Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
r6s
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, an 18-Wheeler pulled out in front of me! I was able to slow down substantially, but he basically blocked the whole road, as he was turning across my lane, and there were cars waiting behind him, so nowhere to go.

I got off pretty easy considering the vehicle I was up against! I was wearing my gear (jacket, gloves, helmet, and boots) unfortunately my leg appears to have hit the trailer/tire as I slid under it... I dropped the bike right before impact. So my shin is pretty skinned up, and my knee and shin are turning all shades of black and blue.... thankfully I'll be OK...

The same cannot be said for the bike, as it has a significant frame gouge, and probably got a pretty good impact on the frame as the area with the gouge sits about an inch or more behind the fairing there... also gouged my right fork, stock can (which slammed into and scuffed the swing arm), clip-on, brake lever, front wheel, bent disc (on the other side of the wheel) and tore apart most of the front plastics/front end... currently awaiting the insurance adjuster.

The one nice thing that happened out of this, is that the Safety organizer of the trucking company called me up, and was very sorry that it all happened, and understands a bit as both he and the owner of the company ride... They felt really bad that this happened to me. I don't know as most companies would have the curtesy to do that, but it means a lot to me that they did!

Attachments

·
Stunt Rider
7,982 Posts
The bike can be fixed. Glad you're okay.

·
Weeeeeeeeeeeee
1,667 Posts
is he paying for it? if not an apology ain't worth anything.

·
r6s
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Ridick, and yes, Xtina, he said he wanted to make it right, including coving damages/replacement.

·
Do you even lean bro?
164 Posts
The upside is the trucking company has 1-3 million in coverage.

Glad you are ok. The plastic and metal are worth nothing without the rider.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Glad you are ok.
time to get some Knee/shin Guards to wear under you jeans. If you think about it, your knees will always take some impact and we tend to not protect this area as we should. I have been wearing knee guards when i wear jeans for YEARS now.
I wear Thor Quadrant Knee guards. BEST thing for under jeans!! internal knee protection so the knee portion is not HUGE like normal MX knee/shin guards. Goes unoticed, I had been wearing them for a few years before anybody even knew i was wearing them...and even then its because I had to point them out while having the same "protect your knees" conversation with somebody else who had recently had a minor accident.

·
This Side Up Stupid
16 Posts
Your insurance will probably deem it "totaled". Hopefully they let you keep it. Take the money you get and buy a new one. Either fix up or part out your damaged bike. Don't keep riding it. It will never be the same in "your head" after a crash like that.

Start fresh! Oh and glad your ok bud.

·
Registered
3,004 Posts
The trucker (professional driver) wouldn't cause a wreck on purpose which means s/he didn't see you.

I always try to stay in the far left or far right lanes where I can better control who sees me. I do my best to minimize the time I spend inside blind spots, and minimize time spent beside vehicles, and passing vehicles.

Closely observe the driver's *subtle* lane behavior on approach from behind. If the driver shifts toward my line will wait and give them opportunity to safely lane change. (most may abort, observe for ten seconds or so, then lane change) If they're a prior observed rapid lane changer (dangerous) will usually back off.

If I notice the driver is distracted I do not want them behind me.

If I'm in the far left lane (the usual location) I'll straddle the right line with both headlamps on. In the far right lane, lane position may shift depending on whether there's traffic merging onto the roadway ahead. The idea is to be as visible as possible which means shifting closer to their mirror. Same applies for left-hand road merges.

If this is a roadway with crossing traffic, that is, folks making left hand turns from the on-coming lane, my lane position will shift toward their line-of-sight. I may also have to increase following distance from the vehicle ahead of me to better facilitate visibility.

The middle lane can be more complicated but for situations where there's a bias toward people shifting into "my" lane, will be more likely to be shifted toward their mirror.

Vehicles do tend to have a blind spot directly behind their bumper so you'll want to take that into account.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. We ALL learn from them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts