Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

do u think u should be allowed to wear headphones on the track?

• yes

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • no

Votes: 38 65.5%
  • do as you wish

Votes: 14 24.1%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
i dont race on any track except drag racing...but judging from my inexperience with those types of tracks, i would go with no...music is too much of a distraction, especially if your flying around some turns extremely close to a bunch of other bikes...accident waiting to happen for some folks

·
Premium Member
30,470 Posts
nope. doesn't matter what a person says, it DOES take away a little of your attention, and when your safety and the safety of others around you are "in your hands" there's no room for error. a firm no... i actually don't think they should allowed while riding at all... just my opinion. need all the input you can to stay safe... INCLUDING your hearing.

·
B4B
12,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i dont race on any track except drag racing...but judging from my inexperience with those types of tracks, i would go with no...music is too much of a distraction, especially if your flying around some turns extremely close to a bunch of other bikes...accident waiting to happen for some folks
nope. doesn't matter what a person says, it DOES take away a little of your attention, and when your safety and the safety of others around you are "in your hands" there's no room for error. a firm no... i actually don't think they should allowed while riding at all... just my opinion. need all the input you can to stay safe... INCLUDING your hearing.
great points! keep em coming and please dont turn this into an e-war i just want ur opinions and votes...:YEA

·
Custom User Title
696 Posts
HELL NO. Aside from the distraction factor, if you're riding close quarters with other bikes, engine noise a big part of knowing where the other bikes are in relation to you. I don't want to dice it up with someone who is handicapped from an awareness standpoint. I think it needs to be fineable if you're caught on the track with music, and ticketable on the street.

·
Torn apart from my bike
339 Posts
IMO its not really a distraction. Unless your JAMMING to it then yea it would be but if its faint but u can still hear it then sure. In my experience you normally forget about the music in the heat of the moment. For instance.. Your going down the street and u get the urge to pass someone because they are going hella slow... in the heat of passing them i usually forget the music is playing and am listening to my engine whine. :p Anyways unless you are the type of person that gets totally distracted by music i dont see a prob with it. Just my .02 cents. FYI: I always like to take the other side when one side is outnumbered :)

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
Music headphones, I say no. But earplugs I would say yes. I listen to music like on my morning commute to work. But on the way home I usually take the twisties, so no music. I did it once, and it really does pose a bit of a distraction.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I'm ok with people wearing earplugs to cut down on the wind noise but music should not be played while riding on a track. Even if it doesn't distract you, it doesn't allow you to hear me right next to you before you swing out wide and park it going down the front straight.

·
My R6 rocks!
161 Posts
I usually wear earplugs, it allows me to concentrate better. However, during the endurance races I like to have music. After the first 20 mins, it is pretty much worked out who is going to place where. Then it is just a matter of keeping it on two wheels. I find the music helps keep me on pace.

·
Registered
37 Posts
when riding alone on long rides or one or two bikers who i ride with alot then I like to listen to music as it keeps me from speeding as on the long straight streches even though im riding i get bored and want to speed.
but when running through twisties or on a group ride i dont listen to music as like stated before i like to listen to were the other riders are to make sure i dont cut them off or they dont cut me off.

i think it has its time and place.. out of town on long rides it is good. in town or on a group ride or twisties not good.

thats my thoughts.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
For street riding I do it almost every time. I'm not pushing it at all on a street ride, and my earphones are half earplug (Shure E2C), so the music isn't turned up so loud that I can't hear anything else.

For a trackday, there's no way. I don't want music and I don't want anyone else listening to it out there with me either. I've almost been run off the track by guys who weren't paying enough attention even without music blaring in their ears. If the guy couldn't hear me when I was right beside him without music playing, I don't even want to think about what he would do to someone if he did have something else vying for his attention.

·
Registered
40 Posts
No - track days are inherently dangerous. People can get killed. Not trying to be dramatic, but riding bikes at speeds of 150+ can get you killed.

I don't want to be on the track with people listening to music. Tech checks your bike to ensure your safety and that of others. Instructors keep an eye on the gear people have. It is up to the individuals to do the 'tech inspection' of themselves...stay hydrated, well-fed, etc, so that risks are minimized.

There is enough going on at track days with different bikes (i.e. closing speed), different talent levels (closing speed, entry speed/amount of braking done in braking zones unknown, and not knowing how well people keep their lines creates enough risk. Music creates one more distraction.

I understand that this may sound like trying to police what others are doing, but when the risks they take affect the safety of others pretty directly, I think it is justified.

·
Will work for parts...
201 Posts
I say no. Too distracting. And also, you would have to crank up the music so loud to drown out all of the bikes screaming by, AND the wind noise. I wear earplugs, and if i didn't my hearing would definitely be altered by now.

52,014 Posts
just like the title says. do you think riders should be allowed to wear earphones on the track? post up ur opinions and vote on the poll...:fact
Be honest... your tires being cold wasn't the real reason you crashed was it???

·
Until the day comes
580 Posts
HELL NO. Aside from the distraction factor, if you're riding close quarters with other bikes, engine noise a big part of knowing where the other bikes are in relation to you. I don't want to dice it up with someone who is handicapped from an awareness standpoint. I think it needs to be fineable if you're caught on the track with music
agreed

1 - 20 of 26 Posts