Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 232 Posts

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Should have started this thread last year, but I thought I was just going to do some simple mods and end it there. Holy hell was I wrong. :nono

Originally I got the bike wrecked from a guy from NY

Rebuilt it back to street form back in 2010

Then last year I decided to turn it into a dedicated track bike

Bike already had Fren Tubo brake lines from the rebuild so I didn't have to replace those, otherwise there were quite a few changes to be made.

First round of mods in 2012....

MotyDesign 4 cell battery
Puig light smoke windscreen
Brembo RCS19
Brembo fluid reservoir
Brembo clutch lever
Motion Pro throttle kit
Renthal clip-ons
Renthal grips
Starlane Engear gear indicator
Starlane gps-3x lap timer
Optimal Racing fairing kit
KurveyGirl Dzus fastners
MJS full system exhaust
Bohemian Racing rearsets

After installing all the goodies, bike went to the first trackday looking like this

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Re: xzpolskix's 07 track build

2nd trackday I got the plastics coated with PlastiDip. Nothing special just trying to add some color

Then came the first get off. Luckily just some damaged plastics and a broken right clip on.

Took off all the color, fixed the plastics and resprayed it to look like this (also added on an Ohlins steering damper).

That was what it looked like at the end of the 2012 season. 2013 has MANY changes coming.

·
Premium Member
2,901 Posts

Looks sweet! Did that plasti dip hold up after the first track day? I was just looking into this today as an alternative to rattle canning.

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

For 2013 I wanted to finish up the brake setup. Mission complete.

BrakeTech iron rotors (for dry)
MikeyMoto rear rotor (for dry)
Galfer wave rotors (for wet)
Brembo HP calipers (front)
Brembo HP caliper (rear)
Stahlbus speed bleeders for calipers/master cylinder
SBK rear reservoir kit from Aggracing

Also got another set of rims so I can have a dedicated set of "rain" tires for the days when it's not so dry out. Since they were a little chipped I got them powdercoated as well.

Some new parts that just came in last week and still need to be installed...

FastFrankRacing captive wheel spacers
FastFrankRacing front and rear quick change axle kit
HyperRacing case saver
Starlane DaVinci dash
90* valve stems from AggRacing
Tires - Michelin Pilot Road 3 (rain), Michelin Pilot Power 3 (dry)

I will update this thread in a few weeks once everything in on and bike is put back together for first trackday at the end April. :nocontrol

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Sexy. I'll have to find you at BHF sometime. I'm riding a 2002 but I just bought a 2005 for commuting which will be my backup.

I love that red and white.

That's plastidipped? any links to what you used?
We DEFINITELY have to meet up. I seen you running at BHF last year a few times but we'll definitely have to talk. Are you doing Road America in May?

LINK TO PLASTIDIP

I bought my cans through my local auto parts store but various places carry it including HomeDepot and others. Might have to shop around for colors though.

Looks sweet! Did that plasti dip hold up after the first track day? I was just looking into this today as an alternative to rattle canning.
Held up ok (the red paint job was on the bike for 4 trackdays and even in the rain for 1 day). I ended up doing 3 coats on the final version and on the back tip it starts wearing off with my putting on and taking off the cover in the garage. Also on the right side it rubbed off a little where my leg is at but otherwise I can't complain. Beats paying a few hundred to get it professionally painted and you can repaint at any time. Just rub off the old stuff and spray on the new stuff.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

We DEFINITELY have to meet up. I seen you running at BHF last year a few times but we'll definitely have to talk. Are you doing Road America in May?

LINK TO PLASTIDIP

I bought my cans through my local auto parts store but various places carry it including HomeDepot and others. Might have to shop around for colors though.

Held up ok (the red paint job was on the bike for 4 trackdays and even in the rain for 1 day). I ended up doing 3 coats on the final version and on the back tip it starts wearing off with my putting on and taking off the cover in the garage. Also on the right side it rubbed off a little where my leg is at but otherwise I can't complain. Beats paying a few hundred to get it professionally painted and you can repaint at any time. Just rub off the old stuff and spray on the new stuff.
Is there another org other than STT that's hosting at Road America in May? I was going to go to RA on 6/4 with STT, but if I can go there a second time that'd be awesome.

I'll actually be at the first track day this year at BHF, April 10, and on 5/1.

I'm tempted to do the plasti dip now haha...

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Is there another org other than STT that's hosting at Road America in May? I was going to go to RA on 6/4 with STT, but if I can go there a second time that'd be awesome.

I'll actually be at the first track day this year at BHF, April 10, and on 5/1.

I'm tempted to do the plasti dip now haha...
Last year I ran Road America with ZARS. They are MUCH cheaper than STT. I will only be able to do Memorial Day though since I cannot get a 4 day weekend.

Link to ZARS

Wish I could do some Wednesday trackdays but work doesn't allow for that. Mostly I will do weekend days.
I will be out at least once a month at a trackday but check out THIS THREAD for some of the guys from our area and what they will be doing. It's guys from the r1-forum but majority of them are good guys to know and hang out with.

I'm doing all the BHF weekend dates as well as CMP in April, RoadAmerica on May 27th and Autobahn at the end of September. Not sure if you can or not, but the CMP dates are pretty cheap. Only downside is the drive but we got a pretty big group from the r1-forum going and there might be room for 1 more bike in a trailer leaving Indy.

·
Sherman Connoisseur
26,449 Posts

Holy hell you went all out! Awesome awesome bike! :cheers

·
Registered
7,921 Posts

another thing i noticed, im surprised you went with the power 3s for a track day tire. Everything ive seen review based for them markets them as a street tire\canyon type aggressive rider tire but not really a track tire like the power pure or power super sport.

also why not go with full rains? i know i had seen on the r1 forum you said you were advised against that move, can you expand on why you were told that? just curious as ill be looking to pick up a rain set up myself as well. :cheers

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

those brakes :drool:
Price wasn't bad on it either. :fact

Holy hell you went all out! Awesome awesome bike! :cheers
No all out yet but getting there.

:hump :jerkit
Almost.

another thing i noticed, im surprised you went with the power 3s for a track day tire. Everything ive seen review based for them markets them as a street tire\canyon type aggressive rider tire but not really a track tire like the power pure or power super sport.

also why not go with full rains? i know i had seen on the r1 forum you said you were advised against that move, can you expand on why you were told that? just curious as ill be looking to pick up a rain set up myself as well. :cheers
For the "dry" setup I went with the Power 3's because I wanted to stay in the Michelin family. The guy I got the tires from recommended me to get the Road 3's for the rain mainly because of my level of riding. I talked to him about getting a full on rain tire but he said that they require quite a bit of heat in them to work right and that my pace would not be recommended for them. Hell, even getting something like the BT-003rs or the GP211 is not for me yet.
I just got into I so he said that getting the race tires would not benefit me at all. I agree with that and with the tires I got being able to take me into slow A times (which I am a ways away from), no point in getting a more expensive tire that will not work as well for me as these will.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts

For the "dry" setup I went with the Power 3's because I wanted to stay in the Michelin family. The guy I got the tires from recommended me to get the Road 3's for the rain mainly because of my level of riding. I talked to him about getting a full on rain tire but he said that they require quite a bit of heat in them to work right and that my pace would not be recommended for them. Hell, even getting something like the BT-003rs or the GP211 is not for me yet.
I just got into I so he said that getting the race tires would not benefit me at all. I agree with that and with the tires I got being able to take me into slow A times (which I am a ways away from), no point in getting a more expensive tire that will not work as well for me as these will.

yea im in the same boat likely, i had power pures then went to R10s last year. while the R10s were great in the summer, in the fall i dont think i was quick enough to keep heat in the front tire. ill be looking into either a pirelli super corsa SP or the michelin power super sport as both are in the same price range. not sure what ill do for rain yet, last season i spent some time on pures in the rain and liked them but im still up in the air.

that brake set up is amazing looking, i dont see myself doing calipers any time soon but i really want some brake tech irons. ill be following along with this for your review on that dash, is it a plug and play type dash?

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

yea im in the same boat likely, i had power pures then went to R10s last year. while the R10s were great in the summer, in the fall i dont think i was quick enough to keep heat in the front tire. ill be looking into either a pirelli super corsa SP or the michelin power super sport as both are in the same price range. not sure what ill do for rain yet, last season i spent some time on pures in the rain and liked them but im still up in the air.

that brake set up is amazing looking, i dont see myself doing calipers any time soon but i really want some brake tech irons. ill be following along with this for your review on that dash, is it a plug and play type dash?
Yea, I was really set on getting a dedicated rain tire. Although I only did a little more than a handful of trackdays last year, 3 had rain and it sucked with my BT-016's. Supposedly the Road 3's are going to be a significant difference. Initial investment is a little more to have 2 sets but hopefully it will be well worth it.

Dash is pretty much plug and play. Starlane makes a quality product (from what I have tried) so getting this wasn't a big debate for me. I really like the look of the AIM dashes but only the Pista will be able to spit back my track times/lines like the DaVinci will but it is twice the price so that was a no go.
DaVinci is pretty much plug and play. There are only 2 loose wires. One goes to the speed sensor wire and the other I think is for the oil temp (not 100% sure on that). I will be getting the bike back together in a couple of weeks so we'll see how it all goes but most of it is plug and play. Still curious how the gas light works because in the manual it seemed like it need to be programmed but time will tell.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts

Yea, I was really set on getting a dedicated rain tire. Although I only did a little more than a handful of trackdays last year, 3 had rain and it sucked with my BT-016's. Supposedly the Road 3's are going to be a significant difference. Initial investment is a little more to have 2 sets but hopefully it will be well worth it.

Dash is pretty much plug and play. Starlane makes a quality product (from what I have tried) so getting this wasn't a big debate for me. I really like the look of the AIM dashes but only the Pista will be able to spit back my track times/lines like the DaVinci will but it is twice the price so that was a no go.
DaVinci is pretty much plug and play. There are only 2 loose wires. One goes to the speed sensor wire and the other I think is for the oil temp (not 100% sure on that). I will be getting the bike back together in a couple of weeks so we'll see how it all goes but most of it is plug and play. Still curious how the gas light works because in the manual it seemed like it need to be programmed but time will tell.
yea at the moment im just reassembling my bike after a low side and tumble last season. the dash would be something id like to get down the road as the gps lap times is a nice feature. im putting tank foam in my bike and from what ive seen my fuel lamp will stay on now so thats not a big worry.

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

yea at the moment im just reassembling my bike after a low side and tumble last season. the dash would be something id like to get down the road as the gps lap times is a nice feature. im putting tank foam in my bike and from what ive seen my fuel lamp will stay on now so thats not a big worry.
I just wanted to clean up my cockpit so that is why I got the dash. If having the stock dash, gear indicator and lap timer there doesn't bother you then the last setup I had worked REAL well and was half price of what the DaVinci ran me down. I'll keep this thread updated though.

·
Registered
7,921 Posts

I just wanted to clean up my cockpit so that is why I got the dash. If having the stock dash, gear indicator and lap timer there doesn't bother you then the last setup I had worked REAL well and was half price of what the DaVinci ran me down. I'll keep this thread updated though.
as of right now i have no gear indicator and no desire for one, so really i just want a gps lap timer. also i noticed you are still running stock suspension, any plans to change that up?

·
scared of big tracks
8,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

as of right now i have no gear indicator and no desire for one, so really i just want a gps lap timer. also i noticed you are still running stock suspension, any plans to change that up?
Suspension is going to be done during the next off season. This year I had the rotors coming in so I figured I would finish off the brake setup and then do suspension next year.

1 - 20 of 232 Posts