Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
It's just me and the wind
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here's a quick history. I have own a 2005 R1 for five years (loved it), then sold it last year and got a brand new 2012 R6. The reason I downgraded from R1 to R6 was because I moved to a different area and don't need to commute on the freeway anymore. I was doing a lot more street riding and the R6 was perfect for me.

Last week, I got the chance to test ride the new Ducati 899 panigale. Sad to say I felt in love with the way it looks and sound. Now the question is, should I sell my R6 for the 899?

I would love to own both, unfortunately that's not an option for me.

Any opinion?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
My opinion, go ride the demo 899. The mags didnt rate it too highly. I went from an 08 R6 to a 10 848 and wasnt overly thrilled...

Honestly, you'd probably like the MV or Triumph better than the 899. Most euro dealers should have a bike you can demo ride though.

·
It's just me and the wind
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a demo 899 for about 30 mins from the dealership. Took it thru city streets and freeway. Also tested their Wet, Sports and Race mode. I really love the sound coming from the 2 stroke engine and all the low end torque.

I just need some help to get this 899 out of my head. :roll:

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
Do it!!!!!!!

·
AFM #327
15,209 Posts
I had a demo 899 for about 30 mins from the dealership. Took it thru city streets and freeway. Also tested their Wet, Sports and Race mode. I really love the sound coming from the 2 stroke engine and all the low end torque.

I would love to get a two stroke 899 :fact

Seems like you already made a decision when you posted that you liked the 899 more. So yeah, if you can afford to take the financial hit of selling the 2012 R6 and pay for the 899, do it.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,445 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Dangerously Irish
9,550 Posts
If I didn't have so many obligations I'd be on an HP4 or a normal S1000RR at the very least.
Get the 899. Keep in mind crashing it cost more to fix than an R6

·
Canyon Carving
458 Posts
^exactly and general maintenance is also more expensive

·
V-twins Rock
427 Posts
Coming from a V-Twin liter bike to a inline 4 is a different world. I'm still pretty partial to V-twins. True, the R6 screams like a bat out of hell when you twist the throttle, but the V-Twin is truly a different thing to ride. I'd say get the 899. I have been thinking about the 899 or a older Ducati for some time now (maybe in two years I'll get one). The only thing that I don't like about the 899 and the 1199 is the seat. Compared to a TL1000R seat, Ducati did not make a comfortable seat. Other then that, you will probably be the only one on a V-Twin. Nice.

·
Reads the rulez
2,255 Posts

·
...Out with Mistress
32 Posts
Here's a quick history. I have own a 2005 R1 for five years (loved it), then sold it last year and got a brand new 2012 R6. The reason I downgraded from R1 to R6 was because I moved to a different area and don't need to commute on the freeway anymore. I was doing a lot more street riding and the R6 was perfect for me.

Last week, I got the chance to test ride the new Ducati 899 panigale. Sad to say I felt in love with the way it looks and sound. Now the question is, should I sell my R6 for the 899?

I would love to own both, unfortunately that's not an option for me.

Any opinion?

I've heard from several friends that the 899 is only really fun in Race mode... but that's just opinion. I went from an R6 to my now '11 848evo, and I love it. There are some down sides though. It isn't as nice at slow speeds or in traffic. It's geared too high in first and doesn't want to do below 20 mph with the clutch out. Also it gives off a lot of heat, same with the 899. Now for the good, it gives of more heat, but the engine temps actually run cooler than my jap sportbikes I've owned. That's sitting in traffic with fans on, and running down the freeway. Also, the noise and feel, you'll never get tired of! When driving the R6 I feel like it's a precision instrument, and it does everything well. When riding the Duc, it feels like driving art! The sound and feel are an experience. Also, upon teardown, I like the way some of the plastics and other components are put together. It appears less like something mass produced to fit as much as possible in a small space, and more like something made to be user friendly and lasting. Just my thoughts, from a guy who absolutely loves both bikes for different reasons.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
My Power band is blue
2,344 Posts

The new 899 is a two stroke? That's some old tech. Braaaap

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
R6 . . . not arse itch!
2 Posts

'Two-cylinder engine', I think you mean. Ducatis are definitely 4-strokers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts