Yamaha R6 Forum: YZF-R6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok today was beautiful our here... so of course I took the 6 out for a stretch. En route home I found myself on a long straight stretch of road with some cars off in the far distance. They seemed to be taunting me. Daring me. So like any good R6 owner I took it. The throttle wouldn't turn towards me any further.... and as the cars in the distance got bigger, I looked down at the spedo and it was at 121 and climbing. The bike wanted to keep going, but I was almost on top of the cars in front of me, so I reluctantly let off.

This is my first R6 and this is the first chance I've had (and felt comfortabl) to open it up. What a [email protected]@#[email protected]#%$ I know from reading alot of you have gone alot faster, but I had to share... It's been the hightlight of my week.. (So far anyway :) )

I have a question... do you ever get so comfortable at that speed that your not telling yourself over and over... "Don't fall off.. don't loose it... Don't die.." ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
614 Posts
That's your first mistake. Don't be thinking negativly, just let your bike do the talk'n. I myself am a proud new owner of an 04 liquid silver R6 :cheers and i had the chance this past weekend to see what she was made of. Let's just say that at 260 km/h everything is too blurry to be thinking. We all can't go to a race track, but under certain circumstances ie: long open road, i think we all should crack that throttle and hold on. Just be smart about it. Like us bikers don't already get enough 6 o'clock news time. Anyways, Peace out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
I did the first few times on my old bike, and only once on my r6 did I go 150. other than that I havent gone much over 120 at all most you ride speeds in the back roads are between 80- 110 anyway. But It's good to be scared a little. but your bike is pretty stable so just hold on tight, and make sure you can see far ahead
 

·
looking for more curves
Joined
·
1,883 Posts
How can our bikes go that fsat 150+ when the R1 tops out at 186 or 187 (I forget what SportBike reported)? I mean the R1 has well over 50 more HP then our R6's but only goes 20 MPH faster? Just seems a little off to me. :eek:t

:cheers Stay rubber side down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,156 Posts
just remember that the stock speedo's are off and not in a linear way meaning that they are far less accurate as your speed increases. Its around 8-10% at the top end so if it says 165, its more like 148-150. at slower speeds, its closer to indicating actual speed.
 

·
Ride or Die
Joined
·
174 Posts
Last saturday I got my 04 liqued upto 178mph, no bs. Strait up I-95 in GA. Tshirt and jeans, no wind resistance, not really smart but I had the oppertunity and I took it. I had my chin resting between the tank and the triple,, crazy as hell. I don't see it going any faster. She hit the limiter at 178 and I about shit my pants and while I was slowing down I just happened to pass a cop when I was around 140 er something. and it does get a little blurry. lol :worship :stab
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
112 Posts
How can our bikes go that fsat 150+ when the R1 tops out at 186 or 187 (I forget what SportBike reported)? I mean the R1 has well over 50 more HP then our R6's but only goes 20 MPH faster? Just seems a little off to me.
They are electronically limited. The R1 is governed at 188 mph, and the R6 at 178 mph. (At least when the bike thinks it is going that fast.) Almost all the bikes are speed governed, the big thing with the Hayabusa is that there is no top speed governor, so you can go faster than most other production bikes. Hope this helps you out....

I bet skolar felt the limiter kick in: it cuts ignition on alternating cylinders to cut back power. Sounds scary, feels even more scary when you are going that fast.
 

·
Ride or Die
Joined
·
174 Posts
It felt like it shut off just like you said, then when it got down in speed it kicks back on. I thought I broke my bike but she still shits and gets. :cheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
289 Posts
NeuralOveride said:
Ok today was beautiful our here... so of course I took the 6 out for a stretch. En route home I found myself on a long straight stretch of road with some cars off in the far distance. They seemed to be taunting me. Daring me. So like any good R6 owner I took it. The throttle wouldn't turn towards me any further.... and as the cars in the distance got bigger, I looked down at the spedo and it was at 121 and climbing. The bike wanted to keep going, but I was almost on top of the cars in front of me, so I reluctantly let off.

