Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know nothin about em...:dunce:

1. What are they for?
2. Any noticeable performance gains if any at all?
3. How tough is the installation?

Thanks ya'll! :D

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
I put the smog block offs on my bike a couple of months ago. If you put a PC3 commander on your bike you will get a bunch of popping sounds out of the smog control system without the block offs. They are simply plates that cover the ports that the pump and smog controls sits on. You actually remove your smog control on your bike when you put the block offs on. Is there a performance gain? I don't really know, but my bike quit the popping and that is what I was after. I'm sure there is a gain though, I just don't know how much. It is a bit of a pain to install if you go by the instructions that tells you to install by removing your radiator. The best and easiest way to install the block offs is to remove your tank, remove your airbox, remove the plastic cover that will expose the exhaust and block offs, and work from that position. It makes it a "WHOLE LOT EASIER" for sure. Otherwise you will be busting you knuckles up removing the allen screws that hold the smog control system in place.

·
Just Burnin Time
2,219 Posts
I dont think you get any gains, but like Paytheon says, its massively decreases decel popping with a full system. If you do it through that tank the install is less than an hour from start to finish with the right tools.

·
Registered
44 Posts
most of the times people use them just for dynoing...they give you a better air/fuel mixture reading for a better mapping..mostly for a cuztom map. once you tune ur bike with them on you can take the smog plates back off and be able to pound it with out any back fire or popping...so no more blue flame coming out of ur exhaust. most race bikes are set up where the fuel is richer than normal..which will give them the fame shooting out the pipe. its not bad at first but if you run ur bike with rich fuel for a long time you'll start having valve problem..carbon will build up around the valve seat and not seal proper when the valve is closed , and a lose of compression will result.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
most of the times people use them just for dynoing...they give you a better air/fuel mixture reading for a better mapping..mostly for a cuztom map. once you tune ur bike with them on you can take the smog plates back off and be able to pound it with out any back fire or popping...so no more blue flame coming out of ur exhaust. most race bikes are set up where the fuel is richer than normal..which will give them the fame shooting out the pipe. its not bad at first but if you run ur bike with rich fuel for a long time you'll start having valve problem..carbon will build up around the valve seat and not seal proper when the valve is closed , and a lose of compression will result.
Actually, this is not what I've experienced. It is essential to keep the block offs on after you dyno. As NVCrawler stated, the decel popping will come back because of the smog pump. I would not recommend this.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Actually, this is not what I've experienced. It is essential to keep the block offs on after you dyno. As NVCrawler stated, the decel popping will come back because of the smog pump. I would not recommend this.
that popping sound is ur air/fuel mixture.
for example. if you take a bike with a full exhaust, PCIII and use a downloaded map...you'll get the popping sound v.s. the same bike with a custom map. were you fine time your air/fuel
the only reason for a PC is to adjust the air and fuel.
you can keep the smog plates on yes it wont hurt anything. you might be able to get a extra horse power out just cuz your able to get a better tune at the dyno.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put the smog block offs on my bike a couple of months ago. If you put a PC3 commander on your bike you will get a bunch of popping sounds out of the smog control system without the block offs. They are simply plates that cover the ports that the pump and smog controls sits on. You actually remove your smog control on your bike when you put the block offs on. Is there a performance gain? I don't really know, but my bike quit the popping and that is what I was after. I'm sure there is a gain though, I just don't know how much. It is a bit of a pain to install if you go by the instructions that tells you to install by removing your radiator. The best and easiest way to install the block offs is to remove your tank, remove your airbox, remove the plastic cover that will expose the exhaust and block offs, and work from that position. It makes it a "WHOLE LOT EASIER" for sure. Otherwise you will be busting you knuckles up removing the allen screws that hold the smog control system in place.
Gotcha, thanks man. So that means I'm going to get an annoying popping once I install that PCIII that just got to my house? :(

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, so, after installing these, can you safely remove your smog pump for a little weight savings? or will it screw up your ecu? if it does screw up your ecu can you get it custom mapped at a dyno shop anyway/ use the PCIII custom map to clear it out?

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
that popping sound is ur air/fuel mixture.
for example. if you take a bike with a full exhaust, PCIII and use a downloaded map...you'll get the popping sound v.s. the same bike with a custom map. were you fine time your air/fuel
the only reason for a PC is to adjust the air and fuel.
you can keep the smog plates on yes it wont hurt anything. you might be able to get a extra horse power out just cuz your able to get a better tune at the dyno.
I guess it is possible to tune your bike out with the smog system on. I had mine dyno'd and they couldn't do it. Once the block offs were put on it solved my problem.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
Ok, so, after installing these, can you safely remove your smog pump for a little weight savings? or will it screw up your ecu? if it does screw up your ecu can you get it custom mapped at a dyno shop anyway/ use the PCIII custom map to clear it out?
Your ECU won't be impacted at all. But you will more than like want a custom map.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So how difficult is it to remove the smog pump and what hoses need to be plugged or cut? Is this the kinda thing best left to a pro? I'm really good at any type of mechanical work, everything done to my bike and truck and car was done by myself. But I've never removed a smog pump and I'm not sure how many vacuum lines or sensors are tied in with the smog system.

·
Premium Member
18,783 Posts
So how difficult is it to remove the smog pump and what hoses need to be plugged or cut? Is this the kinda thing best left to a pro? I'm really good at any type of mechanical work, everything done to my bike and truck and car was done by myself. But I've never removed a smog pump and I'm not sure how many vacuum lines or sensors are tied in with the smog system.
You will physically remove the pump and hoses from the bike. Everything goes. The block offs are plate covers. It's very easy to do.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I guess it is possible to tune your bike out with the smog system on. I had mine dyno'd and they couldn't do it. Once the block offs were put on it solved my problem.
i got a 06 the only problem was the fly-by-wire sh!t hard to bypass and could only tune 8000RPMs and above. i dont have no smog block offs. the dyno i used had a line were the air and fuel should be at and another line overlapping which was the actuall air/fuel my bike gave. the two line were very close. maybe the dyno you used was a older version...idk really you may be right from ur experiance.

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You will physically remove the pump and hoses from the bike. Everything goes. The block offs are plate covers. It's very easy to do.
Awesome! Think you could make a how to for us there paytheon?:popcorn:

·
Mr. B (Florida Boy)
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can send you instructions if you want.
Sure! Is that for just installing the plates or removing the whole smog pump and everything?

·
sha shaaa...!
2,383 Posts
I can send you instructions if you want.
Excuse me good sir, can you please forward ME the instructions?:toocool:

thanks cause i just got my PC and gonna buy my smog block off plates and remove the pump as well. and i gotta change the spark plugs. recommend any when getting a custume tune ie badass ...? thanks.

thanks
Brandon

ps....super thread revival....:D

·
R6 noob
29 Posts
to answer the initial question, the block off plates are just a way to remove the pointless emission system.

if you're looking for another mod to 'add to the list' then by all means go for it, but the benefit is so miniscule that i wouldn't bother.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts