Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
YZF-R you kidding?
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was the easiest mod ever for a 1999-2002 R6. It will probably work just as easy for other models. My gauge lights were busted and I didn't want to pay an arm and a leg for the replacements. To my surprise you can just throw any 12v LED you want into the housings and they will work great. No switch required. This cost me $6 bucks from Advanced Auto Parts and you can choose any color you wish. Here is how it was done. Enjoy.

The original filament bulbs and their housing.

The $6 dollar LED's from Advanced Auto Parts. I removed the shroud from the harness and bent the LED's contact tabs so they will make contact with the original light housing's contacts.

Once correctly formed the LED slides right into the original light housing.

Then you just pop the housing back into the circuit board as usual. The LED will only light up if +/- are aligned correctly. If it does not light you can simply pop out the housing and turn it 180 degrees and twist it back in the LED will then light up.

Turn the key lights come on! Just like stock.

Could be a tad brighter but works beautifully for $6 dollars.

Let me know what you guys think. Any questions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I did this a few years ago, but instead of going thru the trouble of "creating" a bulb to fit, you could just buy the exact bulb thats supposed to go in there but just in LED (its a #74 bulb, or T1.5) and they are only $1.79 each, any color. and they won't leave you with those two "hot spots" you have on your tach between 2-4 and the 14-16.
here a link... http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/74_t15.htm

·
YZF-R you kidding?
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sweet, thanks for the info man. I will have to pick some of those up.

·
Chi-Towns Finest
347 Posts
i wish it was this simple for 03-05!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Looks kool, How hard is it to take off the speedo casing to get to the bulb tho?

·
YZF-R you kidding?
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Three screws, super simple. Hardest part is taking the front fairing off to get the gauge pod out, which is also just three screws on the back. Pod just opens up and you can pull the lights.

·
rockin the '08
3,074 Posts
Three screws, super simple. Hardest part is taking the front fairing off to get the gauge pod out, which is also just three screws on the back. Pod just opens up and you can pull the lights.

yep. I just changed my lights a few months ago. taking the fairing off to get at the cluster was the biggest pain in the ass for this job. Taking the actual cluster apart and replacing the bulbs was easy.

·
100% Freak of Nature
118 Posts
hmm I was thinking of doing the same.. sense I didn’t take mine apart yet (I don’t know if your markers are dyed plastic to make the greenish color or just a film) but I would of just taped into the bulb holster/housing and make 2 live wires of 12v...

thin solder or threw any other method make a string of LED's going around your cluster/gages so it all be one evan glow by reconnecting the wires together.. and if it was a melted on film I would of taken it off and put in some purple or other color LED's and change the color of it..

and that LED you used looks like a 10mm... you can e-bay some LED's real cheap (like 3mm or 5mm will do nicely) and make a home made custom set

just a thought..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Is there only 1 bulb like shown in the picture, or are there more? It's hard to believe that one light lights up the entire gauge. I've done this mod on two of my previous non-r6 bikes, and there were always more bulbs.

Also, anybody have instructions (preferably with pics) on how to get to the gauge cluster? I've tried taking off my front headlight fairing once, and ended up quiting because of the fear of cracking or breaking something.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Is there only 1 bulb like shown in the picture, or are there more? It's hard to believe that one light lights up the entire gauge. I've done this mod on two of my previous non-r6 bikes, and there were always more bulbs.

Also, anybody have instructions (preferably with pics) on how to get to the gauge cluster? I've tried taking off my front headlight fairing once, and ended up quiting because of the fear of cracking or breaking something.
from the hot spots in the pic, they are two.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Im suprised there is only 1 or 2 bulbs. Not too bad of a mod. It looks good.

·
100% Freak of Nature
118 Posts
i took my 08 r6 gadg apart and to my surprise from what i can see it hade intergrated LED.. i gussing it be the same for the 06-09...

but do not quot me on that.. threr was one screw that was put on soo tight it turqed the screw driver.. and didnt nudge.. i was like wtf!.. but i did see a guy onebay that sold some for like 70$.. X.X

·
R6's Forever
335 Posts
Just bought from superbrightleds.com...
Very pleased with the result :yes

Hey MacPlaya I am just curious if what you bought from superbright LED was 2 T1.5 and 4 Neowedge instrument bulbs. I was going to do this myself and looked for stuff on it but found nothing till now, guess I looked in the wrong spot. And as well if its brighter than the picture shows.

·
R6's Forever
335 Posts
Oh ok I thought that you bought blue ones.

One problem for me since I am in Canada is the fact that I think I need to order $25 worth of stuff before they would ship to me. I emailed them a while back but never got anything in return so thats poor customer service in my opinion.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts