Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
My R6S beats me!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me preface this post by saying I don't want a matte black or [insert color here] bike. But...

I bought my current '08 Yamaha R6S having already been dropped and lightly scratched. Here's what it looks like, minus some aftermarket modifications:

I think I want a solid color to keep the cost and labor down as well as to keep it clean. Currently, all my gear is a combination of blue, white and black. And that severely restricts my gear options (because I like to match without looking tacky).

What color, again, preferably solid, can the Yamaha R6S pull off? I originally thought about the black with gold wheels and accents that my '09 R6 sported (and that was a option on the R6S), but I don't think it looks as nice on a R6S.

So what does the R6 Forum think? Thanks in advance.

·
scared of big tracks
8,491 Posts
This probably won't end well, huh?
Why not?
Many people have done it. I did it to my track bike and thought it came out halfway decent.
OP - from what I've seen, PlastiDip doesn't cover very well. White will not cover any color. I did 3 coats and it still did nothing. You could see the color behind. Red was a pain as well because after getting my plastics fixed from an off, I out green primer down over the patched up spot and it kept showing through the red (after coats).
Good luck and enjoy peeling it off the hard to reach places when you decide to get rid of the PlastiDip.

·
My R6S beats me!
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why not?
Many people have done it. I did it to my track bike and thought it came out halfway decent.
OP - from what I've seen, PlastiDip doesn't cover very well. White will not cover any color. I did 3 coats and it still did nothing. You could see the color behind. Red was a pain as well because after getting my plastics fixed from an off, I out green primer down over the patched up spot and it kept showing through the red (after coats).
Good luck and enjoy peeling it off the hard to reach places when you decide to get rid of the PlastiDip.
These are things I haven't really thought of prior to this. If it matters or helps my case, I was thinking about doing it black.

·
pin it to win it
8,080 Posts
Plasti dip will cover even black rims...done it a few times. 3 good coats of white then your main color. Works well for me

·
Boobs and Bikes
24 Posts
I have plasti dipped my past 2 bikes several times. My best advice is DO NOT use plasti dip. Use the Canadian version Protect_Dip. Protect dip always dries smoothe and looks great. Plasti dip is easy to **** up with. If you spray from too far or too close you will get an ugly rough look. Protect dip in my experience is always smoothe. They have a better formula than plasti dip. check it out on Google, it is worth ordering online if you don't live in Canada.

·
Boobs and Bikes
24 Posts
And don't listen to people saying it is hard to get off. You can buy dip spray which dissolves plasti dip and then rinse it off

·
2007 R6
915 Posts
I have the wheels plastidipped on my truck and corvette. I also did a few other small things on the car and it's been on there about a year and a half. I've thought about doing a bike but would like to see some pictures of what others have done with their bikes.

Good luck !

·
Vroom Vroom
611 Posts
Why not?
You probably didn't do enough coats. I plasti dipped my rims and they look great. If you coat them thick, it also makes it easier to peel off when you want to change.

I must have done it 2 years ago, and it is still looking good even after a tire change.

·
Living The Dream
3,806 Posts
plasti dip is awesome....im dipping my car soon...only suggestions i have for you are no spray cans...make sure you have enough coats(that way peeling it off is easy) and do not let gas drip onto the paint when you're putting gas it will ruin whatever the gas touches

plasti dip is very durable and if done correctly looks super clean

1 - 11 of 11 Posts