Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone change their plugs on 03 up model if so how long did it take and where did you get to em and any special tools thanks

·
ProStunter.com
91 Posts
Plugs

I did it & it was a nightmare... so many parts to remove & then the last plate had to be twisted off like a bitch... then the wires were so hard to remove, then finally the plugs, this isnt fun... oh & then after i was all back & running I heard a clicking sound, thought it was my valves, I was pissed... well after going to the dealer & then to the show, spoke to the Yamaha tech, he told me the plug rubber insulators are defective & it was a spark arcing sound I was hearing, so I suggest you bring it to the dealer & tell them to change the boots & while they are in there to do the plugs for a few bucks! :moon

·
Registered
8 Posts
For the 99-2001...I have a 99 R6 and it was not THAT bad...helps to have a second person around getting the tank off, but otherwise, it just requires some patience...really once you get the tank off it is smooth sailing. Just remove the airbox (might as well clean/change your air filter while youre at it), disconnect 3 hoses, and then the heat plate (the plastic piece that you DO have to twist like a bitch and is held on by those stupid quick fastners that Yamaha seems to love), remove the coils (turn them counterclockwise about six times...DONT just yank on them like a car) and away you go. I found that it helps to have a short extension on the plug socket with a knuckle (so you can manuever the wrench, plugs 1 and 4 are a little tight). Good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just attempted my first spark plug change on an `02 R6. My big mistake was assuming it was as easy as a truck! That heat shield IS a major biatch. 4 less spark plugs than a V8 and took 3 times as long! I'll just spend the 40 bucks charge for labor and have the dealership do it next time.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I just attempted my first spark plug change on an `02 R6. My big mistake was assuming it was as easy as a truck! That heat shield IS a major biatch. 4 less spark plugs than a V8 and took 3 times as long! I'll just spend the 40 bucks charge for labor and have the dealership do it next time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just changed my spark plugs last night, (first time doing it myself). Honestly I planned on doing a little bit of it last night and the rest tonight after reading about the heat shield so much. I'm not sure how much different my R6 is ('01), but I thought it was rather easy. All together it took me about an hour to do. On a side note, I took the rubber insulator boots off the coils and cleaned the connectors with alcohol and a toothbrush. A lot of sut was in there but it all came out sparkling!
:cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
MrR6IL said:
For the 99-2001...I have a 99 R6 and it was not THAT bad...helps to have a second person around getting the tank off, but otherwise, it just requires some patience...really once you get the tank off it is smooth sailing. Just remove the airbox (might as well clean/change your air filter while youre at it), disconnect 3 hoses, and then the heat plate (the plastic piece that you DO have to twist like a bitch and is held on by those stupid quick fastners that Yamaha seems to love), remove the coils (turn them counterclockwise about six times...DONT just yank on them like a car) and away you go. I found that it helps to have a short extension on the plug socket with a knuckle (so you can manuever the wrench, plugs 1 and 4 are a little tight). Good luck and have fun.

Why do you struggle with the tank so much ? just stick a football or something like that between the tank and the airbox so you can disconnect everything underneath. Its the easiest part of the plug job

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.