Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you guys explain why radial mount brakes and inverted forks are better than say how its done on the '04. I missed the memo.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
z31maniac said:
Would you guys explain why radial mount brakes and inverted forks are better than say how its done on the '04. I missed the memo.
Ahem, brakes:

With conventional calipers, the interface between the caliper and the fork leg forms a plane perpendicular to the axle. Braking force will cause slippage until the mounting bolts physically limit the movement of the caliper.

With radial mount calipers, the mating surfaces (theoretically) form 2 planes that intersect concurrent to the centerline of the axle. This causes all braking force to act directly on fork leg without generating any shear forces at the interface.

Overall, the braking is smoother.

Forks:

The inverted (upside/down) fork is a more rigid construction owing to the following factors: The sliding and fixed tubes have more (longer) overlap than in a conventional fork. The tube diameter is larger at the point of highest stress, namely the lower fork bridge, similarly, the connection to the bridges are more rigid simply because they are larger.

The disadvantages are:
Its unsprung weight is higher than on a conventional fork. This is because the unsprung part is steel as opposed to alloy/aluminium, also, extra brake fittings must be added to the unsprung parts to support the brake calipers, this function is provided by the fork tubes on a conventional fork.

Overall, unless you are a pro, you will not know the difference...but it does look trick!

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I personally like the conventail forks a lot more (look wise), and i like the radial caliper more IMO

·
Knee Draggin Poor Boy
1,238 Posts
Good explination but let me read it five more times than i'll understand it.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that one. It seems like USD forks would also wear the seals out faster and get more stuff in the oil because the sliding part is more exposed and closer to stuff coming up from the road.

But then again I really have no idea what I'm talking about.

·
Bacon is extra!
494 Posts
It's way easier to clean the exposed area that way though.

·
Banned
4,021 Posts
i thought USD forks reduced weight?

and i also thought the radial mount forks had more to do with the c=fact they were mounted to where the bolts are mounted on a radius thats concurent with the brake rotor. but i may not know a dam thing

·
Registered
586 Posts
loki1313 said:
i thought USD forks reduced weight?

and i also thought the radial mount forks had more to do with the c=fact they were mounted to where the bolts are mounted on a radius thats concurent with the brake rotor. but i may not know a dam thing
they reduce "unsprung" weight. IOW less weight attached to the wheel. As for the radial mounted brakes, i don't know a damn thing either

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Thanks for that one. It seems like USD forks would also wear the seals out faster and get more stuff in the oil because the sliding part is more exposed and closer to stuff coming up from the road
the bikes with inverted forks (r1s and the new 05 r6s have a more dramatic front fender that has "wings" that shield the exposed part of the fork tubes. while it cannot possibly protect it from everything, it should help keep the seals in tact.

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
r6boater said:
NoLegs said:
r6boater said:
they reduce "unsprung" weight
No, that's wrong, the unsprung weight is higher on inverted forks.
NO, Read this

http://www.kzrider.com/fork.shtml

Second paragraph under the heading "telescoping forks"
That website is wrong and I explained why in my original post. Believe what you want, it doesn't really matter to me, it's not like I'm going to come to your house with a pair of forks and a liberty scale and SHOW you the difference.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I don't need you come to my house, but i would like to see your source. I've found nothing to the contrary of what i have stated or the link showed. IF you have this info it would be greatly appreciated. I wasn't trying to start a war, but if you say i'm wrong (website too), I'd like to see something to support this. :cheers

·
IQ = Post Count
1,734 Posts
r6boater said:
I don't need you come to my house, but i would like to see your source. I've found nothing to the contrary of what i have stated or the link showed. IF you have this info it would be greatly appreciated. I wasn't trying to start a war, but if you say i'm wrong (website too), I'd like to see something to support this. :cheers
Let's just agree to disagree and fugetaboutit. :cheers

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yeah what he said, like the main reson to do the 520 conversion. The chain and sprockets are a hell of a lot lighter. So there is less weight to move, less dragging the motor. The thing is, for 99% of people buying and riding it the USD forks wont feel different they'll just look different.

·
Registered
586 Posts
loki1313 said:
ok so lets work this out, what is unsprung weight?

im not completely sure
What Nolegs said is right about what unsprung is. Our disagreement is whether or not the unsprung weight is reduced w/USD forks. But think of the wheel, axle, brakes, lower forks tubes, tire etc. These are all "unsprung". Try grabbing your front brake lever and pushing down on the bars; everything that Didn't move down and up is unsprung. Anything that is not supported by the "springyness" of the forks is unsprung. Did that help explain it?
:?:
CreePer wrote:
Yeah what he said, like the main reson to do the 520 conversion. The chain and sprockets are a hell of a lot lighter. So there is less weight to move, less dragging the motor. The thing is, for 99% of people buying and riding it the USD forks wont feel different they'll just look different.

Actually the main reason to do a 520 conversion is to reduced the "Reciprocating Weight". Different principles.Same reason though. Make our bikes even more badass! :cheers You're right about the 99%of people thing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts