Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had my R6 for about 3 weeks now and I'm getting tired of the massive pipe that the bike came with. I've done some research on shorty slip ons for the R6S but it seems that the compatibility with the pipes now a days does not go with the old R6 models but rather the newer R6R from 2006 onwards. I'm not looking for those generic universal pipes that sell for dirt cheap on ebay but actually something decent like an Akrapovic or a Yoshimura, you get the picture. Does anybody know if a modern shorty slip on pipe would actually be able to work on a 2005 R6S?

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is a universal carbon. Good quality and fits perfect on my 2003. And it was only about 50€. Has very nice sound as well!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is a universal carbon. Good quality and fits perfect on my 2003. And it was only about 50€. Has very nice sound as well!

I've never been too keen on universal pipes, but that doesn't look bad at all. How does it sound though? Is it obnoxiously loud like a straight pipe or is it quite far off from that?

I went with the OEM + route with the regular r6 shorty pipe

R6 -03-07 exhaust conversion -COMPLETED - Sportbikes.net

simple and clean looking, sounds beastly too
That looks just amazing, I'll probably have to find someone who can do that for me. I'm not too comfortable cutting stuff up on my bike and making custom attachments and all, but that is really sexy looking.

Coffman makes shorties. have you tried them out?
Yeah I saw those, I'm not too fond of the fact that its a universal pipe though. The fact that it comes in bright colours at the end of the pipe like red, green and blue makes it look like a pipe for squids which just adds to the fact that its a cheap universal pipe. But I would probably go for a black one if I had to. Though they are really nice looking pipes in my opinion, probably my favourite universal looking pipe that I've seen so far.

It seems that finding a solid pipe for this bike is quite a challenge. It's unfortunate that companies didn't make proper shorty pipes for these bikes back in the day.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so I found a Coffman shorty slip on, on Amazon for $220. The question is will this fit on my 2005 R6S? It says that it is compatible with only the 2006-2009 R6S. Are there any big differences between the 2005 and the 2006 R6S in terms of dimensions on the exhaust pipes?

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Coffmans-Shorty-Exhaust-2003-05-2006-09/dp/B00I8SIXAK/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523367682&sr=1-5&keywords=coffman%2Bshorty%2Bexhaust&th=1[/ame]

·
Zip ties and Duct tape
172 Posts
Alright so I found a Coffman shorty slip on, on Amazon for $220. The question is will this fit on my 2005 R6S? It says that it is compatible with only the 2006-2009 R6S. Are there any big differences between the 2005 and the 2006 R6S in terms of dimensions on the exhaust pipes?

https://www.amazon.com/Coffmans-Shorty-Exhaust-2003-05-2006-09/dp/B00I8SIXAK/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523367682&sr=1-5&keywords=coffman+shorty+exhaust&th=1
worth a shot man, you can give it a try but I trust the fitting specs from coffman. i have a coffman exhaust myself that fits perfectly on my 08, but it fits pretty snug and requires some wiggling to get on and off.

·
Registered
192 Posts
its not hard to do. follow instructions.. hardest part was cutting the titanium muffler... but just go to a welding shop they should cut it for super cheap. the rest is cake.

·
UR B-hind Da 8 Ball
5,840 Posts

https://www.amazon.com/Coffmans-Shorty-Exhaust-2003-05-2006-09/dp/B00I8SIXAK/ref=sr_1_5?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1523367682&sr=1-5&keywords=coffman+shorty+exhaust&th=1
2005 exhaust would be the same as 03-04 R6 and 06-09 R6S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts