Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey whats up! Alright, ive had the stock battery in my 03 since i got it which makes it about 5.5 years old right now. With all the battery posts ive been seeing lately i'm wonderin if i should just change it now before any troubles happen. Lately my lights have been slightly dimming when im at a stoplight until i get on the gas...Any opinions would be great! I'm lookin to do it tnite!

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
you need to check your charging voltage with the bike idling. sounds like your rectifier is on it's way out...that's a tell tale sign of a bad rectifier.. it's the rectifiers job to cut back or increase voltages to the electrical system based on demands. such as turning on the headlights or (if you had a car) the air conditioner or heater.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no idea what brand im going to go with...Thats actually what im searching for while waitin for a couple replys haha

as soon as my shifter and rearsets get in i'll take the bike over somewhere to check the charging voltage then...as of now they're off getting powdercoated so its just sittin!

·
Registered
592 Posts
5.5 years on any battery, bike or car is very good, the average for both is just a little over 4 years industry wide. Just a suggestion..you had such good luck with the one thats in your bike..why not replace it with the same one?

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
I'd keep it until it's D.O.A. You must be using a tender on it when not riding. I'll say you got your moneys worth.

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've actually never used a tender on it and during winters its never been in a heated garage so its definitely been out in the cold...Replacing it with the same one is what i was thinkin as well, just cant remember the brand! Hopefully i wont have to replace the rectifier as well...

·
Premium Member
8,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just went out quick and checked the battery...its an Extreme Permaseal from batteries plus. Now i've just gotta wait til my rearsets get here so i can go get the voltage checked and then go from there!

·
This is not my ass
1,355 Posts
Put a tender on it, might be saved. If you get a new battery also get a tender, plug it in when ever the bike isn't running, should last forever.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I'd keep it until it's D.O.A. You must be using a tender on it when not riding. I'll say you got your moneys worth.
tenders ruin batteries...I've never used one on anything I've owned. I've never replaced any of my batteries. everyone I know that uses one in the winter is replacing batteries every two years.

plus the factory Yuasa battery is a AGM. it has a storage charge life of 15 months. unlike a lead acid battery that will only last about 5 months.

in the 3-4 months of the average winter storage, it only looses about 10% of it's charge. no need to ruin it by hooking it up to a charger. there is no need.

some of you guys should read up on yuasa's website.... you might save yourself some money..

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/batteries.asp

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I've actually never used a tender on it and during winters its never been in a heated garage so its definitely been out in the cold...Replacing it with the same one is what i was thinkin as well, just cant remember the brand! Hopefully i wont have to replace the rectifier as well...
my point is proven once again....

·
Forum Moderator
3,117 Posts
As long as the tender has a "Full Float" it won't harm the battery. Once it reaches full charge it will switch to stand by mode. I've used them for years on motorcycle and marine batteries with no issues. I use a dual 10amp tender type charger with a full float on both my deep cycle marine trolling motor batteries. They have lasted for years. Same for my motorcycle batteries.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Had a jetski..went thru 2 batteries...lasted a season each... before I (duh) decided I needed a Tender..the third battery lasted 3 yrs. It worked for me.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts