Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
"Hollywood"
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Ive looked and wanted a direct answer...I bought a GYTR slipon for my 06 R6, and there are mid-pipes out there to buy, but couldnt the local muffler shop cut out the cat, weld on some new pipes in place and keep the headers stock? If so should the honeycomb be busted out? With no PCIII the o2 sensor should stay intact so the ECU will adjust to the new setup correct? I know the ideal thing is to buy race full setup but most of us are looking for cheaper ways if possible. Any light on the subject? :)

·
Phi Phi K A
823 Posts
The honeycomb you speak of IS actually the cat. The big box under the bike is the muffler. They call it the mid ship muffler. To answer your question, yes a good shop could do it. Yes, you can still bore out the cat. Yes, you need to retain the 02 sensor. Yes, your ECU will adjust to the set up. I do not think you will find a shop that will do the work for cheaper then buying a mid pipe from one of the guys on the site.

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
U need a PCIII trust me lol I was running my GYTR/Midpipe with my 02 sensor an ECU an it ran like crap...buggin out an some spots no give or anything. Disconnecting the 02 sensor an running with a PCIII map ( right now im using an Akrapovic full exhaust map) an it runs 10x better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClG-r48vmHA

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
when you put on the mid pipe did you have to cut the cat off or does is bolt/slide on...
i got it from www.mjsperformance.com He cuts the cat off an turns your stock headers into race headers. And its all welded. No clamps

compared to your stock.....

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you buy the kit from MJS you wont look back. For hp/dollar ratio it is EASILY worth it. It sounds great too. I get commented on all the time, from people ridding some real nice bikes, telling me how nice it sounds. People hear you coming from a while off and it sounds like an F1 at full noise

·
Registered
313 Posts
+1 to MJS. Great price and great sound! Either send him your header or find a used one and send that one to him. Quick turn-around and great communication. The F1 thing is also true, thats exactly how it sounds. You might find a local shop to do the work but here's the issue...removing/altering emission devices from an originally equipped vehicle is illegal for on-road use. Most muffler shops will not do the mod due to the liability. If you find one you trust then yes they can do it. Remember that MJS already has the template for remounting exactly in the stock location AND he powdercoats it before returning it so those two things save you time and money compared to a local shop.

·
"Hollywood"
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok so if I go GYTR slip-on and the MJS headers with no PCIII (just for now) where does the ECU sensor hook up too? Thats the spark plug looking thing with wires in the stock cat-box right?

·
Registered
313 Posts
what about inspection? or are motorcycle and car inspection totally different in regards to having the cat in place??
motorcycles (for at least now) do not have to pass emissions for inspection and do not have to pass any sort of emission equipment check like cars

Ok so if I go GYTR slip-on and the MJS headers with no PCIII (just for now) where does the ECU sensor hook up too? Thats the spark plug looking thing with wires in the stock cat-box right?
MJS will use the threaded sensor hole from your stock piece and weld it back it into the new header in the same location so you can just screw O2 sensor back in when you get the new header. Yes its that sensor in the cat box (oxygen sensor, aka O2 sensor).

·
Draggin knee's
969 Posts
U mean your 02 sensor? IF so, it plugs right back into the hole on your pipe. Thats if Mike made a spot for you to put back in ur 02 sensor.

p.s. Once u install your PCIII, GET RID OF THAT 02 SENSOR!!! lol

·
Registered
10 Posts
or you guys could just go the quicker and cheaper route...put an 05 header on your bike. bolt on, no cat, and I just got mine for only 70 bucks including shipping...just look around and people will have them for sale.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts