Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if there is anyone who has done the slipper clutch mod on their r6 and also used one with an aftermarket slipper clutch. Basically would like to know how each compares to stock settings. One of my biggest problems on track is trying to brake, blip and downshift at the same time and it is such a problem that I try to stay in one gear for entire tracks. This in turn make me slow as heck, lol.

Any information you guys might have would be great.

·
iRun
33,318 Posts
what is this "slipper clutch mod" you speak of? I rode my brother's 2004 with a yoyodyne slipper and it was great... I don't have any comparison experience with the 3rd gen aftermarket slippers and the stock though.

·
Waiting On the weather...
1,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what is this "slipper clutch mod" you speak of? I rode my brother's 2004 with a yoyodyne slipper and it was great... I don't have any comparison experience with the 3rd gen aftermarket slippers and the stock though.
I have been trying to do some research on it and apparently there are several ways you can do it. This link shows one way of doing it:

http://apexridersdfwmc.com/Doc/Slipper%20Clutch%20mod.pdf

Also read that if you leave the first spring stock, then take 6mm off the second and 12mm off the third spring, the effects are very good.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
lol, how do you ride if you cant brake and throttle blip at the same time?

I blip for every downshift i do, even when coming to a full stop. and that's on the street.
I usually just let the clutch out much slower. Every time I try to blip while braking the pressure I am applying changes. Add in that I have to do this in shorter periods of time on track and it is just not working.

·
iRun
33,318 Posts
I have been trying to do some research on it and apparently there are several ways you can do it. This link shows one way of doing it:

http://apexridersdfwmc.com/Doc/Slipper Clutch mod.pdf

Also read that if you leave the first spring stock, then take 6mm off the second and 12mm off the third spring, the effects are very good.

Veeery interesting. I might have to dive into this.... Next winter.

·
Is this a segment?
17,688 Posts
Was wondering if there is anyone who has done the slipper clutch mod on their r6 and also used one with an aftermarket slipper clutch. Basically would like to know how each compares to stock settings. One of my biggest problems on track is trying to brake, blip and downshift at the same time and it is such a problem that I try to stay in one gear for entire tracks. This in turn make me slow as heck, lol.

Any information you guys might have would be great.
Save yourself a ton of money and correct your technique first. Try separating all the actions if you're having trouble doing so much at once (i.e. downshift before you get to braking marker or visa versa). With a slipper clutch you don't really need to blip w/ your downshift - that being said, the stock slipper clutch isn't stellar and isn't the most forgiving if your actions aren't the smoothest, this is where the "mod" comes in. From my understanding, it just makes the action that much looser - allowing more room for "error" I guess.
I don't blip the throttle at the track, if your timing is right you shouldn't need to either.

lol, how do you ride if you cant brake and throttle blip at the same time?

I blip for every downshift i do, even when coming to a full stop. and that's on the street.
And how does that make you feel? :laugh

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ haha. I am right there with ya. Things always seem to go wrong when I work on the bike. Simply trying to take rearsets off today and I find a bolt head is stripped so I can't change out my rearsets.

·
iRun
33,318 Posts
All this talk of blipping the throttle on the downshift is getting me confused... When I don't use the clutch lever (up shifting or downshifting) I abruptly CLOSE the throttle, throw it up/down a gear, then get right on it again. :wtf are you all doing?

·
Le Troll
3,335 Posts
And how does that make you feel? :laugh
GOOD lmao

^ haha. I am right there with ya. Things always seem to go wrong when I work on the bike. Simply trying to take rearsets off today and I find a bolt head is stripped so I can't change out my rearsets.
lol, exactly

All this talk of blipping the throttle on the downshift is getting me confused... When I don't use the clutch lever (up shifting or downshifting) I abruptly CLOSE the throttle, throw it up/down a gear, then get right on it again. :wtf are you all doing?
rev up 1k real fast when downshifting. Makes it smoother'

·
iRun
33,318 Posts
GOOD lmao

lol, exactly

rev up 1k real fast when downshifting. Makes it smoother'
Right... then abruptly close the throttle. That's what I do.

·
Premium Member
13,349 Posts
Ok I don't ride the track but in all my years of experience I have to say i like the current slipper clutch. Thought it may not be great it is still effective. I can get through all of my shifts without massive blipping, most of the time not even having to blip the throttle. Probably because I just ride in first everywhere :sing

1 - 20 of 69 Posts