Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding into work this morning and when i downshifted at a light something happened that changed the sound of my exhaust and changed the throttle response. I have a two brothers exhaust and it sounds pretty mean most of the time but this morning after downshifting and bginning to accelerate it started sound like a super moto of a 4 stroke dirt bike. Also I lost the snappiness on the throttle. Felt more like my old ninja 250. Almost like a 2 cyl. Does anyone have thoughts on what could have happened before i start tearing into things i shouldnt? Thanks in advance.

·
sportbike noob
624 Posts
With the power off hold both the reset and select buttons down. turn the key on but still hold them down. take 8-10seconds. Youll see diag come up on the screen. release them and hold them down again and youll see the code screen come up

·
pin it to win it
8,052 Posts
Make sure your exhaust didn't crack in half

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With the power off hold both the reset and select buttons down. turn the key on but still hold them down. take 8-10seconds. Youll see diag come up on the screen. release them and hold them down again and youll see the code screen come up
Well thats nifty! I got a few codes I'll list them here but if anyone has link to what they mean please share!

1: 18
2:93
3: 0
5: 75
6: 95
7: 0
8 : 0.6(wtf?)
The rest were all zeros.

·
"The Dude abides .. "
4,695 Posts
did you downshift from a crazy high rpm? as in downshift too many times and the revs went way high? if you lost a lot of power, and the bike sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders... worst case you bent some valves as they float if you the engine sees 18,000+ RPM. Again, this is worst case.

·
Registered
146 Posts
check coils. if it happens at idle, wait for bike to cool then startup and spray header pipes w/ water n see which one isnt firing. if you need to confirm problem can switch the coil to another plug and retest.

or if you have a super accurate ohmmeter can just test the coils. see this thread:

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233938&page=2

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did you downshift from a crazy high rpm? as in downshift too many times and the revs went way high? if you lost a lot of power, and the bike sounds like it's running on 2 cylinders... worst case you bent some valves as they float if you the engine sees 18,000+ RPM. Again, this is worst case.
I didnt downshift til I was under 30 mph (like i always try to do) and even at that speed in 1st the rpms wouldnt be that high.

check coils. if it happens at idle, wait for bike to cool then startup and spray header pipes w/ water n see which one isnt firing. if you need to confirm problem can switch the coil to another plug and retest.
The popping kind of dirtbike sound is much less noticeable at idle or low speed. I will test the header pipes to see if im missing on one. Thanks.

The bike has been sitting all day while at work so maybe the problem wont be there tonight. Does anyone have a good resource to the meanings of the codes?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok guys. I ran diagnostics and I got not one single code above 10. (YAY BIKE WAS NEVER LAID OVER!) I still don't know whats causing the strange noise and power loss but I gather that now its gotta be something mechanical thats not monitored by the CPU. If I cant put a thumb on it tomorrow its off to the shop. :( I just wanna ride! HELP!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Check the coils. Two of mine went bad around 15-20k. The bike still ran but sounded funny and was lacking in power. Your description sounds very similar to what happened to me. When it happened, the dealership said it was a common problem on the 2005 (for what it's worth).

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

or if you have a super accurate ohmmeter can just test the coils. see this thread:

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233938&page=2

·
Registered
146 Posts
Under airbox and air filter, remove plastic base panel, the coils are the things that are like spark plug boots, under the AIS tubing. they are a b*tch to get to, you should first remove the wire-plugs from the coil, then wiggle em back n forth n tryn pull em out. If they havent been replaced before, sometimes you will have to do this for several frustrating minutes to get them out.You only need to replace the bad one, they usually go out independently of eachother. Make sure when replacing you push the coil back down really hard til it clicks into place.

You can see the ones on the end from the side of the bike if that helps. Others may recommend going thru from the front by removing the radiator but i prefer the top.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I took these pictures when I got the air box and bottom plate off. The spark plug didn't jump out at me (must be buried) and I didn't want to start guessing. Are the wire-plugs the piece in the picture with the orange wires? and coils are under those? Luckily the one acting up is on the end on the riders right so it shouldn't be too bad to get too. If i'm headed in the right direction i'm looking to get it done this week and Ill be sure to post the results. Thanks for the help and I owe you all beer!:cheers

Attachments

·
.. .- -. -... ..- - .-..
502 Posts
I took these pictures when I got the air box and bottom plate off. The spark plug didn't jump out at me (must be buried) and I didn't want to start guessing. Are the wire-plugs the piece in the picture with the orange wires? and coils are under those? Luckily the one acting up is on the end on the riders right so it shouldn't be too bad to get too. If i'm headed in the right direction i'm looking to get it done this week and Ill be sure to post the results. Thanks for the help and I owe you all beer!:cheers
For your spark plug questions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJEzmbmPxJQ

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r6-how-guides/151901-how-change-spark-plugs-06-07-edition.html

·
Registered
146 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey guys. So i apologize for not following up sooner but I got this figured out and everything is peaches now! Just had to do a SP change and it was all good. The bike has 11800 on it and Im relatively sure the plugs that were there had to be originals. They were bad! Anyways good for now and thanks for all the help! Pass this on if you see it come up again!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.