Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2007 R6 with 15k miles on it. Have owned it for about a year. Did my own oil and coolant changes. Recently I have had smoke coming out of the engine area. It never happens when starting up only after the engine heats up. It smells like something is burning. I assumed I was leaking oil or coolant, but the levels are holding steady. Anybody have any idea what could be the problem? Recently the temperatures here have warmed up, but I'm not sure if that's contributing to the problem, but no change in coolant temperature. I'm using a 20% Prestone 80% Water +water wetter mix in Cali. Thanks!

*edit* also no change in the way the bike running, just some smoke from the engine area

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe you over filled it with oil and the crank is splashing through the oil and making it smoke from a breather
Thank you for your help. I am going to take off the fairings and see if I can pinpoint the exact location the smoke is coming from. I last changed the oil 2k miles ago. Is it possible I overfilled it then and I'm seeing the effects now? Dipstick level is within norm.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
Oh, if its been ok for 2k its unlikely that the level is too high.

Did it tip over? Oil can get into the airbox if so. Over oiling the filter can do this too.

Check the coolant hoses for drips. They get so crushed down by the clamps over time and can start leaking too.

Otherwise put it on a rear stand and lay paper towels under the bike and look for any drips and then look directly
Above the drips

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, if its been ok for 2k its unlikely that the level is too high.

Did it tip over? Oil can get into the airbox if so. Over oiling the filter can do this too.

Check the coolant hoses for drips. They get so crushed down by the clamps over time and can start leaking too.

Otherwise put it on a rear stand and lay paper towels under the bike and look for any drips and then look directly
Above the drips
It has not tipped over, at least not in the last 3k miles :D I took off all the fairings and fired it up. Let it idle until the fan came on and did not see any smoke. However, I noticed my kickstand and oil filter area had a had a thin layer of oil on it. I think my oil filter has a slow leak. When I installed it, I remember the letters on the filter was perpendicular to the ground like +. Now the letters are parallel to the ground. It looks like it untwisted a quarter turn. I tightened it a quarter turn. Will report if this fixes my problem. Thanks Chief!

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
It has not tipped over, at least not in the last 3k miles :D I took off all the fairings and fired it up. Let it idle until the fan came on and did not see any smoke. However, I noticed my kickstand and oil filter area had a had a thin layer of oil on it. I think my oil filter has a slow leak. When I installed it, I remember the letters on the filter was perpendicular to the ground like +. Now the letters are parallel to the ground. It looks like it untwisted a quarter turn. I tightened it a quarter turn. Will report if this fixes my problem. Thanks Chief!

:cheers

:YEA

1 - 7 of 7 Posts