Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been researching average mileage and how many miles owners typically ride on here in preparation for buying a used R6.

Found one that seems to be a decent price (not great). $3800 asking price for a 2007.

The bike looks pretty clean, but it has 20,000 miles on it. So I'm thinking the guy commuted on it. He hasn't responded back to my inquiry.

Would you guys think twice about buying a daily driver if it's not your own? I have a Honda currently and they're pretty reliable. I'm assuming most late model japanese sportbikes are pretty reliable as well.

Here's a pic of the bike BTW.

·
...Slow...
1,383 Posts
Just like a car - if properly maintained, higher mileage shouldn't be a problem. At 20k you're getting close to a valve adjustment, but that's anything to be afraid of. Check the bike out - if it looks clean and everything checks out, there's nothing wrong with that mileage.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just like a car - if properly maintained, higher mileage shouldn't be a problem. At 20k you're getting close to a valve adjustment, but that's anything to be afraid of. Check the bike out - if it looks clean and everything checks out, there's nothing wrong with that mileage.
Thanks for the tip. I'll probably try to factor in the price of a valve job then. How much do valve jobs typically cost? I normally do my own car/bike work, unless it's something major.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
i beat my r6 up...daily commuter..wheelies..canyons..my bike was flawless never gave me any problems...and i did my valves for 300 bucks so if you find a good shop theyll typically hook you up

if you could i would find one with less miles...theres always good deals out there

·
Too sad without 2 wheels.
650 Posts
Dailys are better than bikes that are never ridden. I've got 26,000 miles on my bike. My bike's condition is way better than someone's 12,000 that rides canyons and beats the living snot out of it. I literally do 99% highway. No stunting, rev limiter banging... maybe i should get a harley. I'm getting kind of old now (26):poke

·
Registered
146 Posts
20k is nothing. I had 32k on my other r6, no problems. That price is a steal btw, if you dont jump on it, someone else surely will

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you could i would find one with less miles...theres always good deals out there
Trust me: I'm trying. lol.

But I'll take a clean, high-mileage bike that I know was taken care of If I have to. Just don't want to be bike-less with the riding season upon us. :D

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts

But I'll take a clean, high-mileage bike that I know was taken care of If I have to. Just don't want to be bike-less with the riding season upon us. :D
high mileage typically isnt a problem but idk im just paranoid about that stuff...my r6 has 45k and shes still hauling ass

but i know what you mean! if you get it cheap enough go for it least you have leverage for them to drop the price some!

·
sportbike noob
626 Posts
Ive got 21k on mine. Bought it with 12k on it from origional owner. Put almost 9k on it last year my first year on the bike. I wouldnt be worried about mileage at 20k. I ride mine to work and i ride with friends alot. Just stay up on oil changes. Maintenance. I will be selling my bike after this summer. Something about getting close to 30k on streetbike doesnt make me feel well lol.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
That price seems pretty damn good to me... Mileage isn't bad either. Looks clean.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

*pot stir*

And what makes you think you know that bike has been well maintained during its life?

*/pot stir*

·
Too sad without 2 wheels.
650 Posts
Yes.....
You can't prove anything. All you can do is trust what the seller is saying. Maybe he went 10,000 miles on that oil and changed it before you got there. :yuk: Paperwork at a dealer is nice but you're paying SO MUCH MORE doing stuff at a dealer. Usually people with bikes change it too soon anyway, but lets not open that can of worms. :dunce:

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Yes.....
You can't prove anything. All you can do is trust what the seller is saying. Maybe he went 10,000 miles on that oil and changed it before you got there. :yuk: Paperwork at a dealer is nice but you're paying SO MUCH MORE doing stuff at a dealer. Usually people with bikes change it too soon anyway, but lets not open that can of worms. :dunce:
I have a detailed maintenance log for my vehicles... Mileage, date, services performed/parts changed out. Obviously it's no receipt but it's pretty hard to make that shit up on the fly.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts

·
iRun
33,317 Posts

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
That price seems pretty damn good to me... Mileage isn't bad either. Looks clean.
:werd I don't know why you think it's a decent price, but not great. It's damn hard to find a decent 3rd gen bike for under $4k. If it's in good shape I say go for it.

I would have no problem with the mileage if everything looked like it was well taken care of. My wife's 05 was like that. Got it for the same price 3.5 years ago with 17k or 18k on the clock. It was a commuter and was in excellent condition. I'm really happy with that purchase and even today it's very difficult to find that same bike for the same price.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
:werd I don't know why you think it's a decent price, but not great. It's damn hard to find a decent 3rd gen bike for under $4k. If it's in good shape I say go for it.

I would have no problem with the mileage if everything looked like it was well taken care of. My wife's 05 was like that. Got it for the same price 3.5 years ago with 17k or 18k on the clock. It was a commuter and was in excellent condition. I'm really happy with that purchase and even today it's very difficult to find that same bike for the same price.
wut?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts