Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i was riding my 2001 r6, decided to do 1st gear clutch up, the bike felt like it was coming up to fast and scared me, so i let off. I have the feeling that it slammed back down, how much damage could i of done to my fork seals. The seals aren't ripped from what i can tell no leaking or anything. Also should i add more preload just in case this happens again thanks..

My r6 is also geared so it comes up easy

·
zomething different
8,430 Posts
adding preload will compress the fork springs more making things 'stiffer'. are you worried about bottoming out? if nothing is leaking, you're fine. roll off gently and cover dat rear brake sahn!

edit: btw, i've heard of people cracking their frames from slamming wheelies. be careful out there.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i just dont want to bottom em out... Not covering my rear brake is my worst habit right now, i forget every time. I bet if i hover the rear brake the high position wouldnt feel so scary. I also hear that r6s have a really high BP. I can't say i have hit the BP because i really haven't "felt" it. Just had that feeling of looping

·
"Krypton"
1,086 Posts
I just don't get it.... cover the rear brake cover the rear brake cover the rear brake.... I've never done so, ill bet I can outwheelie most on this forum. The engine brake is all I use.... never ridden on a slipper clutch though.... do the 6's come with one?

And yes, my bike has been past the balance point to oh $hit zone, always brought it back by snapping th e throttle closed and rolling it back on to bring it down smooth

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
I just don't get it.... cover the rear brake cover the rear brake cover the rear brake.... I've never done so, ill bet I can outwheelie most on this forum. The engine brake is all I use.... never ridden on a slipper clutch though.... do the 6's come with one?

And yes, my bike has been past the balance point to oh $hit zone, always brought it back by snapping th e throttle closed and rolling it back on to bring it down smooth
cover the rear brake..is because for that fraction of a second you go PAST BP..that brake is the only thing bringing you back down on 2 wheels. withe the engine break..it will just continue on looping, unless your lucky.

i also had a bad habit of not covering the rear brake because i like to have both my fee angled out slightly. but i trained myself to slight my right foot right up to that guard and keep in straight before i do clutch ups

edit: i re read your post, you are more than likely an experienced rider correct?.. i guess covering the rear is just a good habit to get into for a noob, and why not continue that habit, cant hurt.
but if the engine break works for you, then f-it...do what you do bruthaaa:toocool:

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts

I bet I've ridden more and longer wheelies than most folks on here too and most of the time the engine braking will save you, most of the time. But then it only takes once:fact. It's when you get cocky, thinking you're all that, when it happens.... You pull one up and it's rolling close to vertical and you hit the slightest of bumps that didn't expect. It takes your attention for a split second and your foot slips a little. You try to catch it and roll it out but yo balance is headed back and you're in a lower gear than you should be... You almost have time to think to yourself, "fcuk...." but you become a victim of the dreaded whiskey throttle and you feel it go over right before you close your eyes and have the wind knocked out of you by the impact with the ground. The next sensation is the searing heat from your clothes vaporizing against the pavement before it hamburgers your arem, knees, shoulders and back. You're sliding and finally come to a stop, and start looking for the car about to run over you. You self assess and realize your arm and collar bone are broken on top of the rest. You limp out of the road and look at your bike, or what's left of it. Your heart sinks and then the pain sets in, if you're lucky. All because you never took the time to learn to cover the rear brake. It would have taken you a couple weeks to make a habit, but now you have the next 6-8 weeks to think about it.... And figure out how to fix your bike.

I starts covering at a young age, but I remember a day on my Honda 450 with $3000 diamond kit rg3 suspension, the whole package... I was riding a 5th gear wheelie across the river at probably 75mph. I hit that unexpected bump and whiskey throttled it. The bike and I went over backward and each cartwheeled for a couple hundre feet. The forks were twisted in the clamp, pipe bent, bars and levers toast, fenders toast, radiator toast, and a ripped front brake line. My helmet looked like someone had opened the car door on the freeway and dragged it. I dislocated a shoulder, tweaked my neck, knocked out a tooth, and couldnt walk for a week. All because I got lazy and cocky. Bad move. I kept the helmet to remind me.

OP, don't drop wheelies on that bike too hard or you'll be replacing the fairing stay. It's going to break at the top bolt hole, trust me. I broke 4 of them that way.

·
Habitual Linestepper
984 Posts
I bet I've ridden more and longer wheelies than most folks on here too and most of the time the engine braking will save you, most of the time. But then it only takes once:fact. It's when you get cocky, thinking you're all that, when it happens.... You pull one up and it's rolling close to vertical and you hit the slightest of bumps that didn't expect. It takes your attention for a split second and your foot slips a little. You try to catch it and roll it out but yo balance is headed back and you're in a lower gear than you should be... You almost have time to think to yourself, "fcuk...." but you become a victim of the dreaded whiskey throttle and you feel it go over right before you close your eyes and have the wind knocked out of you by the impact with the ground. The next sensation is the searing heat from your clothes vaporizing against the pavement before it hamburgers your arem, knees, shoulders and back. You're sliding and finally come to a stop, and start looking for the car about to run over you. You self assess and realize your arm and collar bone are broken on top of the rest. You limp out of the road and look at your bike, or what's left of it. Your heart sinks and then the pain sets in, if you're lucky. All because you never took the time to learn to cover the rear brake. It would have taken you a couple weeks to make a habit, but now you have the next 6-8 weeks to think about it.... And figure out how to fix your bike.

