Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am psyched, never been, this is my 3rd season riding and I believe I should be able to handle it. I am actually doing the free half day "Intro" trial to check it out, I have bad knees so I wanna see how that works out, but can still hang off the bike. I have never dragged knee, and dont plan too on the street, but and looking forward to the personal instruction on the track.

question... It says I need leather "Guantlet" style gloves, what does the gauntlet part mean???

also need over the ankle sturdy boot, anybody have a suggestions

Anybody beginner track day goers out there let me know what you thought the first time:D

·
Registered
331 Posts
It's great to hear that you're doing your first track day... You will get addicted! It's just that much fun.

I did my first one about a year ago, and now I ride exclusively on the track and my R6 is a full-on race bike. You could say I'm hooked! The novice class will be a great experience so long as you listen to your instructors and ride within control. Know your limit on the machine. I failed to do number 2 and wadded a brand new bike. :)

One main thing to remember is to not get sucked in and ride above your head into a curve when johhny liter-bike pulls past you on the straight because he's got more HP... It amazes me how many novice guys are out there on a 140 HP liter bike. There should be control rider/instructors in the novice class to avoid problems. For your first track day you want to spend the first 2 sessions getting comfortable with the track layout, line, braking points, bail out spots on the track *in case you go in too hot into a corner*, apex points, etc. Spend the rest of the afternoon getting comfortable and building confidence with smooth input/mechanics- (i.e. smooth throttle, front brake input). Dont worry about speed. Your pace will build by the end of the day without effort if you work on the basics.

Ask lots of questions!

Start doing an hour of cardio every day and start working on some squats at the gym, climb stairs, etc... If you get tired while out on the track, PULL INTO THE PITS! There's no rule that states you have to be out every minute of the session.

Gauntlet style gloves have protection over the wrist and cover any bare skin that short gloves would expose. I splurged and bought a pair of Held Akira gloves and am glad I did since I binned it on my first track day. They saved my skin.

http://www.newenough.com/gloves/street_or_racing_gauntlet/

For boots, you can go with anything really. I like alpinestars. Ebay is the way to go so long as you know your size. Newenough.com has some deals ocasionally.

Even though I crashed and totaled the bike, I still had a blast. I am almost finished rebuilding the bike and now the R6 is a total track weapon.

Have fun! Stay Hydrated.

Cheers:pimp

·
Team: Teletubby racing
21,003 Posts
^^ they take a while for shipping....^^ a lot of negative feedbacks from them.

but anyways rules for the track
1. Find your "lines"
2. be safe...
3. have lots of fun...and take lots of pics, be a postwhore.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
does the track have photographers or do i gotta have somebody take them?

·
Just Burnin Time
2,220 Posts
they should have a photgrapher, but you might want someone to take your own for you as well so you dont have to pay the track guy.

You are going to have so much fun! Take your time, dont try to drag knee, if its going to happen the first day it will, if not, next time for sure.

Take it all in, show up early and elave late... bring food/water/beer for when its over!

Oh yeah, you are going to be sore as hell when you wake up the next day!

·
Registered
106 Posts
Most tracks have people there that have the rights to photography at that particular track. You usually get some really good professional level shots from some good spots at turns on the track, however be aware, it can get pricey!! I think the last time it baught pictures at the track it was $50.00 for all the pictures of me from that day, about 30 of them I think. I think its worth it for your first track experience or if theres just that super cool picture of you that you just have to have. Congrates on taking it to the track man, I got my first sport bike and hit the track after just 2 months of riding, wore the knees and the toes off the very first day and have been utterly addicted ever since, don't push too hard though, you don't need to be wearing out any clothing on your first day, I'm the kind of guy that knows from experience what broken bones feel like and have had a doctor look at me and tell me he don't know how I'm still alive lol, but none of that was from track riding, Tear it up, be safe, and have a shitload of fun!!

·
Jennings rocks!
1,435 Posts
Be smooth on the throttle and dont ride past your limit and you will have a lot of fun. I have a mere 2 trackdays under my belt and Im headed back to jennings this monday.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will these gloves work for a track day?
http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=2118

The reason I ask is because of the material:
Upper Materials: Goatskin. Upper Lining: Breathable Nylex. Palm Materials: Black Analin goatskin. Armor type: Steel thread molded knuckle protector. Keprotec lined palm & little finger.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Golden man, those will work just fine, Teknic is a decent brand too. Here is a place I've found to have fantastic prices and free shipping too I believe if you order over $200 worth of stuff, probably a good place to outfit yourself for your first track experience. If you don't want to go hell bent and stupid the first time around and blow three paychecks on track gear a lot of places rent equipment trackside also, thats what I did my first couple times out. You WILL have to buy your own at some point though because you WILL be addicted!! Anyway, those gloves will be just fine and check out this link, maybe things will be a little cheaper, Cheers!!

http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/index.php?osCsid=2e4cf2d6f380e87a6ef616b9200db520

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool, I just ordered a set of those gloves.

Now i gotta look at some kind of over the ankle boot

NESBA doesnt have my size in leathers to rent, 44. But cycle gear has a set of last years frank thomas 1 piece for like half price to get rid of the inventory

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any suggestions for a street/track boot?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I personally have seen some ankles saved from the Sidi vertebrae boots. They are $$$$$ but it's money saved from ankle surgery.

Puma actually make boots now, but they are new and I havent tested or seen any hold up in a crash.

Garne also make good boots.

I have a pair of Alpinestars that I'd like to replace with some Sidi vert or Garne

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
Awesome bro! Have fun! Im doing my first this season as well. Gauntlet gloves have a cuff that goes around your wrist.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts