Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I work in downtown San Francisco, and my bike's stolen today while I was at work. I usually ride to a train station and take a train, but I had to leave early to go to somewhere else so I thought it would be easier to take the bike instead. I parked it on the street next to my office building at 10:30am. When I left at around 4pm and walked to the parking place, my bike's already gone. I still can't believe this happened... it's a busy street with lots of people walking around and busy traffic.

I know it's a dumb question, but does anyone know what's the chance of someone getting a stolen bike back? Even if the bike's not found anymore and Geico writes me a check, I am sure I'll lose a lot of money since the bike has quite a few upgrades. But then who knows what's happening to the bike while it's gone...

Tang

·
m3lover2
10,527 Posts
Are you on BARF?

Bay are has been hit HARD with theft lately. Chances are you will not see the bike. Check with insurance, my policy covered aftermarket parts up to $3500.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm not on BARF.

My insurance is not going to cover aftermarket parts because I don't have it in the policy. I didn't expect to have any and forgot to update policy after having those. I think I'd be lucky if I get half of what I spent...

When I filed the police report, they checked if the bike's towed but it wasn't.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
This is why we can't have nice things... Wow man, that sucks.

·
Formerly UnknownResource
490 Posts
Sucks to hear man. Any outdoor cameras at your work place or anywhere close by that might have your bike in view?

sent while on the move

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
This is why I went and bought an alarm for my bike immediately upon purchase and I have a lock for it. I keep hearing about bikes being stolen on here and it sucks. I couldn't imagine getting my bike stolen. I would do what Drizzy said and walk around to different businesses near by and see if they have cameras that may have picked up something. I did that for an accident in a parking lot and the lady said it was my fault and I subpoena the video of the shop and I won because of it. Hope it works out for you at least with the insurance. Good luck!

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
This is why I went and bought an alarm for my bike immediately upon purchase and I have a lock for it. I keep hearing about bikes being stolen on here and it sucks. I couldn't imagine getting my bike stolen. I would do what Drizzy said and walk around to different businesses near by and see if they have cameras that may have picked up something. I did that for an accident in a parking lot and the lady said it was my fault and I subpoena the video of the shop and I won because of it. Hope it works out for you at least with the insurance. Good luck!
If you think that will keep it from being stolen, you're very much mistaken.

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
Well its a better deterrent then not having it. At least then someone may notice that something doesn't look right seeing someone trying to haul it away and may speak up. I know it can still get stolen but still gives me more of a peace of mind.

·
iRun
33,317 Posts
Well its a better deterrent then not having it. At least then someone may notice that something doesn't look right seeing someone trying to haul it away and may speak up. I know it can still get stolen but still gives me more of a peace of mind.
I'm not sure if you know this, but there's no "hauling it away" anymore... It's a van driving by, stopping, two guys hopping out, picking your bike up and tossing it in the back of then van, then driving away. It takes less than a minute. Your alarms are useless. Get theft insurance and be done with it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The SFPD called me this morning and told me they found my bike just 5 blocks away from where it was stolen. After waiting for 2 hours to get the police release, I got a chance to take a look at the bike.

From what I can tell, the front brake fluid reservoir sock, the CRG bar-end mirror on the right hand side, and the ignition were gone. The crown's scratched, and some wires were cut. They also managed to lift up the front of the seat, but nothing seemed to be taken away.

Since I don't know how to start the bike, I don't know if there's anything else that's wrong or how many miles were logged. Now I have to wait for the adjustor to go see the bike.

·
Official Noob Greeter
55,856 Posts
Lucky. I guess. Maybe.

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I personally wouldn't want it back.

Curious how this works with insurance. Do they make you take it back or just pay you for it?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't know how this works with insurance yet. They will send someone to take a look at the bike, but I have no idea how they are going to assess the condition of the bike. The police told me the bike would start, but I wonder if the insurance adjustor will attempt to start the bike without the ignition.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts