Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been wanting to paint my bike the only problem that i am having is I don't know if i have to use a certain paint because the plastic flexing. I don't race or anything so i don't take my plastics off for anything but general maintenance. i work painting jets and have access to the poly that is used for painting aircraft. I don't know if anyone has any experience doing this or not but any info would be helpful, thanks.

·
Registered
673 Posts
i just painted some panels on mine and used a plastic primer and then duplicolor ready-to-spray paint. and then like 10 layers of clear. remember to sand in between coats. I started at 400 with the primer, 800 after the first coulple of color coats, then 1000 and only 2000 for the clear. some people dont sand after the final clear coat but i did and then used a random orbit sander with a buffing pad and 3m rubbing compound to get the shine back. do that and it'll be smooth as glass, as long as you dont get any dust in the paint. also dont wax it for 30 days minimum after you finished so the paint can cure properly.

·
Registered
360 Posts
adhesion promoter and flex additive ftw

·
Registered
337 Posts
When I painted my bike I went to the local paint shop and asked them for advice. They were very helpful and set me up with the correct stuff for painting the plastics.

·
Parts Pimp
26,470 Posts
adhesion promoter and flex additive ftw
Is that what you had to use? I thought the flex additive was only for linoleum body panels

When I painted my bike I went to the local paint shop and asked them for advice. They were very helpful and set me up with the correct stuff for painting the plastics.
What'd they set you up with?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts