Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok,

this is going to sound a bit silly so i apologize for appearing lame:

i've been riding motorcycles for about a year now. 8 months with my '01 R6 and about 4 months with my '04 R6.

A common problem I run across that I am trying to rectify is not being able to consistently shift smoothly.

Now, when i start riding a motorcycle, it was my first clutch. I didnt know how to drive a clutch in a car. I can now, but with practice.

is there any advice someone can give me to getting smoother shifting down?

often i will not let the clutch out fast enough and over-rev the engine and sometimes i will let the clutch out too quickly while i am adjusting the throttle during the shift.

any help is appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Downshift you want to rev match, and upshift you want to give it just enough gas before you let out the clutch

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would say i am better at downshifting, i can blip the throttle pretty well but sometimes i rev too high or low on the downshift.

alot of times when i am accelerating fast in first, and i go to shift into second i let the clutch out to slowly and I can feel the bike lurch foward because I continue to give it gas and underestimate where clutch grabs

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
It is a motorcycle not a lexus....

R6s are not known for having silky smooth transmissions

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
jasamb said:
It is a motorcycle not a lexus....

R6s are not known for having silky smooth transmissions
Ain't that the truth. Blip the throttle and let it out slowly... That's the best advise to live by... I still do not shit consistantly nor smoothly at tiimes., its all about pratice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts