Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing my first Trackday this year and was wondering if I should switch over to GP shift now to try to get used to it. Since I will obviously be riding in the novice group, I'm sure I won't be getting low enough that I can't get my foot under the shift lever to upshift, but if I plan on advancing, which I do, I'm thinking I should make the switch now. I will still be riding the bike on the street as well. What you you guys recommend?

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I rode for 40 years before I got on the track, and 2 years on the track before I switched to GP. And I still ride standard shift on all my street bikes.

You will only shift from 2nd to 1st at 100mph once. Then you will never forget again. Don't ask how I know.

You will have enough on your mind as a new novice to be worrying about GP shift. Hold off until you have a few track weekends under your belt. Just my 2c.

·
nova r6
3,217 Posts
Agreed, you will have more things going on than you know what to do with itself. Why throw learning GP shift into the mix. The best thing about riding trackdays after agressive street riding is that every turn is in the exact same place every time you go around (minus the potential for bikes and riders to be skidding the pavement or a super rare animal across the race track)

I see youre in PA what track are you going to and who is the trackday org?

·
Registered
74 Posts
The voice of a different perspective. I switched to GP shift immediately upon starting to go to the track. It was immediately easier and sure makes sense. I would never go back to standard shift and found the transition incredibly easy.

·
Hey...watch this
574 Posts
I have thought about switching but I would think I would need to switch my street bike too? @FZ1guy It doesn’t mess with your head going back and forth?
You would think it would, but it does not at all. My track bike is an R6 but my street bikes are FZ1, GoldWing, a couple of street cruisers and a dirt bike. The only time I have ever had to think about it is when I was on my son's SV650. I guess when I'm in sportbike mode, my left foot just wants to do GP. That, and being in a whole different world on the track vs the street.

It is so nice to be hauling butt through turn 1 and not have to feel around for the shifter. Just give it a quick tap and go. Head down, shift down. Head up, shift up.

Now here's what will mess with your head... I learned to ride on a Bultaco. Shift on the right, brake on the left. Took me all of 15 seconds to crash the 1st Jap bike I got on.

·
1up,5down
129 Posts
If you are sure you want to make the change then do it asap and ride on the street with gp shift to get used to it. I love gp shift and will never go back. It's so much nicer to just click down when accelerating. NYST is also about 2 hours from me but i'm in MA. I've been there 4 times now (2 days uptown and 2 days downtown) and now that i know the track its not too bad but at first i wasn't a big fan. It's very tight and technical. Would be a lot of fun on a motard. Every turn is off camber and the track doesn't seem to flow. And the track is literally in the middle of no where lol. So get gas ahead of time. The facility isn't the greatest and the pits are absolutely terrible haha. Should make the drive to new jersey motorsports park. I drive 5.5 hours every month to go down there. They have 2 tracks and they're both well worth the drive. I'll be there june 23-24 with absolute cycle. Should sign up for those dates. My friend that i go with is one of the instructors and is extremely knowledgeable and helpful. You could ride with him all day... The track in pittsburgh is really nice too. Hope to go there this year... goodluck with everything!

·
Mr. HER6
2,084 Posts
Do whatever feels comfortable. You don't have to switch at all if you don't want to. I've ridden several bikes on track with the reverse shifting, but I prefer to keep all my bikes with standard shift.

·
Reads the rulez
2,252 Posts
Dude it's just a shifting pattern, takes 5 min to swap. Try it, if you don't like it, go back. Ain't like getting a tattoo. Nothing permanent.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I think it just depends on what you want and how comfortable you are. You will be learning a lot of things so adding something new may be difficult or it may make things easier for you. I ride GP shift on the track and street shift on the road/dirt.

More important than shift pattern would be proper riding technique and getting a handle on the fundamentals of riding. Things like throttle control, effective counter-steering, braking and body position would be top of my list. I'm a coach with the California Superbike School (just got home from teaching 5 days at Barber Motorsports Park) so if you have any questions about ride/race/track riding technique please fire away :)

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I switched to GP shift before my first track day and rode around a while to get used to it. Then I changed to GP shift on all my bikes (that were able to)

Personally I wanted to get that muscle memory down right away, and not have some track days with it and then make the change.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I ride GP, I would recommend it but only if you are comfortable with the bike and track(s) first. Then I would switch all of your bikes, if you have more than 1.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
youll never get to MotoGP standard shifting!! :D 1 up & 5 down!

Also your pace has a bunch to do with it. I have friends that hate it and some that love it. It does not make you faster or slower...lol

I can ride either but I need a decal on my gauge/triples to remind me of the pattern. :D

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've never ridden on the track, but I swapped my R6 and now my FZ-07 to GP shift. I absolutely love GP shift over standard, even for normal everyday street riding.

·
Dangerously Irish
9,551 Posts
Switched years back, due to the filters I used. Can't say that I'd cared to go back to standard.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts