Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I finally got my undertail installed. I have a lil gap between my rear seat and the uppertail (approx 1/4") Can someone with a stock set-up measure and see what there gap is.(with rear seat installed)

The reason I am asking is because I want to install a solo seat cowl as well and from what I see on stock bikes, they seem to fit tight.(no gap or very little) I want to know if I am going to have to try and make that gap smaller ,so the solo seat looks flush.

If anyone can help me out that would be cool...
Pics are always good.

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
I think that a 1/4" is about right for the gap between the stock passenger seat and the upper tail fairing....

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
drhodes said:
I think that a 1/4" is about right for the gap between the stock passenger seat and the upper tail fairing....
Sounds right I have an '04 and the stock seat leaves an ugly gap but the Yamaha cowl fits really good, very small gap. The only time I have the seat on is when my GF goes for a ride.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Anyone have any pics of the solo cover? I never seem to have any passengers. I want to see what they look like on the bike before I fork over the cash for one.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What solo seats do you guys have...Are they yamaha, targa?

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
Smegma said:
Anyone have any pics of the solo cover? I never seem to have any passengers. I want to see what they look like on the bike before I fork over the cash for one.
looks like the yamaha one:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is there a preference either way?? Yamaha orr Targa??? Anyone like to comment on that?

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
ninja316 said:
Yoda, has an extra seat. It might still have some tire tread on it. :cuss :moon
hahahaha....yeah, there are about 2-3 small scratches, and a slight tear on the bottom side where the vinyl wraps around...its hardly noticible.....

Why? is someone wanting a new seat? I will try to post a pic later :)

·
Registered
963 Posts
R6KIDD said:
Is there a preference either way?? Yamaha orr Targa??? Anyone like to comment on that?
Yeah, the Yamaha one has a black cushion on it that you can't remove. The targa comes with an optional sticky black pad that you don't have to put on if you don't want to (I eventually put it on because it looks more like a race bike - that and the removal of my passengar foot pegs). Just look at the Yamaha one from overhead and you'll know what I mean. The targa one is just one big piece over the seat. I did a product review of the targa in the product review section.

A lot of people I talked to also said the color match on the Yamaha isn't good. I haven't see the blue one, but I did see the silver one and the color match isn't perfect. The targa one is pretty damn good, though.

Oh yeah, if you get the targa one, you won't be able to hang your helmet off your bike. I'm not sure of the Yamaha one, but I'm sure Yamaha would still allow you to do it.

·
Registered
7,662 Posts
Yamaha can't match their own paint?? LOL that is almost comical...sad, but funny! LOL

·
Registered
376 Posts
Nope i've got a yamaha seat cowl......and it doesn't have any hooks or anything for the helmet......what i do is jsut take the little rubber band things.....loop my helmet strap through it and pop the cowl on over that...it works jsut fine for me.

·
Registered
963 Posts
04R6Crashdummie said:
Nope i've got a yamaha seat cowl......and it doesn't have any hooks or anything for the helmet......what i do is jsut take the little rubber band things.....loop my helmet strap through it and pop the cowl on over that...it works jsut fine for me.
Does it stretch out the rubber loop at all? That's gotta be a lot of weight for it to hold it all?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I never used that helmet holder anyway...so if I loose it, it makes no difference to me.. I want to get one after xmas, so I'll have to do a lil more research on it,....Color match is important.

The only down fall with the targa, is that I will have a hard time to buy it in Canada..I may have to buy direct from targa..

·
Registered
963 Posts
Went to the International Motorcycle Show yesterday, and they had the rear cowlings on some of the R6's. I saw one for the blue and one for the red R6, and the factory Yamaha rear cowling does NOT match the color. For some retarded reason it's either a shade darker or lighter than the rest of the goddamn bike. I don't understand that shit -- it's Factory for chrissakes. But I figure they outsourced the making of the rear cowling from some company.

Targa's color match is a lot better than the Yamaha one. I'll attest to that since I've seen both now on a bunch of different bikes.

I ordered mine from Targa, and I got it the next day (because they're located in the neighborhood next to mine). They got good customer service, so I don't think they'll have a problem shipping it to Canada.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats good to know...thanks for the reply...now I will prolly be leaning toward targa, not yamaha

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ed said:
Went to the International Motorcycle Show yesterday, and they had the rear cowlings on some of the R6's. I saw one for the blue and one for the red R6, and the factory Yamaha rear cowling does NOT match the color. For some retarded reason it's either a shade darker or lighter than the rest of the goddamn bike. I don't understand that shit -- it's Factory for chrissakes. But I figure they outsourced the making of the rear cowling from some company.
I can attest to that as well, I just got my rear seat cowl in, for the 2004 silver r6. It is a good shade lighter than the rest of the bike. Kinda pissed me off. I heard other people talk about the factory yamaha cowls not matching perfectly, but I thought that they were just being anal about the match. Its pretty obvious that its a different shade, as soon as it is put on. If you look at it from certain angles it looks like a match, but other than that it is off. Yamaha dropped the ball on the cowls...

·
Registered
963 Posts
Yeah, I'm glad I got a look at a Yamaha cowl and a Targa one before I bought mine. The targa one is good to go.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Is it only the silver that doesn't match the OEM color for the OEM Cowl? That would suck, i have a silver. We should get together and write them a letter or notice.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts