Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Waiting for remission...
2,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about changing the plugs in the bike very soon since I'm sure it hasn't been done and I've got just over 15k miles. Does everyone use NGK? Saw a post on here about someone using E3 spark plugs but it was four months old and only had one reply. Any suggestions?

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money on the iridiums. Not for a street bike anyway. I believe NGK is one of the only brands that make a plug for our bikes. Not certain but I have never seen any other major brands in searches anyway. our bikes should use the CR10EK or the CR9EK. the CR9EK is a hotter running plug and may produce a little better throttle response and perhaps a little more power. Not a guarantee though. I use the hottest plug that can be used without pinging. In my case a CR9EK works fine. I would find out what your bike came with. Some use the 10's and others the 9's. And you should be fine using the hotter plug if it came with the 10's. If it came with the 9's replace it with the 9's.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I put in the iridiums only because the stock plugs from the dealer were about $4 more expensive than the iridiums at the parts store.

·
deez nutz
1,558 Posts
i put the stock ngk in. I'm sure if there was a better plug, Yamaha would've put them in there from the factory.

·
Got street appeal?
1,656 Posts
NGK CR9E (single electrode), CR9EK (Stock dual electrode), CR9EIX (Iridium) CR10xxx (California models)

Denso IU01-27 (Iridium), U27ESRN (copper)

Autolite 4302

Bosch UR2CC

·
Registered
597 Posts
Like said before CR9's are a good jump off point if you play to mod your bike ie: PC, exhaust etc but if your just doing maintenance then the CR10's are great

·
crashing aint so bad
2,271 Posts
To be honest there may be no difference at all. The 9's should in essence give more power, but that isn't always true and it won't be much. It should at the least crispen up the throttle response. I'm sure you could put some 8's in there and it may do more. But you also stand the chance of putting a whole in your piston or burning valves. In either case sticking with the suggested plugs is always a good safe bet. The 600's all have 2 choices. One hot one cold.

·
Got street appeal?
1,656 Posts
CR9EIX. Harder electrode lasts longer, less resistance for better spark, less prone to fouling. For a few extra dollars you get a superior plug.

·
Yayyymaha
144 Posts
I wouldn't spend the money on the iridiums. Not for a street bike anyway. I believe NGK is one of the only brands that make a plug for our bikes. Not certain but I have never seen any other major brands in searches anyway. our bikes should use the CR10EK or the CR9EK. the CR9EK is a hotter running plug and may produce a little better throttle response and perhaps a little more power. Not a guarantee though. I use the hottest plug that can be used without pinging. In my case a CR9EK works fine. I would find out what your bike came with. Some use the 10's and others the 9's. And you should be fine using the hotter plug if it came with the 10's. If it came with the 9's replace it with the 9's.
according to my manual, i can use CR9EK or CR10EK. does anyone know of any sites to buy these plugs for a decent price?

edit: found it on amazon for $6.48, wish they came in packs of 4.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts