1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

this might be because of the dampener, i'm not sure

I noticed it today on the highway, actually it's two different examples:

1. While on the highway at higher speeds I noticed there was a slight wobble forming in the handlebars at around 115-120, Not enough to see, but I could feel it. At the time i just attributed it to the slight wind we had today and I was traveling into the wind.

2. While hitting up some curves, I was hitting them pretty hard and noticed when going into some sharp curves at around 30-40 mph, it feels like the front is slightly wobbling while at the apex of the turn, it starts to occur once i start applying more throttle to exit the turn.

Now, could this be because of low tire pressure? I have an '01 R6, the front tire pressure i checked today and it was at about 32-35 PSI in front. I weigh about 190lbs. I just recently lost about 20lbs down from 210lbs. could it be that because of my weight loss the bike is now handling differently? I'm wondering if I have to adjust the front forks. I have 6 lines showing in each fork, and I'm 3 clicks from bottom on the rear suspension.

thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
836 Posts
It isn't the damper. It definitely isn't the tire pressure, because I run at less than that on the track. The weight could make a difference, but it doesn't sound like you really had the thing dialed in in the first place since all you mention is your preload settings.

Honestly, to me it sounds like you aren't looking far enough through the corners and that your grip on the bars is too tight. But without watching you ride, I have no way of knowing.

It sounds like you are really pushing yourself on the road, perhaps it is time to really take the time to set up your suspension properly.

Have you replaced the oil in your forks? If you haven't done that, it would be a good idea. Also make sure that you have the right springs in the forks as well as the rear shock. Even at 190 you are still too heavy for the stock stuff.

I think your first order of buisness is to find a reputable suspension guy to do your forks and your shock. After you pay him for the work, he will be more than happy to help you properly set your static sag and get the compression and rebound in the ballpark. He will explain what everything does in detail, and then it is up to you to go out and find what works for you; changing a setting one click at a time.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A wobble like that is rarely from the suspension. I would check to see if possibly you have a bent wheel or out of balance tire. Sometimes the weight comes off, causeing the wheel to be out of balance. Possibly the wheel bearings are worn excessively. I would check this stuff out first before you spend money taking it to a specialty shop.

Rubber side down!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wow, Rocky, I way 202, are you saying I am too heavy for my stock 04 R6. I mean I admit I know nothing about bike setup and I have what ever the factory set it at. Man I need to learn to ride and set this beast up.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I was trying to make the point, that if you start pushing yourself to the point that your suspension is getting upset, THEN you need to get your suspension sorted out properly. I gave him those points to consider mainly because he implied that he rides really aggressively.

If you are just starting out riding, or keep things tame on the road... you are going to be OK with the stock stuff and just getting the settings to your liking. Have someone help you set your sag, and you will be fine for a while.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cool Rocky, I did not mean to come across negative. Thanks for the heads up. I will keep your advice in mind as I start improving my skills. Thanks

·
Registered
836 Posts
Hey, my pleasure... sorry if I sounded kinda snippy.

Having a pretty shitty day at work, so I think I am snapping at everyone... even when I am typing. :roll:

·
Registered
327 Posts
What kind of tires do you have, and what condition are they in? Anyway-I once went a long time without riding my bike, and when I got back on, everything felt weird. I was a little paranoid about everything I felt in the bike. After a while, I got used to my bike again, and now it feels fine.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Also......yes, like asked above about weight. yes, 200+ is too much for stock, however you can get used to it. I am 6'4" at 220 and I KNOW my '03 stock suspension is weak for me. I do need to get some work done in my forks with some stiffer springs etc. and the rear could also use it. When i push my bike it pushes and hops and causes an uneven wear i can see on my tires.

A properly set up suspension will make you think your bike rides like shit on the street, stiff on rough spots, very quick to rebound, and damping almost goes unnoticed.

A good $300-$400 and the right tuning will make any rider, size or weight feel better about the bike. but like i say, you can also adjust yourself in a way when riding and get a "feel" for the bike."

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok,

I havent had a chance to look at the things you guys suggested and I thank you for the advice. after riding today i noticed that on the fork tubes, up near the top there is a good deal of rust.

If looking from the front, the left tube has one little rust spot, the right one has alot. The rust spots are outside of the suspension play, as I can see where the suspension goes up to when fully compressed.

I just came by a good amount of money selling my house and I am paying off the bike in one lump sum. In your opionion, is it a good idea to just replace the forks? If so, is it possible that I could get inverted forks for an '01 R6 and would this increase performance in any way?

I thank you again for the advice. peace

p.s. bike week is off the chain!! little bit windy and cold today tho. ALOT of sport bikes, alot more than I thought would be there.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yeah...... You can replace the forks with R1 inverted forks. But you have to buy more R1 stuff and not just the forks. YOu need the tripples, clip-ons etc..

Cool mod and yes that suspension will be a tad more stiff and have less rake. You'll want a steering damper for sure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any round about idea as to how much it will cost me? if it costs too much i'll just get the stock forks replaced as I don't have alot of money to dump into it, plus i'm planning on buying an R1 soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wobbling

Awhile ago I dumped my 6 riding a wheelie. Completely looped it. :cuss All the damage to my 03 R-6 was repaired. I just recently put larger tires on it. I am running a 180 on the rear and a 170 on the front. (Dunlops) when I am on the road I can feel a a wobble from the front end. Sometimes grooves on the roadway can cause this or, even the wind blowing can cause this. My mechanic checked for bent forks (none) and also a bent rim (none). Can anyone give a little insight to what the problem may be?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Head Bearings :?:

How the hell do you fit a 170 on the front - Why for that matter :idea:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I think he meant a 70 series tire on the front. Looks like he needs to check out highbimn's sit for the 70 series conversion mod. I would think that wobble like that would be caused by an out-of-balance tire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Wobble

Yeah,

I meant a 120 / 70 on the front. The 6 is so easy to lean in twisties it is ridiculous. Putting that 120 / 70 up front and that larger on the back makes knee complete without effort. Thanks for the info on the tire. Getting my 6 serviced this weekend. Getting ready for MotoGP next month. :mrgreen:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts