Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

341 - 360 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is a great article. Alot of good info for new guys and girls (like me) I am new to street bikes but I did grow up ridding and racing dirt bikes. I just went out and bought my self a 2001 r6 only because it was 500$ and I wanted a project to build and work on. I rebuilt the carb and took it on a quick ride around the block to see how it was running And this bike has more power then any new ridder needs. Dirt bike riding is a great way to learn the basics on a bike but in no means makes u ready for a 600. Not saying u can't learn on one like this post does but I wouldnt recommend it I will more then likely be buying myself a ninja 250 to ride and learn on while I rebuild my r6. As far as gear is concerned DONT RIDE WITH OUT IT. Pants to. If it wasn't for my ridding gear on dirt bikes I wouldn't have the bottom of my left leg and I would more then likely have brain damage and a lot of scaring. And that is on dirt would be 10 times worse on the pavement at higher speeds. Tha is for this post.

·
Registered
19 Posts
You know... I'd like to read the post.. but I don't have enough comments yet to even view the picture... :thumbdown

·
All I say is 16,500.
48 Posts
Oh I feel so horrible right now. I'm that moron that added a 600 to my 390 starter bike after only five weeks. Guess I will switch back and forth more often and make sure to be extra conservative on the 600, specially at higher speeds. But it's so darn addictive, my single pot thing vs. 16.5 red line, how can that stand a chance???

·
All I say is 16,500.
48 Posts
Keep running it 16.5, it won't last long anyway.
Really? I mean of course redlining is not the aim but below 8k the engine doesn't really reveal it's true nature anyway. So I feel it's mist comfortable in the 11-15k range. Run it there much and risk to ruin the bike real fast, is that what you are saying? Or are you just warning to constantly run it at 16.5 which of course I would understand. Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Keep in mind that race engines are frequently rebuilt for a reason. Though they're engineered to handle 16k plus a percentage of safety margin, unnecessarily high RPMs for the given conditions, drastically shorten lifespan of the components. At 16,500 RPM your piston moves up and down 275 times in a single second. That means your piston move up then down in just 0.0036 second. The post led me to assume that you're operating highway/street vs track. If you're actually on the track then never mind.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Really? I mean of course redlining is not the aim but below 8k the engine doesn't really reveal it's true nature anyway. So I feel it's mist comfortable in the 11-15k range. Run it there much and risk to ruin the bike real fast, is that what you are saying? Or are you just warning to constantly run it at 16.5 which of course I would understand. Thanks for the clarification.

Hope not, redline mine all the time haha.... 18k and still sweet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
SSSLLUUUG!
55 Posts
Oh I feel so horrible right now. I'm that moron that added a 600 to my 390 starter bike after only five weeks. Guess I will switch back and forth more often and make sure to be extra conservative on the 600, specially at higher speeds. But it's so darn addictive, my single pot thing vs. 16.5 red line, how can that stand a chance???
I don't blame you! I had a 2016 390 duke for 2 months before I traded it in for a Yamaha! I couldn't stand that bike, runs so hot, lean, rough and just crappy for a brand new bike. I got a R3 ( infinitely better than the Keep The Money) now but when my wife gets her endorsement she'll get it and I'll be getting the new R6.

341 - 360 of 377 Posts