Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need a tinted shield. I didn't know this but apparently an iridium visor allows for night visibility? Is this true. I work 2nd shift so I ride in during the day and leave during the night. If I could get something that would suffice for both that would be awesome.

Thanks guys.

·
Prove it!
511 Posts
I know mine doesn't allow for night visbility. I have blue iridium, polorized, dark smoked, and clear shields for all of my helmets. I find that the blue iridium lets in more light while riding into the sun and still seems quite dark at dawn and dusk.

You'll prob have to carry a secondary shield around at all times if you want clear night time visability. Or you could purchase a helmet like the new HJC that has a secondary flip down shield or a helmet with an auto darkening clear shield.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
The iridiums don't allow any more light through than the medium smoked lenses at night. Trust me... That being said, in a well lit place (like in a larger city) there are enough street lights to be able to see with a medium smoked visor at night. But the highways suck more than you ever want to know. A dark tinted shield is a definite no-no for night riding, obviously.

My personal favorite for night riding is the hi-def yellow visor from Arai. It really tones down the oncoming headlights without blocking out the rest of the light.

·
Intermediate Knee Dragger
1,309 Posts
My thoughts on the Shoei hi res visor are based on the CX-1 visor used on the RF800, etc. The CX-1V on the RF1000 may be different, but I doubt it.

The hi-res for Shoei is more orange than the one from Arai, so it's not quite as good for night riding, but it's not that bad. But for daytime riding, I preferred the Shoei hi res visor because it was just that little bit darker.

·
'taking n00bs to school'
95 Posts
They both suck at night. End of story. I personally think Smoked looks a lot better than iridium. The reflective thing is too ricey for me

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have a light smoke on the SHOEI I have. It is enough to help in the sun to reduce glare and works at night. If you can't have two shields I would recommend a light or at the very most a medium smoke shield.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'm gonna try one of the light smoke or high res visors and see how well they work. Light smoke would be good because I don't really like wearing sunglasses even while driving a car because I feel like it restricts my vision so much, so I know I wouldn't like a really dark visor for the daytime.

·
Registered
3 Posts
For answering the ?, go w/ Smoked, the Iridium shields scratch was to easy. Mine was worthless in less than 2 months. <-- Arai

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
I have a clear and dark tinted. The dark tinted wasnt good enough when it is sunny so I bought a reflective visor and it helps. I dont ever ride with them at night though just the clear for me. If I am out for the day and into the night I will carry the clear visor with me under my jacket. It fits great wrapped around the side of your body I actually forgot it was there and almost dropped it when I took my jacket off.

·
My R6 shoots tequila
1,487 Posts
I have a light smoke on the SHOEI I have. It is enough to help in the sun to reduce glare and works at night. If you can't have two shields I would recommend a light or at the very most a medium smoke shield.
That is what I would do if I didnt want to carry 2 but I work the same kind of schedule you do where I come in during the day and leave at night. I usually carry 2 visors you will be surprised how easy it is to carry one under your jacket wrapped around your ribs. I dont even notice it is there.

·
My R6 has returned!!
1,930 Posts
For answering the ?, go w/ Smoked, the Iridium shields scratch was to easy. Mine was worthless in less than 2 months. <-- Arai
:stupic
ditto - my iridium didn't make it far past the 5th ride and bug juice spatter before it was just annoying having so many scratches in my field of view.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have put about 500 interstate, 85 mph, miles on an iridium (silver) HJC and I dont have a problem at all with scratches, bug juice comes right off with a wet cloth. It also works at night too. Nice shield.

gary

·
Its Only a 600?
319 Posts
I have a Iridium on My Suomy, and it DEF does not allow light in at night. Best thing to do is carry a clear with you so you can swap out. I know it sucks to do, but well worth it.

·
fun and informative
560 Posts
dark smoke ftw

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've had a Gold Iridium on my Suomy for the past year and no problems with it regarding scratches but at night it lowers visibility a little bit to much for my taste. My KBC smoked shield had better visibility at night.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anybody have pictures they can post up with their Suomy shields? and what specific tint/color it is. Thanks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts