Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so yesterday was fine, rode the bike to work, smooth as can be.

but today was like WHAT THE HELL! :cuss
here's the story..
i go on my lunch break, and since i havee no supervisor, i cruised to my gf's school. the ride was normal, i hang out for about 30 min, and say my goodbyes then i crank her up (the bike, not my gf) or so i was trying to crank it.. but no go. crank crank, choke, still nada.. it tried to turn until m my battery was dying, so pulled the charger out from under the seat and went in the school to let it charge (at this point i was done with work for the day. my 6 is more important )
anyways, after the charge she fires up, i assumed it was all good.
assuming made me an ass.. i get about 3 miles and im at a stop sign, put her in 1st, clutch in and all, she dies. hunch my shoulders and fire her up again, i start moving in 1st and chunka chunka chunka it sputters to a stop...long story short anytime i let go of the throttle at a stop or even shifted to first and got to slow it cut off on me. and took many tries at starting the engine again...

so guys,, what the hell!, any clues? i got a 2000 with 12k miles

help :poke

·
looking for more curves
1,883 Posts
yeah, sounds like something might be clogged or something in that nature... I've seen a clogged air filter do that... then again we were at 9,200+ feet and the guy had drove through a dust storm in the upper Mid plains....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well, i gave the battery a good charge, changed the plugs, and cleaned the filter. im gonna take it to the shop to check it out. but asd of now, it runs great..

·
Registered
26 Posts
I suspect the other posts about carburation problems may be correct but don't rule out a bad battery or charging system.

I had a similar problem with my GSXR600 and it was carburated. My battery started to die on me and the bike would cough / sputter under throttle. After a little while I noticed the cluster flutter at stop signs. I changed out the battery and the bike was fine afterward. Battery is needed to provide spark to the ignition and run the electronics even if we are carbed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
update number 2. took the puppy to the shop.. and indeeed the carbs had a lil trouble. gonna cost me a note to fix, so its all good

·
Registered
34 Posts
You need to Read the Post, Need to Rally on this shut off issue, it might give you some insight. There are alot of bikes having similar issues

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i do need to read that. after i got my bike outta the shop it ran like a champ.. for like 2 days!
now it wont shift to second.. it feels like it shifts, but its in neu, the light blinks off and on, if i get lucky i can get it in gear, 3,4 and 5 went ok. but second was a bitch, all i got was revs.

what the hell is wrong with this machine. clutch, shifter, gearbox. huh, huh, huh????
and can i fix it myself, cuz i really dont like spending money :cuss

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought a Katana 1100 a while back and it ran like Sh*t for a month and then i changed the battery and all is good. A bad battery can drain the juice you need to keep good spark. Then i bought my 00' r6 and haven't rode the katana since go figure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
the guys on r6messagenet sy its the detent spring and that its an easy fix. so hopefully theyre right

1 - 13 of 13 Posts