Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing spark plugs for the first time soon and have a question...
I've been told i should clean out the hole with compressed air befor putting down the new plugs. I don't have an air gun and have no plans on buying one just for this so is there any other way to do it ? Can i use a vacuum cleaner or is there something down there that shouldn't be sucked up ?

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
you should blow it out before you remove the plug. if you do it with the plugs out the dirt will fall inside the engine.
whoever told you to do it with them out isn't the brightest bulb in the house.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
you should blow it out before you remove the plug. if you do it with the plugs out the dirt will fall inside the engine.
whoever told you to do it with them out isn't the brightest bulb in the house.
but can i suck the dirt out with a vacuum cleaner ?

And one more question....
The manual says for long time storage you should remove the plugs, put oil in the holes and turn the engine a few times. Does anyone do this or is it just something they have to put in the manual ?

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts

The manual says for long time storage you should remove the plugs, put oil in the holes and turn the engine a few times. Does anyone do this or is it just something they have to put in the manual ?
Never heard of that either.

How long you talking here? No one I know does this for winter storage.

·
Ya wheelies is garbage!
5,935 Posts

I could see someone doing this and putting toomuch oil in and making an oil geyser when you turn the motor over.:lmao

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
My bike is going to stand in storage for about 5 months.
This is from the yamaha manual:

I guess if they say it's on then it's ok. I personally never done nor would I do it for just 5 months. I can be proven wrong though, I'm just telling you based off my experience.

My bike sits on stands, fuel stabi and that's it. This year I'm adding a battery tender.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
you could always buy a $5 can of compressed air like they use for electronics

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
I guess if they say it's on then it's ok. I personally never done nor would I do it for just 5 months. I can be proven wrong though, I'm just telling you based off my experience.

My bike sits on stands, fuel stabi and that's it. This year I'm adding a battery tender.
don't do the battery tender thing man. me and my buddies all never used one or quit using them and none of us have bought batteries in years.
mine is still the stock battery build date of sept 2002.
8 years old and still works fine.
my brothers 06 FZ6 stock battery
my friends 04 R6 stock battery.
3 right there never put on a tender or charger. I know more. about 8 of us total.

yuasa says if you store a battery in temps below 60 you only need to charge it once a month.
temps above 60 2 times a month.
if you have a AGM type battery they can sit 12 months without a charge.

·
Premium Member
17,965 Posts
don't do the battery tender thing man. me and my buddies all never used one or quit using them and none of us have bought batteries in years.
mine is still the stock battery build date of sept 2002.
8 years old and still works fine.
my brothers 06 FZ6 stock battery
my friends 04 R6 stock battery.
3 right there never put on a tender or charger. I know more. about 8 of us total.

yuasa says if you store a battery in temps below 60 you only need to charge it once a month.
temps above 60 2 times a month.
if you have a AGM type battery they can sit 12 months without a charge.
We've been over this.

I have a batter tender, I need something to charge the bike.

I don't keep it on all winter anyway.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In response to the oil in the cylinders...I use a fogging spray and do it to my bike every winter, I spray it into the carbs as well until the bike stutters and stalls out then into the cylinder and turn it over a couple times. helps keep things clean and stops build up. o and as for the battery i just remove it from the bike and store it some place dry in my garage.

·
RESPECT
29,160 Posts
I'm changing spark plugs for the first time soon and have a question...
I've been told i should clean out the hole with compressed air befor putting down the new plugs. I don't have an air gun and have no plans on buying one just for this so is there any other way to do it ? Can i use a vacuum cleaner or is there something down there that shouldn't be sucked up ?
:secret

you could always buy a $5 can of compressed air like they use for electronics
:sing

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
you can also huff that shit and get high as **** ! lol
:lmao

Actually you can't.. They put some coughing agent in it, and the second you inhale it you choke up and cough. I've tried it at work many times looking for a freebie.. :D

But you can hold it upside down and shoot out freezing liquid. You can also shoot it into a zip loc and seal it, then shake it and throw it under someones desk. It will explode eventually and scare the shit out of the person..

·
Banned
7,347 Posts
:lmao

Actually you can't.. They put some coughing agent in it, and the second you inhale it you choke up and cough. I've tried it at work many times looking for a freebie.. :D

But you can hold it upside down and shoot out freezing liquid. You can also shoot it into a zip loc and seal it, then shake it and throw it under someones desk. It will explode eventually and scare the shit out of the person..
you're probably not doing it right newbie. lol
some girl was doing it on that intervention show.
it messed her up pretty good and she was using a bunch of cans of that stuff. I was blown away how badly she was addicted to it.
she could probably save a lot of money just buying crack lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts