Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it seems alot of people here are in love with woodcraft sliders. But my question is that if you did lowside thats the only time they MIGHT save something and if you highside they would probably cause more damage and possible frame damage and write the bike off. I just dont see how these are a good mod.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,695 Posts
i run short sliders. anything sticking out more than a couple inches is asking to flip the bike when it hits the grass. As if solid foot pegs don't do that easy enough already...
The sliders that can do the most frame damage, are the "no cut" ones that are mounted on a bracket. I HAVE personally had a hole punched in a frame from this design. The puck bends the bracket, and punches a hole in the frame. Lucky for me, i got an unstamped frame for $800 (race only) and sold the frame with the damage but CLEAN TITLE for $1100 .. lol! Lord only knows what the buyer was doing.

shorty sliders i find help in lower speed falls. But i don't think are going to cause frame damage to the frame even in a worse crash (if bolted directly with the front engine mount bolt).

·
Living The Dream
3,797 Posts
ive both low sided and high sided with shogun frame sliders...and i had more damage low siding at a lower speed which was weird....it really depends how the bike hits the ground...but both accidents my sliders did their job and protected more than just the frame

but the longer the slider or cage sticks out the better the chance it has of grabbign something on the road and flipping the bike

·
Reads the rulez
2,247 Posts
i run short sliders. anything sticking out more than a couple inches is asking to flip the bike when it hits the grass. As if solid foot pegs don't do that easy enough already...
The sliders that can do the most frame damage, are the "no cut" ones that are mounted on a bracket. I HAVE personally had a hole punched in a frame from this design. The puck bends the bracket, and punches a hole in the frame. Lucky for me, i got an unstamped frame for $800 (race only) and sold the frame with the damage but CLEAN TITLE for $1100 .. lol! Lord only knows what the buyer was doing.

shorty sliders i find help in lower speed falls. But i don't think are going to cause frame damage to the frame even in a worse crash (if bolted directly with the front engine mount bolt).
This.

Run Woodcraft sliders with stubby pucks.

Anything else is inferior. /thread

·
Premium Member
3,240 Posts
To add to what Melk-Man and Highside said, from my observations, complete slider systems (bar end, clutch, swingarm, non-folding pegs, combined with frame sliders) lessen the chance of damage from a single point of failure.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sliders in my opinion do cause more damage. Got cut off doing 30mph, when it hit the car it tore the bolt all the way through the frame on the right side. 2nd accident was doing 70mph hit the ground and screwed up some plastics and a rim but other than that everything is saved a lot better then when i had sliders.

·
iRun
33,226 Posts
Every accident is different, so having anecdotal evidence of one time where THIS happened and another time where THAT happened is totally meaningless data. Can frame sliders cause more damage? Sure. Do they always? No. Do they sometimes save you a lot of headaches? Yes.

Life is all about decisions: Time to make one and see what happens.

·
nom nom nom nom nom nom
1,243 Posts
Since the OP was specifically asking about high siding, that's what I responded with.

I'd say that overall sliders are a good thing to have. Some people will crash 100 times with sliders and not have issues with them causing frame damage. Some people will have one crash with them and they'll cause damage and that person will write off sliders forever. I believe that the majority of crashes are low sides, and in the majority of those crashes, sliders will help. Can they get caught on random things and do more damage than good, even in a lowside? Yep. Are they going to do it every time? Nope.

People have the misconception that frame sliders are there to protect your frame, and they aren't. Your frame will most likely not touch the ground in the majority of crashes. They are designed to be another point of contact that isn't your engine side covers, bodywork, gas tank, exhaust bars or pegs. Will they 100% prevent any of those from contacting the ground? Nope.

The only time I really have an issue with sliders is when the mount point is lower than the bike's center of gravity. On the RC51, the standard mounting location is so low that when the bike is on it's side, it will pivot over onto the tank/bars.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought and installed these no-cut OES sliders for my 09 over a year ago and IMMEDIATELY UNINSTALLED THEM as the pucks stick out atrociously too far off the bike. So not only do the sliders make the bike look visually terrible, but the long length is also dangerous!....I'm trying to NOT flip the bi^$h end over end should I go down.

Anybody want them? $50 shipped.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.