Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a friend the other day and he said that it probably would be a good idea to use a small stobe light hidden in the headlights on bikes so cagers wuold know that we are there.

I agreed and said that if you make it so you can turn it off when the cop pulls you over you could just say that the flashing was from the bumps in the road etc....

All of this came back to me when last Friday I was coming home from work and a cager in a jeep decided that me flashing my highbeam at him (he looked like he was going to pull out in front of me) was a TURN SIGNAL and proceeded to pull out in front of me... I was so pissed, but didn't want to get into it with him since I probably would have thrown a punch since I just lost a friend 2 weeks ago to a jeep.

sorry for the long post. What does everyone thing of using a small strobe that does not flash fast but enough to make it noticeable?

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
hell if you look at some harleys, they have a strobe effect in their headlights. its actually a mod you have to do to help get peoples attention. it more of a flashing then a strobe but it does work, i see em comin every time

·
Registered
162 Posts
cagers are the sux
I wouldnt use a strobe personally. Just the headlight flasher. If you get caught with a strobe and a cop finds the switch, he could cite you for impersonating an officer.

No worries tho, I am trying to develop a "laser" (must use finger quotes while saying this) to shoot cars.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My friend has one of those on his F4i. Its called an integrator kit. What it does is it strobes your low beam a little bit (not on/off/on/off) just enough to make a difference. He also has a switch with it so he can turn it right off if he wants to. When he beeps the horn, all the lights flash a few times. But deffinatly check to see if it's legal in your state. It's not like it's an annoying effect, but meh, cops will be pricks.

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HighBimminR6 said:
The device that makes your headlight seem like its flashing(actually dims, not totally off) is called a headlight modulator. They are totally legal. Go to this page- http://www.webbikeworld.com/Motorcycle-technical-articles/Modulator-regs.htm and print it out and carry it around with you and you'll be fine if they ever pull you over.
Nice find! That is pretty much exactly what I've seen on a few bikes. I have even had people tell my that the R6's lights do that a little, but I think its from bumps in the road.

The brake light idea is a good one too.. That's one reason that I like some of the intergrater kits that would allow you to pick different brake light patterns. Some of the patterns look like they might help you get noticed; not as much as a strobe but enough. Make sure that yuo do not have "white light" coming from the back, the cops will nail you every time for that.

Sign me up for 3 "lasers" 1 for the bike, one for the truck, and 1 for the wifes car., cagers are always in my way....

·
Registered
836 Posts
I personally think headlight modulators are a bad idea.

#1 - They are annoying to other road users. And given the high occurence of road-rage in this country, it is a bad idea to do anything to aggitate other drivers... especially when you are on a motorcycle.

#2 - Flashing your high-beams is EASILY misunderstood. There is a high likelyhood that the driver you are trying to alert is going to take your flashing lights as your signal for him to go ahead and turn in front of you.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RockyR6 said:
I personally think headlight modulators are a bad idea.

#1 - They are annoying to other road users. And given the high occurence of road-rage in this country, it is a bad idea to do anything to aggitate other drivers... especially when you are on a motorcycle.

#2 - Flashing your high-beams is EASILY misunderstood. There is a high likelyhood that the driver you are trying to alert is going to take your flashing lights as your signal for him to go ahead and turn in front of you.
I have never seen a WHITE turn signal..... I understand where your comming from since I thought about right afterwards and decided that maybe I should just flip on the high beam and leave it on.

·
Registered
786 Posts
drhodes said:
I have never seen a WHITE turn signal..... I understand where your comming from since I thought about right afterwards and decided that maybe I should just flip on the high beam and leave it on.
Thats what I do man... before I get into the intersection, I put my highbeam on... and leave it on until I'm through the intersection... especially when a cager is rushing towards middle of intersection about to start his turn in....
momentarily blinding them discourages them from doing anything stupid, unless they ARE stupid to begin with.... then you can only count on being lucky

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Drooder said:
drhodes said:
Thats what I do man... before I get into the intersection, I put my highbeam on... and leave it on until I'm through the intersection... especially when a cager is rushing towards middle of intersection about to start his turn in....
momentarily blinding them discourages them from doing anything stupid, unless they ARE stupid to begin with.... then you can only count on being lucky
right... one of the fears I have about living in the south... ok, S.C. that is... dumb fuking people.....

I once saw a pickup truck who's cab was probably held on by ducktape (it was visibly moving on the frame) doing 85-90 on I-77 with a handheld mirror ducktaped (see the theme) upside down as the drivers side mirror.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.