I starts covering at a young age, but I remember a day on my Honda 450 with $3000 diamond kit rg3 suspension, the whole package... I was riding a 5th gear wheelie across the river at probably 75mph. I hit that unexpected bump and whiskey throttled it. The bike and I went over backward and each cartwheeled for a couple hundre feet. The forks were twisted in the clamp, pipe bent, bars and levers toast, fenders toast, radiator toast, and a ripped front brake line. My helmet looked like someone had opened the car door on the freeway and dragged it. I dislocated a shoulder, tweaked my neck, knocked out a tooth, and couldnt walk for a week. All because I got lazy and cocky. Bad move. I kept the helmet to remind me.

OP, don't drop wheelies on that bike too hard or you'll be replacing the fairing stay. It's going to break at the top bolt hole, trust me. I broke 4 of them that way.
that was a vivid story...i felt like i was on that whole ride with you! :lmao
sucks about the wreck, but you live and your learn

·
One wheel pimpin
321 Posts
I assume your doing street stuff? not slow idle wheelies correct? streets wont kill your forks or seals unless you keep doing the 1st gear pow pow's and just let off the throttle and it slams down. I wouldnt worry about it now, but once you start getting into the lots, thats when you start getting the leaky fork seals cause basiclly your riding idle, no gas to keep the wheelie going, just strait brake. and alot of times the bike stalls doing circles and it slams down often. So my advice to you, OP, is learn that brake and stop doin squidly POW Pow's and get yourself to the lots. if u dont have a cage yet, GET ONE. your going to need it.:cheers keep practicing and itll all click one day. took me about a year to get to where im at, and im not even that good.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
that was a vivid story...i felt like i was on that whole ride with you! :lmao
sucks about the wreck, but you live and your learn
That was the point. Another time I was fcuking around with my current dirt ride, an RM 125, in my work parking lot after work at like 2am (pm shift). I was trying to scrapethe rear fender to show off, in the dark no less. I clutch one up in second, rock it back and kiss the fender.... Drop it back down and inspect the ground up fender tip... Stoked, but not smart enough to quit while I was ahead. I decided to rip one more, only I didn't quite have my foot positioned right to hit the rear brake and my bike came up a little quicker this time. It hit the fender hard, snapped it off and over I went. I was wearing wranglers and a tshirt and nikes. I was rashed all over my back, side, both arms, chin, cheek, ankles, knees, hip, and best of all, I got my hand stuck under the bar and it tore up my left palm, pinky, and ground the pinky side of my ring finger almost to the bone from the tip to the first knuckle, including half the nail, which later fell off. It only takes a simple lapse.

I did way dumber shit. Ive ridden 80mph wheelie in the dark.... It's interesting how the fog at night illuminates the beams of your headlights as the point skyward. On my birthday one night my best friend and I were having a few beers at a local kicking it spot, we decided pull out the dirt bike and ride wheelies down the road in the lights of my truck. On these things I was lucky, and I have a ton of experience.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
damn man that sucks but i def get where you are coming from. Protection at all times, cuz no matter what anything can go wrong. I make sure to be wearing my helmet gloves and jacket at all times when trying this stuff... And back to the guy who stated about the front fairing, my friend just had to get his re welded on an 01 as well because it broke, they say because of wheelies.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Also what are pow pows?? Power wheelies? Because i have never done a single power wheelie before, i have always clutched up since the beginning.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
damn man that sucks but i def get where you are coming from. Protection at all times, cuz no matter what anything can go wrong. I make sure to be wearing my helmet gloves and jacket at all times when trying this stuff... And back to the guy who stated about the front fairing, my friend just had to get his re welded on an 01 as well because it broke, they say because of wheelies.
Told you about that fairing stay. I ended up making one.
Also what are pow pows?? Power wheelies? Because i have never done a single power wheelie before, i have always clutched up since the beginning.
IMO, the best option is the bounce wheelie....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IMO, the best option is the bounce wheelie....[/QUOTE]

Do you mean like preloading down on the forks then pulling up as you throttle it?

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
IMO, the best option is the bounce wheelie....
Do you mean like preloading down on the forks then pulling up as you throttle it?[/QUOTE]

:yes

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Idk it might just be me but i have never been able to do them like that i saw a friend right next to me pull a nice stand up that way just compressed and pulled it up. I may need to hit the weights for that lol

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Idk it might just be me but i have never been able to do them like that i saw a friend right next to me pull a nice stand up that way just compressed and pulled it up. I may need to hit the weights for that lol
All in the technique player. At least in first and second. Third takes a little strength, but with gearing it's doable in 4th and with stunt gearing, any gear. Get a quality cage if you want to do wheelies.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
:yes. Timing and technique bro.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts