sound like it was running straight off the header - which is way too loud for my taste.

Is this actually the case? The yoshi pipe is plenty loud for me and I could handle a smidge louder, but I don't want to be obnoxious.

Anyone that can honestly give me a first hand answer to this?

·
MACGYVER 05 R6 NJ
4,033 Posts
So, I have an 05 with a yoshimura setup currently.

I love the look of the shorty cans (GYTR). But apparently on the 05 the can has to be so big to work as a sort of catalytic converter. I've been told if I were to just bolt on a shorty muffler that it would sound like it was running straight off the header - which is way too loud for my taste.

Is this actually the case? The yoshi pipe is plenty loud for me and I could handle a smidge louder, but I don't want to be obnoxious.

Anyone that can honestly give me a first hand answer to this?
Just cut it down a few inches it will not make it much louder and it will look better.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just cut it down a few inches it will not make it much louder and it will look better.
That's not the look I'm going for. I'd still have the connector pipe and the can would still be covering up the rear swingarm and wheel. I want the clear up the rear end and have the whole back wheel visible - much like the 06+ bikes are setup.

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
I see that it can be done. But anymore info other than the pic? How does it sound on your 03? Way loud or raspy? Nice bike by the way.
well, how do you want me to describe a sound? its not raspy, but it does scream. its loud and if your not looking for that, this pipe is not for you. thing is, here in FL, every bike is loud, so its not a big deal.

i personally love my pipe, aesthetically and sound. thanks too :toocool:

·
Registered
351 Posts
Hr1

Attachments

·
vroom vroom party starter
137 Posts
i love the look of my HR1 as well... however, the tone makes my right ear angry... I will now be riding with ear plugs..

My GF in her Honda Civic, air conditioner, radio blaring could hear me on the bike about 30 ft in front of her.

the tone of the HR1 is a bit hard to describe. its a lot lower pitched than any other inline motor i have heard... and it happens to be the loudest i have heard on a sportbike... I am trying to track down a friend i trust to ride the bike by me a few times so i can figure out if its just that loud to me or if it is really that loud... but until then, i get off the gas when i see a cop...

i would say, just get a stock exhaust off an 06-08. have the inlet stretched to fit over your pipe. there are quite a few write ups on it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dude I just did this mod yesterday! It looks badass and sounds awesome. Mine's an 2004 but the '05 looks similar so it should work the same right? To do it, I had to measure the diameter of the headers where it connect and stretch the slip on (since it wasn't made for the year) to make it fit.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dude I just did this mod yesterday! It looks badass and sounds awesome. Mine's an 2004 but the '05 looks similar so it should work the same right? To do it, I had to measure the diameter of the headers where it connect and stretch the slip on (since it wasn't made for the year) to make it fit.
Looks good man. What setup did you have before and how would you compare the sound levels?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had it stock before. And the sound level of the stock pales in comparison to this one. This thing is loud. As far as how loud compared to other slip on, I can't say since none of my friends have an after market exhaust.

·
Chi-Towns Finest
347 Posts
hey jackiss28888, how did you mount that pipe? i am going to try and get a jardine gp1 on my 05.....did you just end up welding it on there? no problems with it moving, or burning your foot?

·
what?
906 Posts
do a search on YouTube for "motorcycle GYTR."

The Riot exhaust is the only shorty out there so far for the '03 to '05. Everything else can be modified.

·
Registered
142 Posts
The riot is hella loud!!!!! I just got mine and I'm honestly thinking of selling it now cuz its so dam loud. The sound is awesome but stinkin loud to the point where I don't think I can handle it.

I called Hardrock motorsports and they said that they wouldn't recommend riding with the can all the way closed as it would be too much back pressure and that the can might eventually fly off..lol! So there goes my idea of putting in my own silencer. Just my 2 cents.

·
PhotoChopper
2,369 Posts
I am trying to track down a friend i trust to ride the bike by me a few times so i can figure out if its just that loud to me or if it is really that loud... but until then, i get off the gas when i see a cop...
:lmao Same here either that or hold in clutch until they pass. It's hard to be quiet when the traffic light turns green and there's a cop nearby though :D

If you don't like the sound of straight headers, Don't get the HR1 :sing
For Installation : I had to flip one of the welded mounts to get enough spacing to clear the swingarm and other parts on the bike.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.