Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive been planing on building a 2008 r6 for the track. i had a 2006 r6s i rode on the street untill i got hit by some dumb bitch! so i decided to hit the track n stay off the road for now. i found this bike on e bay and am thinking of buying it. what you guys think? i plan on hitting the track 1-2 times a month. i didnt want to spend all this money at once but after a while i planed on it. should i buy it? is it worth it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300250524972

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
For $15,000? Hell no, for that you can buy a brand new one to ride on the street and an extra for the track.

·
Ballin'
1,036 Posts
Seems nice, but I dunno. If you really wanted one for just the track, maybe, just because of what's on it and the work. If you would go track and street, might as well buy a new one and put what you want on it. That is a high price for a bike.

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
It would be nice to get a Graves '08 AMA track ready R6. You know the thing is putting down the HP. You might get in touch with him and make a lower offer and see if he bites.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Quick question. Can you out ride a stock R6 with a basic Ohlins setup? R6S to a full setup track bike is a HUGE jump. It's not just the bike it's the rider. I would get a stock R6 and spend the rest on those track days, trailer, tire warmers and another set of tools for your trailer.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
i dont plan on riding on the street n e more. but i do plan on buying a 08 no matter what and keeping it for at least 3 years. a brand new bike will b about 10k out the door 5k more isnt that much. 1k for body work another 1k for exhuast anothyer 1k for p/c ign/ module, quick shifter and tune. that leave 2k for all the other extras.
no i dont need all those things now. but i know for sure ill b doing at least 1 track day a month and plan on doing the keith code superbike school. if itll take me a year to buy all those extras after buying a stock bike id still save money. im looking at this for the long term.
the way im looking at it is that id be paying 5k for all the extras on a bike.
my r6s is totaled by the way

·
Sexy Time
757 Posts
nice bike, but unless you can really ride i wouldnt put 15k foreward.

·
I'm To Sexy For My Raven
2,709 Posts
Then knock your socks off, it's your money... And be sure to post plenty of PIX of the ride when you get her...

·
08 Yamaha R6
3,057 Posts
If you can contact him and he was will to just take $15,000 I would do it. Like you said you are looking at 10g just for the new bike out the door, then to do everything to get it ready for the track you are looking at an easy 5g. This bike is setting with a nice built out engine, and it is already tuned, just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
11,269 Posts
o yeah and don't forget a full suit, new gloves and boots, and other possible expenses like tire warmers, stands, generators... blah blah blah. there's another $4K :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
I guess when you think about it 15k aint too bad...but then again "never licensed" so does it have a title? could it ever be riding on the street if wanted? What if you dump it on the track and say F bikes all together and want to sell, seems like you would have a small target to sell too. just my 2cents

·
2007 R6
915 Posts
well if the guy didn't act like a dick in his auction i would maybe consider giving some advice to buy it, but whatever, i wouldn't buy that but it does look like a sweet bike

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
theres no title. which is fine since i dont plan on riding on the street. i called the guy and he said he wants $17,000 for it, this starting bid was just 15k. so 17 is too much for me. 15 is a little high too but well worth it when i grow into it i guess. so im not going to get it.
ill just end up getting a new one for cheap hopefully. my boss is friends with a owner of a yamaha dealer and a maneger of another dealer. he said hell talk to them to get me a good price. hopefully one of them will have a used 08 in stock between now and december n ill just spend a few grand doing stuff to that bike. and add stuff as i NEED it.
i cant ride till nov. or december n e ways since my foot still needs surgry. but if i find a great deal on someones old track bike i wouldnt mind gettin it and tucking it away till i can ride it.

·
Registered
52,007 Posts
If you can't ride until Nov/Dec you may want to wait until the end of the race season and see if Graves has any of their retired racebikes available for sale. The are often sold for a relative song, especially when you consider how much it would cost you to put a similar one together.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think it's worth it as long as that isn't a lot of money to you. I mean that's what all boils down to, is your cash flow. If you can afford to wreck that beast then I would go for it. But if wrecking it means your left in a big hole then I would be more wise and get something just a year old so you can save money for your own mods.

Boy that sure would look good in my garage though!;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts