Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I gave myself 6 months to get a bike and am already starting the process of getting my license but figured I'd get some of your opinions on how I go about it. Lemme know how this sounds:

• Had a dirt bike in HS (4 years ago) so I have a pretty good feel for how to ride/shift/brake/etc (I know the road is different but the concept is very similar, if not the same)
  • Finish reading the CA DMV book for motorcycles and go take my written test to receive my permit
  • About to bite the bullet and register for an MSF course that starts Sept 7 (earliest open spot).
  • Prior to Sept. 7 I will already have my permit and if I can (just to mess around on the street a bit) borrow a friends old scooter since I won't be able to buy a bike until sometime in October most likely and after I have my license
  • Try to get an earlier standby spot in one of the earlier MSF courses to try and get the course done sooner than later. This way all I have to focus on next is getting the bike.

*The MSF course here supplies bikes and helmets, I'd just need to wear my own jacket, jeans, boots, etc.

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
I'm not sure if you need an endorsement to get a bike. The dealership I bought mine from only cared if I had insurance. My insurance company (State Farm) didn't ask to see my driver's license, only asked for the number.

I had my bike for somewhere over a month before I actually got my endorsement.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if you need an endorsement to get a bike. The dealership I bought mine from only cared if I had insurance. My insurance company (State Farm) didn't ask to see my driver's license, only asked for the number.

I had my bike for somewhere over a month before I actually got my endorsement.
I'm not planning on purchasing or will be able to purchase (in general) until the fall anyways but I want to get all the other stuff (permit, license, class, etc) taken care of first.

·
Deep Thinker
927 Posts
I'm not planning on purchasing or will be able to purchase (in general) until the fall anyways but I want to get all the other stuff (permit, license, class, etc) taken care of first.
That's a good way to do it. You might want to start getting good gear, too. I was the only person in my MSF class that showed up in full gear. It was kinda funny, actually.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The only other thing you need to have, other than the bike, is a level head. Sounds like a plan.
I definitely agree with you on that and like to think that I do. Even though I drive a mustang its very rare for me to take it above 90. I've never gotten into an accident with my car and I like to think a lot of it is due to me being an alert driver and aware of my surroundings.

I was a firefighter back in NY for 4 years (volunteer) and responded to some pretty nasty accidents which have been kept as a reminder of the repercussions that can arise when you don't pay attention or make stupid decisions.

·
my R6 ate a bus
1,010 Posts
sounds like a plan, just get the red tape stuff done and in a few months you'll be smiling ear to ear. But the true question is.....

08 or 09??? By october you'll see the new 09's... haha

·
R is for respect!
1,623 Posts
sounds like you are on the right track

·
I ride bitches year round
1,834 Posts
That's a good way to do it. You might want to start getting good gear, too. I was the only person in my MSF class that showed up in full gear. It was kinda funny, actually.
I did that too, I kinda felt like a retard. One of the busa guys sees my bright blue vest and says, "Let me guess! You ride a yamaha!?"

I think getting everything taken care of ahead of time is a great idea. Put that gear on your list and get it before the bike. Good luck and ride safe!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like a plan, just get the red tape stuff done and in a few months you'll be smiling ear to ear. But the true question is.....

08 or 09??? By october you'll see the new 09's... haha
After talking to a friend I MIGHT be able to get a deal on an R6 through one of his friends that works for Yamaha Corporate in the Motorsports division... if that's the case I might just go straight for the '09, lol, but we'll see....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.