Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was asked if I would trade my bike (2005 FZ6) straight up for a 2003 Buell XB9R Firebolt. Do you guys think I should? Anyone ever ridden or owned one? Are they more or less sporty than my current bike? I don't know much about them so any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
I can ban you
33,575 Posts
are you planning on working on the harley motor yourself or will you be taking it to a harley stealership for service?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
the buell is okay, but if it was me I would go for the xb12r over the 9r. The 9 doesnt have a lot in the tank for the fun stuff.... They are just a different take on sport bikes, and really if you want a buell, the best one is the 1125r....

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
are you planning on working on the harley motor yourself or will you be taking it to a harley stealership for service?
Myself. And to redisdeadrideblue: the guy offered me this as a straight up trade I don't get to choose the buell lol the XB9R is all he has to offer. I'm just curious is it more sporty than my current bike? I've been looking to get something a little more sport-oriented than my current bike.

·
Sex and Bikes Go Together
1,222 Posts
They are harley's version of a sport bike. Shaky little things lots of torque, different but still fun. My friend lets me ride his.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
I would pass.. but that's just me.

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I thought up 3 questions about the Buell that I'm hoping someone here can answer.
1. Is the Buell as reliable as the Yamaha?
2. Can the Buell take the abuse the Yami can? (pushin her to the redline every now and then without damaging the engine.)
3. Can the Buell upshift without using the clutch without damaging the transmission?
Thanks! :bow

·
First Gen FTW
11,444 Posts
dont do it...the exhaust blows right on the back tire...in turn back tire wears faster...and people look gay riding them

·
^ Matt
5,011 Posts
really wish i had some answers for you.. looks like you know him well enough to consider the trade so you just need to take it for a 10 - 15 min test drive to decide for yourself. No one is really going to be able to tell you if your going to like it or not...

·
Just a dumb racer..
792 Posts
I thought up 3 questions about the Buell that I'm hoping someone here can answer.
1. Is the Buell as reliable as the Yamaha?
2. Can the Buell take the abuse the Yami can? (pushin her to the redline every now and then without damaging the engine.)
3. Can the Buell upshift without using the clutch without damaging the transmission?
Thanks! :bow
1) Probably. If both bikes are maintained well, neither is likely to fail on it's own.
2) Yes to a degree. It's a big HD motor. It doesn't like being flogged 8 ways to sunday, in saying that if you're riding it on the road and not being deliberately abusive purely for the sake of it, I think you'd be hard pushed to blow it up.
3) Yes, as long as you button off while you're performing the shift.

·
Est. 10/21/93
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1) Probably. If both bikes are maintained well, neither is likely to fail on it's own.
2) Yes to a degree. It's a big HD motor. It doesn't like being flogged 8 ways to sunday, in saying that if you're riding it on the road and not being deliberately abusive purely for the sake of it, I think you'd be hard pushed to blow it up.
3) Yes, as long as you button off while you're performing the shift.
You sir, are much appreciated. :bow

·
R stands for RaceBike
9,022 Posts
i have a riding buddy that rides a buell he loves it but he cant get up to fast because it shakes a lot they have great handling as far as i can see in curves but he doesn't keep up with me and the 2 other r6's to me it looks uncomfortable to ride(probably the same stance as a fz tho) looks like a large man riding a mini bike even tho he is pretty small 5'7-10 ish probably 150-175lbs(just guessing) sounds crazy as hell on first sight and start up since it has that rotax motor i believe deff. doesn't sound like a sport bike all in all its a nice bike but i would stick with yami but im biased to yami so i dont count

1 - 20 of 40 Posts