Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to say after the slipper clutch mod, I could really focus on braking, rather than worrying about revmatching. Made a world of difference. The back tire would slide just a bit under hard braking but it was smooth and predictable. I won't say that this mod alone helped me shave nearly 5 seconds a lap, but it certainly helped by letting me focus on other things.

I did the no fingers/fingers/no fingers. Best bang for the buck considering I didn't pay a dime! Actually makes the slipper clutch a slipper clutch! Made me feel like a pro!

My advice is to do it if you're a racer or someone serious about shaving time of laps on trackdays.

·
Love my bike
1,398 Posts
I have to say after the slipper clutch mod, I could really focus on braking, rather than worrying about revmatching. Made a world of difference. The back tire would slide just a bit under hard braking but it was smooth and predictable. I won't say that this mod alone helped me shave nearly 5 seconds a lap, but it certainly helped by letting me focus on other things.

I did the no fingers/fingers/no fingers. Best bang for the buck considering I didn't pay a dime! Actually makes the slipper clutch a slipper clutch! Made me feel like a pro!

My advice is to do it if you're a racer or someone serious about shaving time of laps on trackdays.
I couldn't agree more. Ant at Bauce Racing did mine in my last bike and will do it the new one I just bought. I don't have to worry about the rear wheel locking anymore and like you said, no need to rev match anymore.

·
Why yes I don't!!!!!!!!!!
4,810 Posts

stock isnt terrible compared to a GSxR. What setup did you end up with? All the springs trimmed? 2? 1?

·
billdozer
1,865 Posts
my stock slipper seems to work good, not saying that the slipper mod wouldn't make it better but i don't rev match and downshifts are quick and smooth imo...

Turboblew, he left one spring untouched, the middle one, and the inner and outer springs he cut off all 3 fingers.

·
4,810 Posts
my stock slipper seems to work good, not saying that the slipper mod wouldn't make it better but i don't rev match and downshifts are quick and smooth imo...

Turboblew, he left one spring untouched, the middle one, and the inner and outer springs he cut off all 3 fingers.
Sorry I read it as he tried different setups. :lmao

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

If it works well for you, that is all that matters. I try not to worry about what other people use unless it seems like something that might make riding easier, or better for ME. Always something to keep in mind. I try to do things in small increments also. Since I started racing this year I've just made small changes everytime out and it has paid off for me well in regard to improvement. Every race I've been faster and so has the bike.

Funny things like levers I prefer stock and see no advantage to aftermarket. My rearset is stock also. However I could benefit from raising foot pegs, since my tow sliders seem to be getting a little too much abuse. I'm getting aftermarket clipons because my last crash ruined the stock ones, so I look forward to playing around with different adjustments.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,719 Posts
before you go hacking the fingers of 2 of the 3 "Y" springs, try one without fingers first. Or even cut half the fingers off of 1 spring. Yea, removing fingers of 2 of the 3 fingers reduces the engine braking by 66%.. but ya need SOME engine braking to get a bike to turn well. I would say even more so that if you are a uber-talented rider. Lots of slip, with very little engine braking, means you are relying on the front tire to scrub speed, or all front brake (and front tire) to get you slowed down and into a corner. Well, for many, that is just gonna lead to a freewheeling, near false-neutral feeling, where you are using way more front brake and front tire traction than ya might be comfortable doing.

i'm not saying don't do this mod, but those springs cost about $15 each if you don't like losing that much engine braking, so try cutting one first. And yea, I had Bauceracing reduce a mild amount of eb on my bike and i run 2 full springs, and 1 cut a bit.. but i like a bit more eb than some..

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
With the mod done I still need to rev match a bit under extremely hard braking situations.

And like Greg, I really like some engine braking there for when I'm easing the clutch out. I like both feet on the pegs vs rear braking. I prefer to use the clutch as the rear brake in most turns.

I trimmed a bit off one spring, a bit more off the second and third one is stock. Works great!!

And +1 to custom engine braking setups to work with the modded clutch.

:YEA

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
before you go hacking the fingers of 2 of the 3 "Y" springs, try one without fingers first. Or even cut half the fingers off of 1 spring. Yea, removing fingers of 2 of the 3 fingers reduces the engine braking by 66%.. but ya need SOME engine braking to get a bike to turn well. I would say even more so that if you are a uber-talented rider. Lots of slip, with very little engine braking, means you are relying on the front tire to scrub speed, or all front brake (and front tire) to get you slowed down and into a corner. Well, for many, that is just gonna lead to a freewheeling, near false-neutral feeling, where you are using way more front brake and front tire traction than ya might be comfortable doing.

i'm not saying don't do this mod, but those springs cost about $15 each if you don't like losing that much engine braking, so try cutting one first. And yea, I had Bauceracing reduce a mild amount of eb on my bike and i run 2 full springs, and 1 cut a bit.. but i like a bit more eb than some..
awesome race vids melkman! How long have you been racing?

