Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is it , how does it differ from regular clutches ??

i know the new ninja comes stock with it....

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe slipper clutches allow heavy downshifting without the fear of locking up the rear tire. I hear the uptake on slipper clutches is not as smooth though. I think they are designed to catch one way but the other way has ramps on the clutch and push the clutch pack apart when the tire runs slower than the engine. I know very little about slipper clutches and what I do know could be incorrect so hopefully someone can correct me or elabotrate.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
just like the name implies, a slipper clutch allows for clutch slip when downshifting. You can drop 2-3 gears and the clutch will slip, instead of your rear tire chattering and slipping.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
all i know is that i read about the new one they put on Rossi n Edward's M1 and it did some cray shit.....i can't remember what exactly it did but it sounded really cool....i want one....

·
Registered
279 Posts
ya preaty much the clutch will take the slip instead of the rear tire lock, for example if ur going about 45mph and u down shift into 2th and just drop the clutch ur rear wheel sorta locks for a split second until the gear box gets up to speed.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Nas19320 said:
I believe slipper clutches allow heavy downshifting without the fear of locking up the rear tire. I hear the uptake on slipper clutches is not as smooth though. I think they are designed to catch one way but the other way has ramps on the clutch and push the clutch pack apart when the tire runs slower than the engine. I know very little about slipper clutches and what I do know could be incorrect so hopefully someone can correct me or elabotrate.
explanation here

http://www.hardracing.com/STM.htm

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and this wouldn't effect hard up shifts ?? (slippage)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
I would LOOOOVVVE to have this on my bike, but $1,000.00.....uuuuuh

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
my buddy put one on his Duc. 748...that thing was bad ass. His Aprillia Touono came with one too.

YOu can just dump it to first, let out the clutch, and it just raps out the motor and the clutch slips...but no wheel hope, tire slip.

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
I'm happy with my multi-plate, I kind of like when the wheel locks up for a second it is more fun that way.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Or you could just learn to properly blip the throttle on downshifts instead of dropping $700-800 on something that does it for you.

Just a thought. :hammer

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
It would be nice, but you guys could just not be pussies like all the rest of us and let it slip and slide around a bit on downshifts!!!

It sharpens the riders edge! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
I slide my rear end into corners on purpose so I wouldn't want one anyway.

I figure if I get used to it early, then it wont be a problem when it happens accidentally.

·
Registered
302 Posts
z31maniac said:
Or you could just learn to properly blip the throttle on downshifts instead of dropping $700-800 on something that does it for you.

Just a thought. :hammer
hmm, exactly the way I feel.

Not sure I want to go sideways into a corner, but, eh

1 - 15 of 15 Posts