Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know these are questions that I could just call the local track for but im going to ask them anyways just so I can be prepaired for when I do go.

I live in Oceanside Ca and have always wanted to go to the track. I have been riding for four years now and really want the experience of a track where I can use my bike for what it was made for.

What kind of riding gear do I need?

What do I need to do to my bike to prep for the track?

What kind of costs are involved i.e. insurance entry fee's, and track time.

Thank you in advance. Gotta be able to justify it with the wife.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
For the most part, most track day schools "SHOULD" be the same.

Down here in Texas, you need helmet, suit (1pc or 2pc), boots, and over the wrist gloves.

For the bike, you need to tape up your head lights, brake lights, turn signals and basically any piece of glass on your bike. You can tape up your mirror or remove them, removing them is easier, imo.

Costs are usually just a one time fee for that day but I know some track day schools charge a membership fee of some sort. Not to mention you have to account for extra costs such as drinks, snacks, gas, track day supplies, etc.

Hope this helps :cheers

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
^ Pretty much nailed it.

Track day fees can range from $125 - $250 depending on the track and the organization. They're usually around $150 though. Some tracks (Willow, Chuckwalla) will also have an additional entrance fee of around $10.

SoCal Trackdays requires you to safety wire your drain plug - but they run open days (no groups) and are not suitable for doing your first track day.

Beyond what babymilo36 said, you'll need to make sure your tires and brake pads are in good shape and you're not leaking any fluids.

Back protector is highly recommended, but not required.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
^ Pretty much nailed it.

Track day fees can range from $125 - $250 depending on the track and the organization. They're usually around $150 though. Some tracks (Willow, Chuckwalla) will also have an additional entrance fee of around $10.

SoCal Trackdays requires you to safety wire your drain plug - but they run open days (no groups) and are not suitable for doing your first track day.

Beyond what babymilo36 said, you'll need to make sure your tires and brake pads are in good shape and you're not leaking any fluids.

Back protector is highly recommended, but not required.
Yep, thanks for the add-on. Good point on the back protector as well. I run one but forgot to mention it.

Before the track day starts, your bike will be inspected so that's the reason why Fallis said to check your tires, brakes, oil leaks. Also check your chain and if your throttle snaps back right away or not.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its a brand new bike so im pretty sure leaks are not an issue. As for riding gear is that full leathers i was just looking around and riding suits are expensive. The costs seem fairly reasonable deffinately feel like it will be worth the money and time. Kinda nervous about going up there and being the only new guy. I know this maybe a dumb question is there any kind of track etiquett. Im a horrible speller.

Thanks for the quick responses.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Yup - you need full leathers. Either a 1 piece or 2 piece suit. If it's 2 piece, the zipper between the pants and jacket needs to go all the way around. If you're on a budget, deals can be found. You don't need to spend $1500 on a suit. If you happen to be size 42, I've got a 2-piece I need to get rid of that I keep forgetting to put in the for-sale section.

You won't be the only new guy there. There's always a bunch of first-timers at any track day. Just about every track day organization has some form of a new rider school, where they'll walk you through all the procedural stuff and help get you comfortable on the track. There's rules for how you get on and off the track, what to do if someone crashes, how to pass safely, etc. It's all pretty simple though, and there's really not much to learn / remember. There's really nothing to be nervous about - once you show up you'll realize everyone will be more than happy to help you out in whatever way possible.

We've got plenty of SoCal track addicts on here, so it ought to be pretty easy to find someone to pit with that can help you out - myself included. :) Post up when you get signed up for your first day.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
Yup - you need full leathers. Either a 1 piece or 2 piece suit. If it's 2 piece, the zipper between the pants and jacket needs to go all the way around. If you're on a budget, deals can be found. You don't need to spend $1500 on a suit. If you happen to be size 42, I've got a 2-piece I need to get rid of that I keep forgetting to put in the for-sale section.

You won't be the only new guy there. There's always a bunch of first-timers at any track day. Just about every track day organization has some form of a new rider school, where they'll walk you through all the procedural stuff and help get you comfortable on the track. There's rules for how you get on and off the track, what to do if someone crashes, how to pass safely, etc. It's all pretty simple though, and there's really not much to learn / remember. There's really nothing to be nervous about - once you show up you'll realize everyone will be more than happy to help you out in whatever way possible.

We've got plenty of SoCal track addicts on here, so it ought to be pretty easy to find someone to pit with that can help you out - myself included. :) Post up when you get signed up for your first day.
Right, contact our site sponsors for deals on suits. Down here, first time riders get free suit rental so you can look into it if they have a similar deal.

Don't worry about being the "new guy". Just ride humble and safe and you'll be just fine. You're out there to have fun, especially on your first track day, so don't worry about being a hazard to others. It's only when you try to drag knee and break track records that you tend to be a hazard to others.

When you finalize your first track day, let us know and I'm sure a bunch of us (excluding me since I'm far away :laugh) will be happy to meet you, just as Fallis said.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow awsome I will deff post as soon as I can. Im in Yuma for 3 to 4 more weeks then it will probably be July or Aug before I can go but my goal is to get at least one or two track days in this summer. Just depends on the new job im moving to in june.

I think my first time I will rent a suit.

Do yall have any good links to register track days. I found Track Daz website and read everything I could but they are broken into classes which I was kind of confused about. Is A the begginers class.

·
Premium Member
35,477 Posts
Wow awsome I will deff post as soon as I can. Im in Yuma for 3 to 4 more weeks then it will probably be July or Aug before I can go but my goal is to get at least one or two track days in this summer. Just depends on the new job im moving to in june.

Do yall have any good links to register track days. I found Track Daz website and read everything I could but they are broken into classes which I was kind of confused about. Is A the begginers class.
Fallis or any other Cali riders will have to chime in for which school to ride with. I'll ask DTcrew4 to chime in too since he goes to a lot of track days.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts

www.ti2tt.com
www.fastrackriders.com
www.motoyard.com
www.trackdaz.com
www.tracktactics.com (They focus on beginners, and do events all over the place, so there's very few SoCal dates for them)
www.trackxperience.com
www.socaltrackdays.com (Only do open days, no groups, not recommended for your first outing)

I think that's all the SoCal track day orgs.

I think everyone except Fastrack does A/B/C groups, where A is expert, B is intermediate, and C is beginner. Fastrack does 1 / 2 / 3, where 1 is beginner. Fastrack has a really extensive beginner school, but they're a lot more expensive because it's at Fontana. Which ever group you sign up with, you should do the new rider school.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Fallis this is all great info. Yall are making me want to go register right now.

·
Meh
9,250 Posts
Do it! I put it off for the longest time because I was scared of working out all the details (like 6 fcuking years!). Just go pick a date a few months out and sign-up, and it'll force you to deal with all the stuff you're worrying about, and in the process you'll realize it's not all that complicated. :)

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Lol im going to make myself go this summer its too bad you cant just call the track and register for the day that works for you.

And the military seems to send you to some stupid training but dont tell you untill the day before.

·
TrackDaz Dude
359 Posts
Congrats on the 2012 R6! We've got one just like yours in our Yamaha fleet.

If you're in Oceanside, Chuckwalla is probably your best bet. Our next event is SOLD OUT already, and the one after that isn't for beginners.. But other than that, most of our events have a very strong program for new riders. We've been doing the trackday thing for over a decade, and are in the 5th year of working with Yamaha.

You'll need a full (1 or 2 pc that zips together) leather suit (aerostitch is acceptable), over the ankle boots, over the wrist gloves, and an uncrashed helmet.

Trackday prep is pretty minimal. Tape the lights (unplug the head/tail lights so they don't burn your tape), remove the mirrors, tape over the speedo and wheel weights. Make sure your bike has good tires on it. There's always a Pirelli guy at our events, so even tires are no problem.

Our events run from $140-275 depending on which track, what day, etc.. Chuckwalla CVMA Friday events are $140. We've also got Buttonwillow for $160 later in the year. Other costs would be gate fee's (typically $10), Tires, Photographer stuff, food at the snack bar, etc.. Also if you camp, there likely will be fee's.

Sounds like you're in the military too.. Several of our staff'ers are USMC. We offer active duty discounts at nearly every event. Maybe we'll see you out at some point.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Trackdaz is really fun to go with, good group of guys. Dustin is legit. Trackxperience and ti2tt are also great. Trackxperience has a new rider school that helps introduce you to track riding at no cost at all. I did my first trackday with them and my new racer school with trackdaz and company.

·
Lechon is da Bizness
279 Posts
I did my 1st trackday through Fastrack Riders at Fontana Auto Club. The track is badass. There are garages/shade, power, lots of black top and only about an hour out from you. I also did the new riders school with them. The first half of the day alternated between classroom sessions and riding sessions. Then later on, you ride with your groups as scheduled. All the instructors seemed pretty cool and my instructor that followed me on the track gave me a bunch of tips and suggestions on particular turns. Only thing is it's more on the pricey side.

I also heard Chuckwalla is a lot of fun. I haven't hit that track up yet but would like to sometime this year.

Lastly, transportation of your bike should be considered if you don't own a truck (like myself). There's a couple of groups here in San Diego that travel to trackdays together and share a trailer. Also don't forget a folding chair and to pack food/drinks.

·
Needs more stars
2,937 Posts
www.ti2tt.com
www.fastrackriders.com
www.motoyard.com
www.trackdaz.com
www.tracktactics.com (They focus on beginners, and do events all over the place, so there's very few SoCal dates for them)
www.trackxperience.com
www.socaltrackdays.com (Only do open days, no groups, not recommended for your first outing)

I think that's all the SoCal track day orgs.

I think everyone except Fastrack does A/B/C groups, where A is expert, B is intermediate, and C is beginner. Fastrack does 1 / 2 / 3, where 1 is beginner. Fastrack has a really extensive beginner school, but they're a lot more expensive because it's at Fontana. Which ever group you sign up with, you should do the new rider school.
Don't forget http://www.letsridetrackdays.com/!!! :YEA

I will send out one warning for summer days. My first track day was at Streets of Willow (with TrackDaz) at the end of June. It was SOOOOOOO HOT!!! :thumbdown I was there for two days. Day one was right under 100* and day two was right over 100*. The heat can really zap your energy. Not to scare you away just wanted to make sure you knew that most of the tracks around here are in the desert.

For me, track season is Feb-May...maybe beginning of June and end of Sept-Nov. There are many enjoyable days in the other months but the chances are high that it will be rainy/freezing or HOT!

BTW - as far as being "the new guy" - the last day I did they asked whose first time it was and it seemed like just about half of the C/beginner group raised their hand. The nice thing about not having mirrors is you have no one to worry about but yourself! :YEA

·
Registered
96 Posts
I sent ya a PM. Im in San Diego and will be doing Pahrump on April 28th and 29th, FYI there is still room!! :)

Some track days have no sessions, meaning experts ride with news, etc.. Some trackdays have groups, C being newbs, B being middle, A being badass

Also for trackdays u need to either tape or discount all your lighting stuff

A back protector is also strongly recomennded. Each company that organizes the track days has seperate requirements. With a 2012 u dont have much to worry about

Another thing to check is insurance coverage. Some companies cover ya if you wad up your shit at the track, some dont. For me, this is the main reason i dont take my 2011 busa! :D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts