Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Ride hard, ride safe.
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to break in an engine? brand new? I refuse to believe riding it hard is the best way. Should I just ride it like I am out on a daily ride and not get the rpm's TOO high?

thanks!

·
Registered
452 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,431 Posts
Under 8k for first 600 miles

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Some people will say ride it like you stole it from day 1, others will say baby it till 1000 miles. I say that as long as you maintain it properly and change the oil on time, the engine will outlast the bike.

·
Keep it Rubber-Side Down
272 Posts
some people will say ride it like you stole it from day 1, others will say baby it till 1000 miles. I say that as long as you maintain it properly and change the oil on time, the engine will outlast the bike.
^^ +1

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Under 8k for the first 600 miles, change the oil. Still go at least a 1000 before you really hammer on it. No constant RPMs, try and keep the motor varied in RPM, rev (accelerate) up and let it come back down on the motor that sort of thing (helps seat the rings), don't rack up all 600 miles on the highway.

Yamaha actually recommends below 8300 for the first 600 miles, and below 9900 until 1000 miles.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Under 8k for the first 600 miles, change the oil. Still go at least a 1000 before you really hammer on it. No constant RPMs, try and keep the motor varied in RPM, rev (accelerate) up and let it come back down on the motor that sort of thing (helps seat the rings), don't rack up all 600 miles on the highway.

Yamaha actually recommends below 8300 for the first 600 miles, and below 9900 until 1000 miles.
There are people on here and other boards and people i've talked to in real life that brought their bikes straight from the dealership to the track and the motor is fine thousands of miles later.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
There are people on here and other boards and people i've talked to in real life that brought their bikes straight from the dealership to the track and the motor is fine thousands of miles later.
Yeah I know a couple people from machine shops that say the same thing actually, something about taper cut rings, and so and so on. The last rebuild on the big block in my dad's Cougar he asked the machinist about break in period, and the machinist asked how far the track was from the house.

I still couldn't bring myself to do it though, I rode it fairly easily up to 600 miles, then took it out and wound it out once, then rode it "normally" trying to keep it below the 10k rpm, until the 1000 miles. Changed the oil again at the 1000 mile mark too.

·
Go Ahead
2,705 Posts
I break it in the way I intend to ride it everyday....HARD.

Why seat your rings never crossing 8-9K RPM and expect it to last when you finally take it to 16k.

EVERY racing event has this method of breaking in. NHRA builds an engine every run and they run it hard to the max, plus every other racing organization.

-Ant.

·
FEARLESS
312 Posts
I break it in the way I intend to ride it everyday....HARD.

Why seat your rings never crossing 8-9K RPM and expect it to last when you finally take it to 16k.

EVERY racing event has this method of breaking in. NHRA builds an engine every run and they run it hard to the max, plus every other racing organization.

-Ant.
they also rebuild the motors EVERY RACE........ just sayin:secret :poke

1 - 12 of 12 Posts