Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Stealth r6
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I didn't know where this topic would be better placed do im just throwing it up on here. So my problem right now that I'm having is every once in a while I'll start up my bike and white smoke will come out of it for a little while then clear up. I've checked the oil and it's where it needs to be on the stick and it doesn't ride hott either. So I don't know what's going on with it. So any help or input is apperciated. Thanks.

·
I said biiiiiiiitch.....
528 Posts
Depends on what you mean by "smoke".

It's usual to have white puffs of water vapor come out the tail pipe. It's most common when the bike has been sitting for a while (like overnight), when it's cool out, and when things are wet. It shouldn't do that for more than a minute or two and stop when the bike warms up.

If there is "smoke" coming out, then that's a bad thing. White is coolant, blue is burning oil. Both have a strong, distinct smell.

My guess is you're just seeing water vapor, but a video would help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
If the "smoke" goes away, I would bet that it's just water vapor, which is perfectly normal. It's just condensation build up in the exhaust. Since it goes away, that pretty much rules out coolant, as that would be constant.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I'm often blown away how many guys on forums have never seen the condensation vapors from exhaust before. Especially anyone living where you have winters.

But that also doesn't mean it's not oil. Un common for a r6 but a higher mileage car you may see a puff of blueish smoke on startup only. Which is bad valve seals and or guides.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts