Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I believe that I am in need of a valve adjustment on my '06 r6 (away from the bike right now but if I remember correctly, I think she has 36000 miles on her at the moment) The question I have is should I just go ahead and get a cam chain tensioner also and have the shop do it at the same time? Also, if you guys think I should, should I just get the stock chain tensioner or should I go with one of the adjustable ones?

Last question I have is should I have the shop do fork seals on it? Or is that something you guys think I could do myself? I have a pretty extensive mechanical background. (my dad has owned an automotive repair and machine shop since I was 2 and I'm almost 21 now lol) I have done a lot with cars and what not but never had much experience with these 2-wheeled contraptions. Lol

Thank you in advance for any opinions!

·
Parts Pimp
26,421 Posts
I don't see a need for a manual CCT unless you have a REALLY tight motor build. The bike made it 36k with the OEM and no valve to piston issues...

Personally I'd have an OEM one installed and relieve yourself of the maintenance of a manual one. Plus the burden of responsibility of possibly adjusting it wrong and causing damage is there with a manual CCT

·
My zx6r eats tires.
548 Posts
I have a manual cct, wouldn't go back. I guess if you don't know how to take a wrench to a bike, be safe, stick with oem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a manual cct, wouldn't go back. I guess if you don't know how to take a wrench to a bike, be safe, stick with oem.
That's the thing, I know how to wrench on a lot of stuff, just not really bikes. Just cause I've never tried though. I'm sure I could knock it out if I had someone there with me guiding me a little (or at least watch over me a bit).

·
Still learning
266 Posts
That's the thing, I know how to wrench on a lot of stuff, just not really bikes. Just cause I've never tried though. I'm sure I could knock it out if I had someone there with me guiding me a little (or at least watch over me a bit).

The internet/youtube is a cornucopia of diy info for our bikes. **** paying someone if you feel comfortable. More money in your pocket for mods.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.