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Pssh, all you high-falutin', slipper-clutch-havin', third gen riders! Complaining about how "oh my slipper clutch doesn't work good enough for me unless I go in and cut it up and do all this fancy nonsense to my ECU to get rid of my enginer breaking".

It's 2nd-gen, rear-wheel sliding, slow-ass clutch releasing for life for me!

;)

·
billdozer
1,865 Posts
If it works well for you, that is all that matters. I try not to worry about what other people use unless it seems like something that might make riding easier, or better for ME. Always something to keep in mind. I try to do things in small increments also. Since I started racing this year I've just made small changes everytime out and it has paid off for me well in regard to improvement. Every race I've been faster and so has the bike.
Cool bro, so cutting off the arms of 2 of the 3 y springs is a small increment?

... And I was simply stating the stock slipper does function as a slipper should and rev matching is not required as you make it seem that you have to revmatch without the mod. Maybe the stock slipper would work better for you if you changed how you downshifted??? It's not always the bike that needs a change...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool bro, so cutting off the arms of 2 of the 3 y springs is a small increment?

... And I was simply stating the stock slipper does function as a slipper should and rev matching is not required as you make it seem that you have to revmatch without the mod. Maybe the stock slipper would work better for you if you changed how you downshifted??? It's not always the bike that needs a change...
Hmm, I think you misunderstood my reply. I was agreeing with you in that if the stock slipper works for you, then that's great. For all you or I know, maybe your stackup in the clutch is different, and that's why it works okay for you. I'm just saying that the stock slipper didn't work for me the way I wanted it to. No need to get all uptight. But, 2 of 3 was what I wanted to do. I was recommended by a lot of racers locally that that's they way to go for what I wanted. Maybe I rely too much on the front brake, I dunno. I'm still learning. But I do know that I was much faster not having to rev match, and before there was no way to downshift while braking extremely hard and not revmatch, otherwise my rear wheel was all over and chattering. Now it works the way I expect it to.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
4,810 Posts
Funny things like levers I prefer stock and see no advantage to aftermarket. My rearset is stock also. However I could benefit from raising foot pegs, since my tow sliders seem to be getting a little too much abuse. I'm getting aftermarket clipons because my last crash ruined the stock ones, so I look forward to playing around with different adjustments.
The stock clipons are meant for a 12yr old. Changing to real live clipons allowed a much better riding position and it didnt feel like I was pushing a shopping cart around. Picked up nearly 6" of width moving the bars a few degrees forward than stock.
If you lose the stock seat for a superbike tail you'll pick up a ton of rear tire feel.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The stock clipons are meant for a 12yr old. Changing to real live clipons allowed a much better riding position and it didnt feel like I was pushing a shopping cart around. Picked up nearly 6" of width moving the bars a few degrees forward than stock.
If you lose the stock seat for a superbike tail you'll pick up a ton of rear tire feel.
Yeah, it's going to be nice to have a little extra leverage. The seat that's on the bike now is stock seat base, but with some type of rubber grip material. No cushion y foam. Superbike tail would be cool, but I wouldn't be able to run 600ss once I graduate to expert. But yeah, I definitely need to work on getting my rear feel figured out. I was sliding around a little too much in my last race, and I crashed. I know it's 99% rider induced, but I think my setup could be greatly improved, just not sure which direction to go. I am going to try a medium rear tire next time rather then the medium+.

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The pics don't show in that thread. I'm very interested in this mod
From what I've been told, this is what many of the AMA guys were doing. There is some sort of documentation about it from YEC. I found it on the internet a few weeks ago, not sure where I saw it now. Google image search for r6 slipper mod, and you should find some images of what you're looking for.

Basically you take off the clutch cover, then pressure plate, then loosen the center nut and behind the nut are the three "springs" you basically turn two of them into washers or "shims" Leave the center one alone. Put it all back together carefully to make sure that the shims and springs are centered properly, otherwise you'll break off the spring when you go to tighten the nut. When I took mine apart on my ebay motor, someone already did this mod, but didn't center the springs properly and smooshed the spring, which made the fingers break off.

Seriously, like everyone else said, the biggest pain in the a** is putting the cover back on. Make sure you put it on right, because I messed up and had an oil leak. I almost hurt myself at the track, but fortunately I caught it before any of it got to my rear tire or on the track.

·
Rubber side down
512 Posts
I've heard of the leaving the intact spring in the first position, but this is the first time I've heard about it in the middle. I've done the staggered approach with cutting down the outer two, but I'm wanting to go full bore on cutting them down completely.

·
Parts Pimp
26,472 Posts
I've heard of the leaving the intact spring in the first position, but this is the first time I've heard about it in the middle. I've done the staggered approach with cutting down the outer two, but I'm wanting to go full bore on cutting them down completely.

Just a heads up for everyone since nobody mentioned it but changing these springs up allows the clutch to slip more in both directions. I have a racer who runs my ecu's and he's running one spring with the tab still and two without the tab. Essentially one spring only and goes through a clutch every few race weekends.... That's just not an option in my book.

It does make the quick shifter feel a bit smoother tho. LOL

1 - 20 of 37 Posts