This is my first R6 and this is the first chance I've had (and felt comfortabl) to open it up. What a [email protected]@#[email protected]#%$ I know from reading alot of you have gone alot faster, but I had to share... It's been the hightlight of my week.. (So far anyway :) )

I have a question... do you ever get so comfortable at that speed that your not telling yourself over and over... "Don't fall off.. don't loose it... Don't die.." ???
hey what up man, i live in watertown, MA. ive been looking for some MA riders on this forum. I think there is one other guy from MA. what do you have for a bike, i got an 04 R6 blue. where do you tend to ride?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
Finally raced my roommate's Turbo Charged IS300 (previous post). HE DIDN'T STAND A CHANCE.

Doing a running start @ approx. 55 mi/hr. I hit 125mi/hr in the blink of an eye, and never looked back.

Pulled off the exit, turned around towards my roommate's car, flipped my visor up....and smiled :laugh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,343 Posts
Dr Hodes. Theirs lots of things that controll top end speed. The R1 could have lower internal gearing than the R6 etc etc etc .

R6 owners also have almost 5,000 more rpm's.



But yes....speed is good. My bike see's an easy 130-140 usually at least once on a good days ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
an R1 governed at 188mph?? so if you raced one, you could just remove the governer and go faster? riiiiiiiiiiiiight. and the builders thought to themselves, "you know, we really don't want people to kill themselves on the street, let's govern it....let's say, ummmmmmmm 188mph?? yeah that sounds good!"

sorry for being sarcastic, but there is no way they are governed.

The faster you go, the more resistance you have due to wind, drag, and whatever else. It takes more hp to go faster at higher speeds. The amount of horsepower required is also dependent upon how much aerodynamics, weight, etc you have. i.e. a car would require A LOT more hp to pick up 5 mph at the top end, then a sport bike.

Gearing will also determine top speed. in some cases you will run out of power to go faster, other cases you might run out of RPMs.

Going fast is fun and all, but do it safely (not on the street).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
penfold said:
just remember that the stock speedo's are off and not in a linear way meaning that they are far less accurate as your speed increases. Its around 8-10% at the top end so if it says 165, its more like 148-150. at slower speeds, its closer to indicating actual speed.
Why would they be off?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
TWOtheONE said:
an R1 governed at 188mph?? so if you raced one, you could just remove the governer and go faster? riiiiiiiiiiiiight. and the builders thought to themselves, "you know, we really don't want people to kill themselves on the street, let's govern it....let's say, ummmmmmmm 188mph?? yeah that sounds good!"
Not saying you're wrong about the R1, but your example is flawed. I know it's rediculous, but what you're describing is exactly what happened a few years back. Manufacturers started governing bikes at less than 200 MPH. Something to do with threats from some European nations to stop importing the bikes because they were too fast.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
Code said:
Not saying you're wrong about the R1, but your example is flawed. I know it's rediculous, but what you're describing is exactly what happened a few years back. Manufacturers started governing bikes at less than 200 MPH. Something to do with threats from some European nations to stop importing the bikes because they were too fast.
now, i have been wrong 1000s of times before...but i don't remember reading ANYWHERE about the bike being governed. or any of them for that matter.

They make such a big deal about the bikes numbers on paper, and everyone wants to be at the top, why limit the overall performance of the bike?

it just does not make sense to me..... i'd like to see proof, but i am open to it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
281 Posts
just found an online test of the bike....nothing mentioned about a governer. or 188 mph. here is the clip....





Lighter, smaller, thinner, better, quicker… it all adds up to a claimed 172 hp at the crankshaft, which is a whopping 20-hp boost from last year! (There I go again…) Yamaha men say that number goes up to 180 hp with the assistance of ram-air induction at high speeds, something completely believable on this missile; one journo on our ride said he saw 186 mph on the speedo and it was still pulling. It's actually geared to top out at 197 mph (!) at its 13,750 redline if the motor could push through the wall of air at that speed.
 
1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Top