Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I installed my full Graves system with PCV and started it up (couldnt actually ride due to snow) but revving it up there was no popping or cracking at all. There was a slight hesitation at around 3-4k rpm's though. Do I even need to install my block off plates if I'm not getting any popping or cracking? :sleeping

·
Moderator - In Memorium
3,254 Posts
So, I installed my full Graves system with PCV and started it up (couldnt actually ride due to snow) but revving it up there was no popping or cracking at all. There was a slight hesitation at around 3-4k rpm's though. Do I even need to install my block off plates if I'm not getting any popping or cracking? :sleeping
Yes. They have a few benefits, the most obvious being the lack of popping. Up at face value. Beyond that, in a much broader light they stop the introduction of fresh air into the exhaust. You may ask "why does that concern me?" Well... after adding all those nice goodies to your motorcycle you may want to get it dynotuned for best performance. Most good tuners are going to use an exhaust gas analyzer to help check the bike. Now let's go back to that new "fresh air" that was being added to the exhaust. Probably going to harm the accuracy of the exhaust gas analysis, and thus your new (pretty expensive) tune.

Oh... and to add. With the block off plates installed, and the AIS pump, associated wiring etc remove, replacing spark plugs is MUCH easier.

I'd install them :secret

·
Premium Member
20,432 Posts
Yes. They have a few benefits, the most obvious being the lack of popping. Up at face value. Beyond that, in a much broader light they stop the introduction of fresh air into the exhaust. You may ask "why does that concern me?" Well... after adding all those nice goodies to your motorcycle you may want to get it dynotuned for best performance. Most good tuners are going to use an exhaust gas analyzer to help check the bike. Now let's go back to that new "fresh air" that was being added to the exhaust. Probably going to harm the accuracy of the exhaust gas analysis, and thus your new (pretty expensive) tune.

Oh... and to add. With the block off plates installed, and the AIS pump, associated wiring etc remove, replacing spark plugs is MUCH easier.

:werd

·
NCSportbikes.com
701 Posts
You won't have popping when your just revving it. It will start once you start actually riding and decelerating hard. I just put a full system on too, and I'm dying to get block offs to stop it, bad.

There's no negatives to having them, only positives.

·
Premium Member
20,432 Posts

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
pics!!! And i'm with others, if you have it, why not?

·
her name is Megan Fox
2,583 Posts

couldnt have said it better. even a 6 year old could understand that.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys, I was actually wondering whether the popping was just hiding itself because theres no load on the engine. I guess I'll go through the trouble of putting them on :p Its a long winter anyways haha

·
Stanly the Manly
935 Posts
Thanks for all the responses guys, I was actually wondering whether the popping was just hiding itself because theres no load on the engine. I guess I'll go through the trouble of putting them on :p Its a long winter anyways haha
its not that bad... it took me under an hour to get it done. the worst part is getting the piece of plastic that covers the AIS put back in place.

i've got em for $25 shipped. :sing :D new batch coming in tomorrow. :fact

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts