Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I recently discovered my Gen1 was missing two frame collars between crash knobs location points.
I ordered in the replacements, to discover the frame points they slip into are twisted.
Refer to the below image as to the location of bend & collar in question

What I suspect has happened is at some stage the previous owner dropped her causing
  1. the right side the frame slider was more than likely ripped out in a rearward twist action
  2. the left side similar but not ripped out just bent/ twisted

To get the collars in place I can
  1. file the collars down to suit the remaining frame mount points (maybe 4mm filing)
  2. bend (slight twist action) the frame points back to as close as possible to original (maybe 4mm)

The rest of the frame is little to no severe damage, she rides true & straight.
I picked her up as a repairable write-off with intention of being a track day ride/ disposable toy so I am not too fussed about perfection.
But I am interested in getting a secure engine mount point with new sliders to protect her somewhat from spills.

If any experienced parties have suggestions or preference to approach my fix from, your input is welcomed?

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Any concerns regarding bending the frame back in place
-ie could/is it likely the frame crack under strain?

Bueller?

Bueller?...

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Their are companies that straighten frames, I'd give them a call for answers. I have no idea and I don't recall coming across any threads here about frame tweaking.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
I'm guessing most of us have never tried massaging a frame like this. :laugh

The most info I can offer is that aluminum levers tend to snap whenever I've tried to bend them back without putting a torch to them first. I'd be hesitant to try to bend an aluminum frame back into shape without the advice of someone who's done it successfully more than once.

I have no idea what (if any) there is in the metallurgy between the frame and levers though. Cast/forged, specific alloy, etc., etc.

Hopefully someone in the know will chime in, as I'd love to learn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Their are companies that straighten frames, I'd give them a call for answers. I have no idea and I don't recall coming across any threads here about frame tweaking.
Thanks for the responses all,
I know of a couple places here that have frame jigs and professionally correct frames,
but being that it is such a small twist, I am hoping to do it myself without having to strip the bike back to bare frame.

I will call them for advice and consider further

Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All sorted!

I managed to get the collars in place last night without too much effort.

Placing the collars in the frame hole I was able to force them into place with the help of my magic mallet:sing

Now I just need to make the left hand side mount line up correctly to get the bolt through

1 - 6 of 6 Posts